DirectX/ATI Tray tool interaction - anything to worry about?

sdrac

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2007
I was having some problems with my system (video card related) and trying to debug it when I discovered this issue.
I'm wondering if anyone else has seen it or knows if its anything to worry about (or not).

Anyway, I ran dxdiag and noticed that when I ran the 3d tests, the square that is supposed to be shown spinning is spinning so fast for the 7.0 test that you can't make it out, and for the 8.0 and 9.0 dx tests, its not even square in shape anymore - just a blob.
But if I do the following, I can then run the tests and see the square and logo clearly. This is
what I do:
Clean all my drivers for my video card off my PC:
- first un-install using add/remove from the control panel
- use driver cleaner or driver sweeper to remove remnants.
- do a safe boot and run driver clearer or sweeper one more time.

Next, reinstall the directx distribution from Microsoft (the latest available).

Next, reinstall the latest drivers from ATI (7.8 at this point).

After this, if I run the dxdiag tests, I can clearly see the square cube spinning with logo for all three tests with no problem.

Now - if I then install ATI Tray Tools, the dxdiag tests start to fail as I describe above. I have to remove ATI tray tools and then follow the procedure above to get them to pass again.

As soon as I install ATI tray tools, the problem re-occurs. I can reproduce this every time on two different systems, one with at x1950 pro and the other with an x850 XT (both on Asus A8V deluxe mobos).

I don't modify/configure ATI tray tools at all - as soon as I install this happens.

I don't know if this is the cause of my issues or not but it has me concerned that there is some interaction here that may be causing some type of issue within the video subsystem.

Anyone ever seen this or know if its anything to worry about?

thx,
Sdrac

sdrac

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2007
Rabid,
No, just the standard 7.8 driver distribution from ATI/AMD.

The dxDiag tests work fine with just the clean install of the directx lib's and the drivers.
It just goes haywire when I install the ATI Tray tools.

I don't know if that is anything to be concerned about or not. Hence the post.

Thx,
Sdrac

blade85

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2006
i used to get that super fast spin, but i cant remember how i solved it. I just remember installing the latest DX files from the windows website and that seemed to have done the trick.

edit: iv just installed the latest ATI tray tools and everything seems to be working just fine. Im using the Omega drivers though (7.4 i think) with my X1950 pro

sdrac

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2007
Thanks Blade.

Your previous post to me actually suggested reinstalling the DX files - when I did that and
then the drivers it fixed it.
But as soon as I install ATI tool it occurs again.
For me, two different A8V systems behave that way - I wonder if it could be that mobo (VIA chipset).

According to ATI tray tool author (Ray Adams), this is a known behavior and nothing to worry about :).

I don't know - makes me a bit uneasy - but I have nothing to show it really is an issue so I guess I just let it go.

Thx,
Sdrac