Broken CPU, Motherboard or Memory?

Status
Not open for further replies.

flak-monkey

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2007
My computer has suddenly started acting very strangely recently.

When I press the power button all of the internal lights turn on, the fans start up and so does the hard drive. However no image will appear on the screen, not even the boot sequence. Normally I would think this is a video card problem, or a problem with the monitor itself, however I have also noticed that there is no power going to the keyboard or mouse. This leads me to think that the motherboard or processor are broken. I have checked the power supply, and that is fine, but I also read that the memory can cause similar symptoms.

Does anybody have any suggestions on this?

DJ_Jumbles

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2007
If you have spare parts or can borrow them for troubleshooting, it will speed this along greatly. You can try a different video card, but I doubt that it's that. Also, I believe that you might be having a problem with memory, so you might want to try some different sticks (or stick.. it doesnt matter as long as it's good memory and is the same type that you use DDR, DDR2, etc). The easiest way to troubleshoot this is the minimal amount of time is to swap out memory and see if it posts. Then, try what evongugg said and take out the battery and clear the CMOS. If that works, then definately re-flash your BIOS afterwards. If that still doesnt work, it's going to be either your MB or CPU. At this point, go with the MB and swap it out. I'll bet money that it's the MB or memory.

flak-monkey

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2007
I managed to check that my power supply was working properly by connecting a power supply from another computer to the motherboard and hard drive, but the the same thing happened, nothing on the screen and no power to the peripherals. Also my computer has never 'beeped' during start up, the internal speaker is not connected at the moment but when it was, I am sure that there was never any beeps. I shall see if I can borrow some different memory sticks off a friend to try out, and i think i have access to another grapics card that I could try.

I shall report back once I have done these things.

Thanks for your help so far.

gillesdegs

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2009
hey guy's

glad i found this post.
im having the same problem flak-monkey. everything starts up but im not getting anything on the screen, keyboard and mouse not getting any power. changed the MB but got the same result..... havent had the chance to change the memory..
will keep you posted on my findings.

greets

dcasciato

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2009
This is a very interesting thread... I am having a problem even earlier on... when I press the power button - nothing, no fan jerk, no flash absolutely nothing happens... where should I begin... thanks for the help...

gillesdegs

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2009
have you checked out the power supply? is it capable of giving enough watt to let te comp start up...
had the problem aswell. in my case it was the on-switch wich probebly had a damaged cable..

greetz

Synergy86

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2009
Hi - I'm having exactly the same problem with my computer. Bought a load of new hardware (mobo, cpu, memory, gfx card) and fitted it all - computer would POST but would never display anything. Figured it might have been my 500W PSU not being able to cope (ive got an Intel E5400, and an EN9500GT 1GB graphics card, along with a few other PCI bits, 2 hard drives and an optical drive) so I bought an 800W one - same problem. Sent the motherboard away, and they sent a replacement. Fitted it today and the exact same problem is occurring, POSTs but won't do anything else. Could it be the processor? Any help would be much appreciated.

Mo

G

Information:
My boss at work has a computer which turns on but does not do the usual checks or beeps once powered on. I tested the RAM with other sticks, I put a graphics card in (was using onboard untill then), I tried a different PSU, I disconnected everything except what is needed to get a BOOT UP screen going. Heck, I even tried a different VGA cable incase that was it. I then bought a compatible motherboard off ebay, thinking it might be the motherboard that has gone. Installed the new motherboard and the problem remains. I have now come to believe the CPU must be the problem. My reason is this...

If you ever boot up with no RAM it will beep at you... this computer doesn't. It is this which makes me believe the computer doesn't even get to the point where it does the RAM check. And this is usually the first thing a computer does. I've tried turning a PC on before with no CPU and it gave the exact same result/sympton that this PC is showing. Just wish I remembered that before I had gone and ordered the new motherboard. :lol:

Currently I am waiting for a replacement CPU to try out. Although at this point I'm very confident it is the CPU to blame.

Problem:
Computer powers ON but black screen and no beeps or POST/BOOT screen.

Checks:
Replaced RAM - no difference.
Replaced PSU - no difference.
Replaced Motherboard - no difference.
Disconnected HDD, DVD, FANS, etc - no difference.
Installed GFX card - no difference.
Replaced VGA cable - no difference.
Removed RAM (make it beep) - no difference (no beeping).

Conclusion:
Not tried as of yet to replace CPU. This is most probably the cause. Waiting for delivery of new CPU so I can test it. Will report back when/if I can when I get the result of the test.

Hope thats helps anyone with a similar problem. :hello:

Raidur

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2008

Sounds like RAM to me!

Information:
My boss at work has a computer which turns on but does not do the usual checks or beeps once powered on. I tested the RAM with other sticks, I put a graphics card in (was using onboard untill then), I tried a different PSU, I disconnected everything except what is needed to get a BOOT UP screen going. Heck, I even tried a different VGA cable incase that was it. I then bought a compatible motherboard off ebay, thinking it might be the motherboard that has gone. Installed the new motherboard and the problem remains. I have now come to believe the CPU must be the problem. My reason is this...

If you ever boot up with no RAM it will beep at you... this computer doesn't. It is this which makes me believe the computer doesn't even get to the point where it does the RAM check. And this is usually the first thing a computer does. I've tried turning a PC on before with no CPU and it gave the exact same result/sympton that this PC is showing. Just wish I remembered that before I had gone and ordered the new motherboard. :lol:

Currently I am waiting for a replacement CPU to try out. Although at this point I'm very confident it is the CPU to blame.

Problem:
Computer powers ON but black screen and no beeps or POST/BOOT screen.

Checks:
Replaced RAM - no difference.
Replaced PSU - no difference.
Replaced Motherboard - no difference.
Disconnected HDD, DVD, FANS, etc - no difference.
Installed GFX card - no difference.
Replaced VGA cable - no difference.
Removed RAM (make it beep) - no difference (no beeping).

Conclusion:
Not tried as of yet to replace CPU. This is most probably the cause. Waiting for delivery of new CPU so I can test it. Will report back when/if I can when I get the result of the test.

Hope thats helps anyone with a similar problem. :hello:

Good god I hate working all the way down to the CPU like that. :/ Case shorting possible?

OP:

Let us know how it goes! $20 says it was your RAM. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.