Sign in with
Your question

Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R :Documenting my issues with audio(stutter) & RAID

Last response: in Motherboards
August 21, 2007 9:23:01 PM

In trying to lend a hand with the community, I'm going to document my struggles with this board in the hopes that Toms forum can assist me in deciding to send it back in the hopes of getting a rev 2 board or perhaps deciding on a different board altogether, possibly the Asus P5K-E but it would seem that they are having their own issues with RAID on the ICH9R as well, but they do have ADI sound instead and that alone may be worth it because this realtek stuff just seems odd.

Here's my setup:
SOUND ISSUES ARE ISSUE independent OF THE NEXT MENTIONED RAID ISSUE, I am not even bothering with RAID on the ICH9R sata ports anymore as I have had too many issues.
Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R
Intel Q6600
G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)
Windows XP sp2
Here's the fun stuff. Lets start with sound / audio.

1. This board has the realtek onboard HD sound. What I have found is that IF I have AHCI mode enabled , the sound is immediately jacked. Basically what this means is that the sound is immediately plagued with stuttering, skips, and delays in ANY audio application or video app with sound. I have used winamp , media player classic, VLC , on and on , you name it i've tried it. All the same results. IN FACT, even using the realtek bee buzzing demo produces skipping.
2. If I disable AHCI mode my issues immediately go away.
3. I have assured that I have all the latest/greatest drivers.
4. I have reloaded the OS numerous times, changed other settings in the BIOS because I figured no way in hell it was AHCI but that IS IT .
5. I have the latest BIOS from Gigabyte.
6. According to disk benchmarks , with AHCI mode disabled my disk access times are better as well. *shrug*

I'm curious if anyone could verify this if they also have the same motherboard as I do.

Next issue.

I attempted to setup RAID on this board and it seemed to work fine , here's how i attempted to do it:
Keep in mind all of these drives are/were connected to the ICH9R chipset SATA ports
1. WD 500 gb just a single OS drive
2. WD 500 gb * 2 as a RAID 1 pair.

I saw the RAID status of the RAID1 pair constantly fail and need rebuilding. I gave up and moved the pair to the "giga raid" ports and I don't seem to have any issues thus far.

Basically I'm wondering at this point if the ICH9R chipset is just crappy when it comes to any kind of RAID , I seem to be seeing alot of issues out on the net with it and RAID in general.

Now with that being said, I am wondering if sound on the Asus P5K-E would be better with the ADI setup?

I don't want to add in a sound card, but I would be willing to get a decent RAID card if indeed the ICH9R chipset is just junk for RAID applications in general.
September 2, 2007 6:04:15 AM

Very happy that you posted that message, after days of struggling with the same issue on a Gigabye ga-ma69gm-s2h board. I was building a htpc with the s2h board and i installed vista with sata set to ahci in the bios. After the install i got problems with stuttering sound and video, and vista using 70-80% cpu and slowing down to a crawl.

I checked the event log and there was nothing, i installed 12.784 versions of the realtek driver, i looked for irq conflicts, reinstalled vista. And finnaly i thought i had it when i switched off all the usb ports in the bios. This was very strange Ahci enabled plus usb disabled gave perfect sound/video and vista runned normally. But without usb what can you do.. I was sure this motherboard had an irq problem as the usb uses 5 of them (!) and it was shared with the onboard sound and video.

Yesterday i was ready to call it a day and throw the whole thing on Ebay, till i found your message here on tom's. Went to the bios, switched sata from ahci to ide and everything is normal now !

However there is something seriously wrong with gigabyte boards, as my board has a totally different chipset from yours. Another htpc with an asus m2a-vm hdmi has zero problems with ahci enabled. Too bad i have to keep this gigabyte board as it's the only one that has component video out without a full size card. The pc has to fit in a low profile htpc case, lian li's pc-c35b.

Thanks for your post ! :) 
September 8, 2007 1:36:03 PM

I am having the same problems and unfortunately setting the SATA to IDE did not work.

I have a 2.33GHZ core 2 Duo
1GB of DDR2 ram
ATI HD 2600 PRO hooked up via HDMI
ASUS P5K-VM MOBO (INTEL G300 chipset)

The audio stutters with both the HDMI connection and the coaxial ouput with the MOBO, I got all the most up to date drivers but I cant figure this out, I;m sure this set-up is good enough to play an MP3 in VLC.
Related resources
September 8, 2007 5:44:29 PM

"Now with that being said, I am wondering if sound on the Asus P5K-E would be better with the ADI setup?"

I have the same kind of audio stuttering problem with a P5K-E and its ADI chipset...
September 8, 2007 7:14:25 PM

gts24 said:
In trying to lend a hand with the community, I'm going to document my struggles with this board in the hopes that Toms forum can assist me in deciding to send it back in the hopes of getting a rev 2 board or perhaps deciding on a different board altogether, possibly the Asus P5K-E but it would seem that they are having their own issues with RAID on the ICH9R as well, but they do have ADI sound instead and that alone may be worth it because this realtek stuff just seems odd.

Here's my setup:
SOUND ISSUES ARE ISSUE independent OF THE NEXT MENTIONED RAID ISSUE, I am not even bothering with RAID on the ICH9R sata ports anymore as I have had too many issues.
Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R
Intel Q6600
G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)
Windows XP sp2
Here's the fun stuff. Lets start with sound / audio.

1. This board has the realtek onboard HD sound. What I have found is that IF I have AHCI mode enabled , the sound is immediately jacked. Basically what this means is that the sound is immediately plagued with stuttering, skips, and delays in ANY audio application or video app with sound. I have used winamp , media player classic, VLC , on and on , you name it i've tried it. All the same results. IN FACT, even using the realtek bee buzzing demo produces skipping.
2. If I disable AHCI mode my issues immediately go away.
3. I have assured that I have all the latest/greatest drivers.
4. I have reloaded the OS numerous times, changed other settings in the BIOS because I figured no way in hell it was AHCI but that IS IT .
5. I have the latest BIOS from Gigabyte.
6. According to disk benchmarks , with AHCI mode disabled my disk access times are better as well. *shrug*

I'm curious if anyone could verify this if they also have the same motherboard as I do.

Next issue.

I attempted to setup RAID on this board and it seemed to work fine , here's how i attempted to do it:
Keep in mind all of these drives are/were connected to the ICH9R chipset SATA ports
1. WD 500 gb just a single OS drive
2. WD 500 gb * 2 as a RAID 1 pair.

I saw the RAID status of the RAID1 pair constantly fail and need rebuilding. I gave up and moved the pair to the "giga raid" ports and I don't seem to have any issues thus far.

Basically I'm wondering at this point if the ICH9R chipset is just crappy when it comes to any kind of RAID , I seem to be seeing alot of issues out on the net with it and RAID in general.

Now with that being said, I am wondering if sound on the Asus P5K-E would be better with the ADI setup?

I don't want to add in a sound card, but I would be willing to get a decent RAID card if indeed the ICH9R chipset is just junk for RAID applications in general.

Ok bud, this one is simple. If AHCI is causing a problem, disable it. If for some reason you need it[can't imagine why...], then get a PCI sound card. Whether you want one or not, they are totally superior to onboard sound. I personally NEVER use onboard sound. It takes up CPU and system resources that would otherwise be free when good[key word there] PCI sound cards are used. I loved the Creative Labs Audigy series cards, but I have the X-Fi and it is simply amazing! :D  Even the SB Live 5.1 would be better then onboard sound... Turtle beach makes good cards too, but they also tend to use more system resources then Audigy and X-Fi.

As far as the IHC9-R issues. The "Giga-RAID" ports are where they are supposed to be. Those ports are how the board interfaces with the RAID functions of the chipset.
September 9, 2007 10:37:42 AM

ICH9R Raid port, I had no problem pairing, but the disk drivers had problems. When installing windows, u have to press F6 then problem is they always say my floppy is not copied correctly. Well... i'm sure my floppy disk and drive has no problem and I have the right drivers. Followed exact from menu. Anyway, I switched to Gigabytes RAID, gone through everything quite smoothly apart from that I forgot to set in BIOS hard disk priorities which caused XP to have some stupid conflict when installing programs and defragging. All sort out now.

O, btw, I went well with ICH9R Raid 5 though. I just want RAID 0 hence the problem came up. I don't understand why either but I'm not bothering anymore! Just stick with gigabytes RAID
September 10, 2007 8:42:52 PM

lexluthermiester said:
Ok bud, this one is simple. If AHCI is causing a problem, disable it. If for some reason you need it[can't imagine why...], then get a PCI sound card. Whether you want one or not, they are totally superior to onboard sound. I personally NEVER use onboard sound. It takes up CPU and system resources that would otherwise be free when good[key word there] PCI sound cards are used. I loved the Creative Labs Audigy series cards, but I have the X-Fi and it is simply amazing! :D  Even the SB Live 5.1 would be better then onboard sound... Turtle beach makes good cards too, but they also tend to use more system resources then Audigy and X-Fi.

As far as the IHC9-R issues. The "Giga-RAID" ports are where they are supposed to be. Those ports are how the board interfaces with the RAID functions of the chipset.

Disabling AHCI doesnt solve the problem.

There is no "good" PCI sound card.
What's good is using the SPDIF output connected to a good A/V receiver. And that's what I do.

Provided I simply use the SPDIF out, there is no difference about CPU usage if I use the integrated audio chipset or another one on a PCI sound card.
September 10, 2007 11:19:30 PM

tenofzero, I posted a message a few days ago about a conflict I had with onboard sound (different board, though), and the HD2600 XT. It was pegging one of my CPU's cores at 100% in the csrss.exe process. Turning off the service that supported the onboard sound solved the CPU problem - which would also tend to solve a problem with skipping sound and video.

If you search for csrss.exe, you might find it.
September 18, 2007 7:59:04 AM

I would not switch of the csrss process :

This is the user-mode portion of the Win32 subsystem (with Win32.sys being the kernel-mode portion). Csrss stands for client/server run-time subsystem and is an essential subsystem that must be running at all times. Csrss is responsible for console windows, creating and/or deleting threads, and some parts of the 16-bit virtual MS-DOS environment.
September 19, 2007 12:52:18 PM

Same problem, same solution here!

Gigabyte GA-P35-DS4 rev 1.0. Audio has gaps and clicks - like a buffer overflowing. Can't listen to CDs or make a VOIP call cleanly. Interestingly, the same problem happens on both speaker (via motherboard Realtek chip) and USB headset.

Spent a couple of frustrating days trying everything and searching everywhere.

I had RAID1 running with two WD Raptors, on the Intel RAID chip, with latest drivers for Realtek, Intel chipset, Matrix Storage Manager etc.

Turning off RAID and going back to plain old SATA drives appears to have fixed the sound problem.
October 3, 2007 9:11:28 PM

I solved a problem very much like this today, and I was lucky to come across the solution. I searched high and low to find it.

For me, my sound/mouse/video would stutter when my hard drive was accessed sometimes. I had just replaced the motherboard since my last one died. My old motherboard was an Asus P5W/DH and the new one is a P5K. I'm running core2duo 6300, 2GB of ram, and 2 IDE HDD's. Both motherboards have a JMicron HDD controller, and I was sure to update the driver in windows when I put the new mobo in.

The solution came from HERE (I don't want to claim it as my own idea!)
http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=189057&page=2...

and more specifically, a file from here:
http://www.station-drivers.com/page/jmicron.htm

It's as simple as this: the JMicron driver that was bundled with the P5K installed itself automatically for SATA. I don't have SATA, I have IDE drives. When I downloaded the driver from the above site, it actually asked me if I have SATA or IDE. Once I chose IDE, the problem was INSTANTLY fixed. (also, the "updated" drivers from the ASUS website didn't fix my problem)

I can't tell you how many forums I read to finally get the solution, and there's so many people making so many diagnoses' about temperature levels, graphics card drivers, and so on, and they haven't actually suffered the problem themselves.

And then, when each person solves the problem for themselves, they are then happy, and probably don't bother to let everyone else know how!
a c 117 V Motherboard
October 3, 2007 9:47:19 PM

My raid(on the ICH9r) works fine on the P35 DS3R....

It was created on my P5W DH, but I do not think that matters much...

Also all 6 ports are full with no problems. but i do not have AHCI as far as i know either...
October 14, 2007 8:55:03 PM

When the ICH9R controller is set as RAID, it automatically enabled ACHI as well (for the remaining ports).

I had a ton of trouble getting Win x64 installed on the P35C-DS3R (floppy issues above), and was able to finally get up and running by using UBCD4Win and the copying the drivers for both the ICH9R and the Gigabyte RAID controller to the System32, System32/Drivers and Inf directories once the installer had copied everything over to my RAID5 setup (you might want to consider slipstreaming the install, though).

I'll make this suggestion, too... don't mess around with the Stripe size on the ICH9R. Leave it at 64KB. I tried a couple of different Stripe sizes based on some performance gains I've seen in the past with other controllers, and my read time plummeted.

I didn't even bother trying the onboard sound as it usually stinks... I will suggest the bGears B-Enspirer soundcard, though. It'll upmix anything on the fly to 5.1, 6.1 or 7.1 and output Dolby Digital or PCM. Worth the $90 or so buck imho.
November 7, 2007 8:08:00 PM

Hi Guys

Just build a new graphics workstation here and having issues with windows install...
DS3R / Corsair 2GB PC6400C4 / 2x 500 GB samsungs(on gsata ports in raid0) / 8800GTS

Windows boot loader will blue screen if I don't F6 for additional drivers, and will load the gigaraid drivers if I do press F6 and then displays 2 unknown drives and blue screens if i try anything from there. Turned AHCI on and off with no difference. Please Help.
a c 117 V Motherboard
November 7, 2007 9:00:31 PM

did you make the boot disk?

pressing F6 tells the computer to look on its floppy drive. If you dont have on borrow one and use the gigabyte CD to make a F6 disk for GSATA....

Then when you try to boot windows insert the disk.....press F6 and it should load the drivers off it.....

http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/Motherboard/Driver_M...
near the bottom there are drivers for 32 bit and 64 bit windows systems...

this file will extract what you need....then place those files on a disk....
November 7, 2007 9:47:28 PM

Indeed the boot disk is a must for pre-vista raided systems. I have since plugged the samsungs into the ICH9R and raided it that way with no issues or blue screens .... is this an indication of a bad/faulty gsata processor/ports?
a c 117 V Motherboard
November 7, 2007 10:06:59 PM

Maybe vista has Intel Matrix drivers built in? Gsata(J micron) is less common..

I know i needed a driver for XP with ICH9r (raid 0)

I only use the Intel ones anyway...since they are a little faster and such...The g-sata's are set to IDE mode for use with DVD drives and temp drives(E-sata)
November 7, 2007 10:37:59 PM

I *am* installing XP on both machines ... need a boot disk for both GSATA and ICH9R chipsets however the gsata blue screens after returning with the setup screen saying unknown devices(hard drives) this in when on the GSATA port in or out of RAID mode.... very strange
a c 117 V Motherboard
November 7, 2007 11:06:54 PM

very strange indeed....

Maybe contact gigabyte and see if its a known issue?
November 23, 2007 11:38:24 PM

Hey,
I too have a similar problem with my sound. I can't figure it out for the life of me. I am running on a Commando but my RAID is set to RAID not AHCI. So I don't really know whether to swap to AHCI or what. I don't see the point in installing a Sound Card considering the quality of the onboard sound with this MOBO anyways. Mind you I'm ready to turf this Commando for my old ASUS P5W DH Deluxe.. as it OC'd better than this board but it had the same sound problem. What I don't understand is why the computer could run for ages just find and then all of a sudden one day develop this issue of stuttering & lagging sound.

PLEASE HELP!
November 24, 2007 2:25:30 AM

Okay.

A lil persistece seems to have paid off. I have installed the latest and greatest MOBO Firmware which forced me to go rite through all the BIOS options and something there seems to have fixed things. I got Blue screens for a while but all good now. My Graphics Cad seems to be running much better in AutoDesk applications too! Much happier!!!!
December 11, 2007 1:07:55 AM

Hello,
I have a problem. I read all of your posts, but i think my problem is different. My computer works great for about two days and then re-starts. It is driving me crazy. I did gave me a error with ccc.exe wich is the ati software, removed and changed the video to nvidia thinking it was a bad video card, but two days later the computer re-started. this is the hardware.
GA-P35-DS3R (rev. 2.0)
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E6750 @ 2.66GHz
NVIDIA GeForce 6200 TurboCache previously a Ati PCIe card with 256mb.
Realtek RTL8168/8111 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet NIC
DVR capture device (ARGUS-V) capture card for surveillance cameras.
onboard audio.
windows xp pro.
Western Digital Caviar RE WD3200YS 320GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb
Raid 5 with 5 of these drives WD using the onboard Raid.
Crucial Ballistix 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)
As i said it works great until it re-starts. Don't know why.
I will appreciate any input on this.
thank you.
a c 117 V Motherboard
December 11, 2007 1:30:26 AM

First off you have to see if your restart is related to a windows BSOD

Right click on my computer then click Properties
Click the Advanced tab
Under Startup and Recovery click on Settings
Make sure there is NO check on Automatically Restart.

Now if you get a BSOD copy the info and post it here so we can attempt to assist....

Also did you do any tweaks to that system?
You may also want to try without the ARGUS-V to see if it still happens, Some capture devices are hell with drivers. So check for newer drivers and if you have then already try to take the card out to see if its better....

Keep us posted....
December 13, 2007 3:50:06 AM

Hello,
I tried that and is not the automatic restart. Found something funny today. I removed the Argus-V card yesterday to see if that was the problem, but it seems like not. This afternoon the computer was on. i went to see how it was doing and the mouse was not responding, used the keyboard PS2 and it was working fine. Unplugged the usb mouse and plugged back in and still nothing. Went to check on the settings on windows, but there weren't any menus. The windows start bar was there as well as the menu bar, but as soon as i went into the accessories or games or controll panel or any application it was empty. I went to check on the USB mouse and notice that there wasn't power going to the mouse. The light on the infrared usb mouse will only go on when i pressed on the mouse button but it was very weak. I should mention that all the peripherals were down too, eg network card, but still it didn't give any errors. Is this definetely a motherboard issue or could it be a PSU issue.
This has me puzzled. it is the 40 hours marker, that is how long it takes for the computer to start malfuntioning.
Anybody has any sugestions.
Thanks,

Ed.
a c 117 V Motherboard
December 13, 2007 3:13:44 PM

Alright, hmmmmm where do i start.....

What psu are you running?

Time to start the trouble shooting
Your ram as far as i can tell is this
http://www.crucial.com/store/partspecs.aspx?IMODULE=BL2...
It needs 2.2 volts to operate correctly @ 800 4,4,4,12
If you did not go into the bios and set this you may have problems.(if you did not, tell me and i will give you a walk through for it....)

Grab cpu-z and check under the Memory tab to see what your ram is running at(mem speeds look like half of what the marketing numbers show....so 333=667, 400 = 800 ect).....Also get the timings.
http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php

In rare cases a computers memory allocation gets changed. This can cause problems(this is a far shot since ATI drivers do not even work with memory allocation changed....)
Right click My Computer => Properties
Click the Advanced tab
under Performance click settings
under Performance Options select Advanced
Make sure memory usage is set to Programs and NOT System Cache

Even if your ram is set right it never hurts to test it....
grab the Ultimate Boot CD(Since it makes more sense to have a bunch if tools vs just one on a CD)
Burn the image with nero(Recorder => Burn Image) or what ever burning software you prefer. Restart the PC with the disc in and press F8 on post to get the boot menu. Tell the board to boot from the CD. when IOSlinux loads it will say Boot:( or similar), just hit enter. Under mainboard tools select memtest86(or plus, i just use normal memtest86)
http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/download.html

If everything looks good and its still messing up, you may also want to try different ram, Sounds odd, but a friend had ram passing memtest86 and all other stress(Prime95) tests but the computer would restart at random(but it was BSOD related) and games would go all corrupt as well. Turned out to be ram, even tho i have similar ram(Crucial Rendition is just rebranded so its hit and miss, i doubt your rams a prob, but of you have other stuff its worth a check...)

I know it seems like allot, but it sure beats sending back the board and the new one doing the same thing....
December 17, 2007 7:15:34 PM

I just need to thank the topic starter, gts24, for his advise NOT to use the ICH9R Raid function..

I've had problems with my raid 1 config on the intel controller for ages! Sound stutters, slow responsiveness of the desktop, corrupt raid after restart. etc etc ect..

I changed the raid array to the Gsata controller (purple one), set the intel raid in bios to disabled and the gsata to raid, installed windows again and was amazed!!! I never thought my system could run that smoooth! And sound stutters were completely gone.

So, if you experience problems and are using the intel controller in raid mode, switch to the gsata comtroller. You will experience a much more responsive system. Personally, I think the intel controller really sucks big time!!

Again, many thanks for the topic starter for his advice!

December 19, 2007 7:15:10 PM

I wanted to contribute my findings to this thread.

I have the audio stuttering with the GA-P35-DS3R also. I have a Rev 2 board. I am using the ICH9R raid, but it is not the source of the problem for me.

I have tracked my problem down to the onboard Realtek NIC. I have not solved the issue yet though. I suspect I have bad drivers so I will be updating them now.
a c 117 V Motherboard
December 19, 2007 9:08:32 PM

Maybe try a pci nic?

I have no issues what so ever with stuttering and raid on the ICH9r(Raid0), but i have a Audigy 2zs. so i my guess is an issue with the onboard sound....
December 20, 2007 6:04:41 AM

I have tried a PCI NIC and a PCI sound card, as well as ICH9 RAID disabled. The problem is not just an audio stutter, but an entire system stutter. It seems to happen at least every 10 minutes and lasts only a fraction of a second. I'm going to check for a BIOS update now.
a c 117 V Motherboard
December 20, 2007 4:09:26 PM

Hmmmmm thats odd...

My Asus K8V SE did that, I had to back off(go back to an older one) the bios to get it to stop(it was via raid related)....That bios also had other problems....

Last thing, have you looked in the even viewer? sometimes thing show in there. I had a bad sata cable(P5W DH) case random pauses, the even viewer showed me it was a drive disconnecting and reconnecting....New cable and it was gone....
December 26, 2007 5:08:31 PM

It turns out it was some kind of software issue. I booted off an old copy of XP and discovered I had no stuttering, and the proceeded to reinstall XP on my new hard drive. I suspect it was my attempts to load AHCI drivers AFTER Win XP was installed (because I did not have a floppy drive during install) So that's my lesson for the day - just put the floppy drive in or slipstream, and if you didn't, re-install XP!
December 30, 2007 9:46:20 AM

damn, I thought I had tackeled the problem of sound stuttering by switching from the ICH9R to the Gsata Raid. This workt at first, but yesterday I found out that I still have sound stutters..

This only happens when the computer power is unplugged for a long time. Yesterday I returned ftom holiday and after connecting the power cable and booting, I experienced heavy audio stutters and ckacks.. These stutters dissapeared after about 10 minutes of time. Whenever I reboot, the audio is fine, so there are only stutters when the computer is cold booted after a power down of a long time (1 day or so, maybe a few hours, don't know yet)..

Can anyone give me an explenation for this phenomenon?
a b V Motherboard
January 13, 2008 1:10:34 AM

hmm here's something those having trouble can try. I found this to work with a biostar board.

Forget gigabyte's website. their drivers aren't up to date with real drivers. Intel made the chipset so they control ICH9. Realtek made the audio and so they write their own drivers. If anyone has the time... Try this:

1. go to another pc that is NOT vista. XP is fine 2k should be too (never tested that theory though). next, download the 32bit floppy config utility. http://downloadcenter.intel.com/filter_results.aspx?str...*&lang=eng&strOSs=163&submit=Go%21 and run executable to create driver floppy from a NON vista computer (the link above is for vista 32bit only) The verison as of this post is 7.8.0.1012.

2. set the gigabyte board to AHCI and format, when asked to specify drivers, load the AHCI drivers for ICH9 from the floppy just created.

3. set up windows like usual, when setup complete, install chipset drivers strait from Intel http://downloadcenter.intel.com/filter_results.aspx?str...*+32&lang=eng&strOSs=164&submit=Go%21 the current version as of this posting is 8.3.1.1009. The zip and executable formats are hte same, i prefer the self extracting executable.

4. go back to http://downloadcenter.intel.com/filter_results.aspx?str...*&lang=eng&strOSs=163&submit=Go%21 and get intel's raid utility. install that. the latest version as of this post is 7.8.0.1012.

5. download this: http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downloadsView.aspx?... Remember to get the Vista version (zip or executable, executable preferred for me). install. The latest version as of this post is R1.84

edit: 6. download and install the appropriate driver for realtek NIC from realtek's website, i don't remember which chip is on the p35 boards off hand so i don't have a link.

7. install other drivers as necessary and see if the problem persists..

From my experience, vista sometimes doesnt write things to floppies properly (it seems to read them fine though), when i made my bios disk on xp and my f6 drivers, my vista setup went very smoothly, before then, it kept on giving me checksum errors.

February 3, 2008 2:18:44 AM

Had the same problem with HD Audio stuttering with RAID on Gigabyte MB, ICH9R chipset. Turns out I just needed to COMPLETELY unplug my SATA hard drives that were not in use. I had just unplugged the power cables, but not the data cables when I was setting up my RAID drives. Didn't figure this would be an issue, but after I completely unplugged all cables to the dormant drives and did a clean install of XP with RAID turned on in BIOS and drivers installed all was OK. Can't tell you how much time I spent trying to figure this one out, with updated drivers, BIOS updates, re-installs, etc.. Geez
a b V Motherboard
February 3, 2008 3:00:49 AM

gts24 said:

From what I've read, ACHI is nothing more than to just have the hot swap feature on your SATA drives.
What that mean is new SATA hard drives supports hot swap. Hot swap is a feature where you can unplug your drives while the machine is still on. With ACHI disabled you can damage your drive if you unplug it while the system is still running.

February 5, 2008 4:19:52 PM

I've had a lot of talking with Gigabyte Netherlands about the stuttering PCI sound cards (I even pointed them to this thread) and they made a new bios version for the P35-DS3R v2.0.

I'm now unable to test this bios since i'll be back home in 5 days, but perhaps others woulf like to try. Maybe they even adressed the DPC bug..

Here it is:

http://forum.giga-byte.nl/upload/files/P35DS3R-12n.zip
a c 117 V Motherboard
February 5, 2008 7:52:33 PM

I have been on raid with this board since day one without so much as a skip.....i DID have all drives unplugged during install(This i aways do anyway...)

Maybe someone should try that....
March 4, 2008 4:37:13 PM

I finally found my solution for the stuttering system performance with raid installed.. It aren't the raid drivers after all.. The f*cking nvidia forceware drivers are causing the system stutter in combination with the raid option..

Just install your system without installing the forceware drivers. For me, all was perfectly fine!! After installing the forceware, I get system stutter. This can start after 5 minutes, or can start after a few hours. It's very hard to pinpoint the nvidia drivers as a cause therefore.

I have installed multiple nvidia drivers, all bad. I had to go back to version 158.19 (found on the msi site for my MSI 8500GT) and all is great.

The nvidia drivers are deffinately causing the system stutter.. Please try uninstalling the drivers (optionally use drivercleaner) and post your results here..
March 17, 2008 7:16:50 PM

I have similar issues with 3 different P35 based boards.

Abit IP35 Pro, ASUS P5K-E WiFi, and DFI P35 LT.

If you run msinfo32 and take a look at Conflicts/Sharing, you'll usually see USB, the JMicron device, whatever you might have in the PCIe 4x slot, and the primary graphics card all sharing.

The PCIe 16x slot is on it's own bus to the MCH (P35 Chip) and shouldn't be an issue, but the others are all on the ICH9R.

If I disable the USB, issues go away.
And no, I didn't have anything plugged into USB at the time (using PS/2 Keyboard+Mouse for testing).

Either the bandwidth to the ICH9R <-> P35 MCH is stuffed, ICH9R isn't handling it due to other unforeseen circumstances (Intel Driver? Voltage Config? Heat?, etc), or we are still in the old days of IRQ sharing issues with the drivers.

If it's the last one, then which driver to blame.
a c 117 V Motherboard
March 17, 2008 7:28:05 PM

this is mine, still no problems, but not running onboard sound or AHCI mode

March 25, 2008 1:30:22 AM

lexluthermiester,
I had a rev 1.0 DS3R, and it had startup problems. The PS would turn on and off every few seconds for as long as 10 minutes or even more, if it was cold in here. If I took a hair dryer and blew a little hot air into the case vent, it would fire right up I RMA'd it and received a Rev 2.0 in it's place and I've had no problems at all since. Personally the problems you are having are in the ICH9 or ICH9R, which ever you have. I know that Intel didn't ship the chipsets for the P35s for a while but never said what was wrong. I personally think that with all the work the chip actually does, that it's being overloaded. Hey, you only get just so much bandwidth to work with. I think Intel badly misjudged how much the Southbridge was going to be taxed in the real world, and that's why you get the skipping in the sound. I don't know if there's a way to measure it, but I'm pretty sure that's the problem. Switching on either the ACHI the sound and it works fine, yet won't work right if you turn them on at the same time, to me indicates an overload of some sort. It could be as simple as a driver conflict or something like that.

Best Regards,
theone
March 30, 2008 7:03:32 PM

This motherboard is immature, nothing but problem after problem.
Firstly with the RAID.. you can forget using the Intel raid on this board. You will have to use the gigabyte chip for RAID and further more you may have to slipstream the drivers if you want to make it through an XP install.

Next audio.. not only does the onboard audio stutter, pop and hiss at you but having installed my old Live card (which worked flawlessly on my old pc) I found that it was even worse. There are no conflicts. I just get the feeling this board does not cleanly regulate the voltage.
Oh well that is a lesson to me, you get what you pay for.
Cheap crap in this case..
a c 117 V Motherboard
March 31, 2008 1:05:44 AM

In gigabytes defense.

I have not had any of those problems mentioned in the thread.
i AM using Intel raid and a PCI sound card.

My friend with the DS3L has not clicky pop or anything with the onboard sound
April 24, 2008 12:24:43 AM

Hello all.

I have a GA-EP35-DS3R motherboard and I'm having the stuttering issues too.

I'm pretty much 100% sure I have found out why we are being plagued by these stutter problems. I was trying to find the exact source of the problem (which is how I found this website) and left the PC Wizard 2008 application open. For those who know this program, when you minimize it there is a nice cpu speed showing in green at the top right corner of the screen.

I realized my 3GHz cpu was only running at 2Ghz and that the stutter problem occurred very precisely when the Dynamic Energy Saver was "shifting gears" !!!!

I can easily correlate the stutter to the gear shifting.

Now I'm trying to find out how I could disable this. If I find the solution I'll post it here to contribute to all of your efforts fixing this annoying problem.

Please not the shifting occurs even though I did not install the DES. After installing the DES there's no way I can really turn it off : it still shifts gears by itself.
April 24, 2008 12:25:55 AM

By the way the DS3L does not have the new Dynamic Energy Saver feature, which explains how nukemaster's friend has no problem with that board.
April 24, 2008 2:14:00 AM

RESULTS UPDATE:

Following bios feature has direct impact :
CPU EIST Function "Enhanced Intel Speedstep Technology" Basically it throttles the CPU to save power.

This setting alone only solved my problem partially : no stutter at startup. Now I had disk-access stutter as described earlier by other ppl.

I found what I think is the cause for this.

When you enable AHCI or RAID on the intel chipset, you MUST disable Gigabyte's SATA extension in the bios (disabling two ports on your mobo :(  )

I've been running for some time (20 minutes lol) without the previous stutter symptoms I had.

I had noticed that the gigabyte sata used the same IRQ as the intel sata controller. This leads me to think it will only work if both are IDE (controller are more basic so easily fooled into using the same IRQ).

I think using Intel in IDE mode and Gigabyte in RAID mode would also work.

Basically all I have demonstrated here is :

SpeedStep is crap (may be CPU model related)
Gigabyte Sata (whatever mode) conflicts with Intel Controller in Raid or AHCI mode.

Hope this helps others with similar issues.
a c 117 V Motherboard
April 24, 2008 3:48:42 AM

Look at my screen above if you want to see sharing without problems. Modern Hardware should be fine.

I use speedstep without issues(clocks 2.0 idle 3.0 load). All my systems have this turned on.

I do not have anything on the Gsata ports, but they are turned on.

The search continues.
April 29, 2008 4:44:24 PM

Nukemaster, thanks for your reply... I have a question concerning your setup : do you have RAID or AHCI enabled on the ICH9R controller?

a c 117 V Motherboard
April 29, 2008 6:06:36 PM

Raid
!