Brand New Raptor Temperature Issues

rorus

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2007
Just installed a brand new WD Raptor X 150GB Hard Drive into a P182 case. I am using the lower drive bay, so it is isolated from all of my fans (I had to remove the fan in the lower bay due to PSU chords hitting the fan blades).

I am showing the Raptor running at 47C under almost all conditions. That temp seems a bit high. Anyone have any suggestions? Is this temp something I should be worried about?

rorus

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2007
I've read the spec sheet on their website. Wasn't what I was looking for. Intel's spec sheets claim their processors can run at 70C but is it a good idea? Probably not. Anyone have any actual experience with the drive and know whether 47-50C is ok?

blashyrkh

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2007
I have a Raptor 160Gb installed infront of my 12cm intake fan allong with my other WD 500Gb storage drive. This summer was as hot as hell and my drive operated at about 52 degrees C constantly. If you look back in the foroums you'll probably come across my posts. It turns out that it has no problem and it works like a clock. 55 degrees is the upper limit WD gives to us, the consumers but I've been in a WD testing facility (family member has high position in WD) and they actually put the drives into furnaces (yes they do!!) upto 80 degrees crash testing them to hell and they actually work with no issues. So, don't trouble yourself that much. The only thing that can happen due to heat, (and that's at temps much over 55) is loss of data integrity as the only heat sensitive matterial on the drive are the platers with could partially demagnetize due to increased heat. Loss of data aint that big a deal since raptors should only be used for loading OS and Progs, not sensitive data.
Remember that Raptors are the absolute dogs when it comes to operating conditions and high load. Can't wait to get my hands on a new RaptorII 15k drive this summer!!!