Question about HDTV PC card receiver

Last response: in Home Theatre
a b C Monitor
March 26, 2005 1:59:57 AM

How does OTA HD actually look on a PC monitor using one of the HD PCI
card receivers? I have never see any DVD or NTSC video that was worth
watching on a computer monitor, either CRT or LCD.

How does an NTSC receiver card look? Everything I have seen looks very
lo-res and generally hard to watch.

I have plugged an LCD monitor into the RGB output of a Professional
HDTV receiver and, while better, it was still nothing special.

Is this like the Emperor's new clothes or what?

Phil
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
March 26, 2005 2:46:18 PM

Thanks for a useful response.

On Sat, 26 Mar 2005 16:25:35 GMT, "T Shadow" <knone@zilch.com.invalid>
wrote:

<snip>
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
March 26, 2005 4:28:02 PM

"Phil Witt" <w4imm@charter.net> wrote in message
> How does OTA HD actually look on a PC monitor using one of the HD PCI
> card receivers? I have never see any DVD or NTSC video that was worth
> watching on a computer monitor, either CRT or LCD.
>
> How does an NTSC receiver card look? Everything I have seen looks very
> lo-res and generally hard to watch.
>
> I have plugged an LCD monitor into the RGB output of a Professional
> HDTV receiver and, while better, it was still nothing special.
>
> Is this like the Emperor's new clothes or what?
>
> Phil

If you are serious about what you have seen from software DVD players and PC
tuners something not right.
a b C Monitor
March 26, 2005 10:05:23 PM

On Sat, 26 Mar 2005 13:28:02 -0500, "jolt" <ergoacess@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>If you are serious about what you have seen from software DVD players and PC
>tuners something not right.

Pretty much serious. I have quite a few computer monitors and PCs
available to me and I've never seen anything that actually looked good
or even really usable for viewing. Also tried composite video to VGA
through one of those black box converters and it looked just as bad.
Same thing at home with 19" LCD/CRT matrox 64 dual head card and
nVidia 128mmeg card.

CRT monitors look a tad better than LCD but not something I would want
to watch. That's my experience so far.

I haven't seen a PC tuner, either analog or digital, and that was the
reason for my question.
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
March 27, 2005 1:02:00 AM

> On Sat, 26 Mar 2005 13:28:02 -0500, "jolt" <ergoacess@yahoo.com>
> wrote:
>

>>If you are serious about what you have seen from software DVD players and
>>PC
>>tuners something not right.
>
> Pretty much serious. I have quite a few computer monitors and PCs
> available to me and I've never seen anything that actually looked good
> or even really usable for viewing. Also tried composite video to VGA
> through one of those black box converters and it looked just as bad.
> Same thing at home with 19" LCD/CRT matrox 64 dual head card and
> nVidia 128mmeg card.
>
> CRT monitors look a tad better than LCD but not something I would want
> to watch. That's my experience so far.
>
> I haven't seen a PC tuner, either analog or digital, and that was the
> reason for my question.

I've seen both good and bad, but many of the problems are software not
hardware. To get a point to start from you could take a look at some MCE
2005 PCs at a local electronics store. While by no means the only way to go
it would give you an idea of what is considered good in the average price
range.

Tuner cards with mpeg 2 decoders, and Windows XP have brought a lot to media
PCs and how turners display interlaced video. Explore some more I think
you'll be surprised. Also I never seen a HD turner card that wouldn't get
you comments and questions from family and friends.
!