Sign in with
Your question

computer not seeing 2nd hard drive

Last response: in Storage
November 5, 2007 8:31:26 PM

Hello, I just installed a second sata hard drive. when I go to my computer it is no where to be found? though It shows up in bios and device manager... am i missing something or is there something I still need to do?

this is what I did...
1. put new hd into computer :) 
2. hooked up sata cable to mobo and hd
3. hooked power cable to hd
4. started pc
November 5, 2007 9:00:27 PM

i didnt format it yet.. so im guessing that is the problem

ok new questions... I set the new drive to basic, do i want to set it to primary partiton or extended partition? ill be using it for my documents and itunes only. Im guessing i should set this to primary but i thought i would ask 1st
a b G Storage
November 5, 2007 9:03:03 PM

Right-Click on 'My Computer' and select 'Manage'. From there, go to 'Disk Management' and activate, partition, and format your new hard drive. For a separate physical hard drive, select primary partition. Hope this helps.
Related resources
November 5, 2007 9:44:56 PM

thanks for the help, ill give that a go
January 26, 2009 2:47:41 AM

rwpritchett said:
Right-Click on 'My Computer' and select 'Manage'. From there, go to 'Disk Management' and activate, partition, and format your new hard drive. For a separate physical hard drive, select primary partition. Hope this helps.

Help I am having the same problem but I am not given the option to activate my drive or partition it or anything. I can see the drive in the disk Management but it won't let me do anything with it.
!