Turning off HKCMD.EXE

I have a PC running XP Home SP2. One of the programs running in
msconfig is HKCMD.EXE, which is associated with Intel's HotKeys commands. I
have hotkeys disabled, yet HKCMD still appears in my MSCONFIG lineup. There
are 3rd party programs which will disable it, or I could turn it off via
msconfig itself. However, I'd prefer to do it via the Intel software or
thru Windows. Is that possible?

I've done several searches on the Internet regarding this issue, and
most suggest disabling HKCMD via the Display option in Control Panel.
However, as I said, the Hotkeys command is already disabled there.

Is HKCMD checked or unchecked in msconfig?

As in enabled or disabeled.

If it is unchecked/disabled...

go here...

Read instructions at the top.
Scroll down to:
148. Right hand side.
Click on:
Clear Disabled Items from Msconfig Startup
-----

Clean-up the MSCONFIG startup tab listings - Windows XP
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/MSCONFIG.htm

Disabled items are in >>>

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shared Tools\MSConfig\startupfolder
and
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shared Tools\MSConfig\startupreg

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:e1Ti4UAgFHA.3912@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
History Fan <Unknowntome@unknown.com> hunted and pecked:
> I've done several searches on the Internet regarding this issue, and
> most suggest disabling HKCMD via the Display option in Control Panel.
> However, as I said, the Hotkeys command is already disabled there.

Just disable it via MSCONFIG. That way if you find you do need it, its easy enough to put back.

Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
http://www.dougknox.com
--------------------------------
--------------------------------
Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

"History Fan" <Unknowntome@unknown.com> wrote in message news:%23BelITAgFHA.2268@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> I have a PC running XP Home SP2. One of the programs running in
> msconfig is HKCMD.EXE, which is associated with Intel's HotKeys commands. I
> have hotkeys disabled, yet HKCMD still appears in my MSCONFIG lineup. There
> are 3rd party programs which will disable it, or I could turn it off via
> msconfig itself. However, I'd prefer to do it via the Intel software or
> thru Windows. Is that possible?

HKCMD is checked. At least it was. I went ahead and installed a
small program from Mike Lin called "Startup Control Panel" that lets you
configure which programs run at startup.

> Is HKCMD checked or unchecked in msconfig?
>
> As in enabled or disabeled.
>
> If it is unchecked/disabled...
>
> go here...
>
> Read instructions at the top.
> Scroll down to:
> 148. Right hand side.
> Click on:
> Clear Disabled Items from Msconfig Startup
> -----
>
> Clean-up the MSCONFIG startup tab listings - Windows XP
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/MSCONFIG.htm
>
> Disabled items are in >>>
>
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shared Tools\MSConfig\startupfolder
> and
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shared Tools\MSConfig\startupreg
>

> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>
> Wes
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> In news:e1Ti4UAgFHA.3912@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
> History Fan <Unknowntome@unknown.com> hunted and pecked:
>> I've done several searches on the Internet regarding this issue, and
>> most suggest disabling HKCMD via the Display option in Control Panel.
>> However, as I said, the Hotkeys command is already disabled there.

Glad to hear it. Keep having fun.

BTW, I've added Startup Control Panel to my list. ;-)

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User