wildman999

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2006
Ive never overclocked anything before. I am looking to buy a q6600. Does anyone know a noobie guide to overclocking? I would appreciate the help.

localcpuguy

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2007
This forum alone is LOADED with tons of Q6600 overclocking things. see what ppl are safely getting for overclocks, buy an after-market fan if you plan on overclocking it, and take your time adjusting FSB Freq and CPU multiplier

wildman999

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2006
I can get the hardware, but its the actual overclock that I have no clue how to do. Are there any beginners guides or sites?

dragonsprayer

Splendid
Jan 3, 2007
its really important to know which chip and mobo

old q6600 is 2.7ghz for 560i to 3.25ghz for 680i - depends on brand

new q6600 is 3.3-3.8ghz depends on brand mobo

set you voltage to 1.475 see if you can get 1.42v

if so then u can get high 3ghz+

Gh0stDrag0n

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2006

:non: There is a lot more to Overclocking a CPU than a voltage boost. dragonsprayer dosn't know what he is talking about. :pfff:

Read this guide.
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/240001-29-howto-overclock-quads-duals-guide

Hatman

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2004
Still he has some point, if you want to go to your processors max, its a good idea to shove the voltage up to find its maximum, then work down in voltage.

Gh0stDrag0n

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2006

:pfff: The title of the thread states the OP hasn't overclocked before, telling him or her to max out voltage without explaining the reason for doing so, what else must be done, and how long the process will take is dumb. It isn't a magical five second one step number change. The OP asked for a overclocking guide, not someone's overclocking fairytale.

Gh0stDrag0n

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2006

Why is your username SpeedBird? ;)

:pfff: The thing that some of us sometimes forget is that the quickest way to release the magical blue smoke that keeps our babies running is by giving them more voltage than they want to swallow, hence they choke, cough and spew forth above mentioned blue smoke, which is never good :non: and will just result in [:mousemonkey:4] followed by :cry: .

@ OP read this :- http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/240001-29-howto-overclock-quads-duals-guide think about it, digest and read again, rinse and repeat until you understand what you are letting yourself in for, should you still wish continue then we will be more than happy to welcome you to the dark side.

speedbird

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2007
Overclocking....

Can reduce the life of a component or cause immediate component failure

Invalidates the CPU manufacturers warranty

I believe these risks are reasonable if the CPU needs a boast especially if it's older. Overclocking a Quad will bring Zero visible difference at present except an edge in benchmarks. I think it's a bad ideal to risk an already fast new CPU for little gain. The question to ask ones self is 'Can I afford to replace this if it goes wrong?'.
I am just airing my view of common sense especially as this poster said they didn't know anything about overclocking and telling this poster to set their maximum voltage is asking for trouble :sarcastic: Small voltage increases is the correct way to do it until the chip is stable.

speedbird

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2007

I called myself that because I'm interested in aviation :) Speedbird is a callsign used by British Airways during air traffic control procedures

wildman999

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2006
I will read that post and thanks for the replies. I am definately going with the Q6600, but am unsure on a mobo atm. Are the EVGA 680i any good? And im sure ill overclock sooner or later, I guess why not start now. And I do understand the risks.

Quote from the Wiki 'In addition to the standard Speedbird callsign, Concorde flights added Concorde to notify Air Traffic Control of the aircraft's unique abilities and restrictions. The Flight numbers of the BA Concorde flights were 001–004; BA Concordes therefore used call signs Speedbird Concorde 1 through to Speedbird Concorde 4. With the retirement of Concorde those flight numbers are now unused. French Concordes used the standard "Air France" callsign'

So I was sort of right, I just can't spell Concorde. :)

DarkPheonix

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2006

I have an older Q6600 (B3 stepping) and a eVGA 680i SLI mobo. Everything works quite well, def. recommended. Only thing is that if you are going to overclock, (I haven't, except for the EPP stuff with my RAM), the Zalman CNPS 9700NT that I got doesn't fit by default, I had to borrow an x-acto knife from a neighbor to trim down a couple areas on the backplate so it would fit over a couple capacitors that were sticking out the back. If you plan on doing stock-heatsink overclocking though, I don't think you would have any of those problems cause the stock heatsink doesn't use a backplate.

I sorta-agree though, I have definitely had a couple situations where I have had 100% CPU utilization in vista ultimate x64, but for games and such you're going to usually be more GPU limited. Now I got a 8800 ultra, so most of the games I play are actually CPU limited right now, but in such cases you're going to be getting well over the magic 60 FPS so it doesn't matter anyways. I haven't tried any multi-core optimized games (e.g. supreme commander) but I reckon that once those do start coming out then it MIGHT be worth overclocking a quad.