Sign in with
Your question

SATA drive not recognized by BIOS or XP

Last response: in Storage
November 7, 2007 12:57:42 AM

Hi:

I run XP Professional on an ASUS A8N-SLI Premium Motherboard with an AMD 4800 dual core processor. I'm running my operating system off of a WD Raptor SATA hard drive.

I recently installed an OEM Western Digital 500GB SATA hard drive. The drive is spinning (I can hear it) but not recognized in the BIOS or in Windows ("My Computer" or "Disk Management" in "Administrative Tools". The BIOS is set to automatically detect new SATA hard drives.

When I try to "Install New Hardware" through Windows, I get the "found new hardware" bubble but then the system reboots, still not recognizing the hard drive.

I've updated the BIOS but still had no success with the drive. Any recommendations about what to try next?

Thanks very much.

November 7, 2007 9:13:42 PM

Did you format the drive? Try running the diagnotic/repair software from WD. Have a WD for a while but they may even have an install program. Probably best to do it from a floppy
November 7, 2007 11:19:32 PM

Thanks for replying. I can't get anything to recognize the drive so that I can format it. I've tried WD's "Data Lifeguard Tools," which is the installation software that comes with the retail drive, and it won't recognize the drive.

Since I first posted, I tried to "Scan for hardware changes" under "Computer Management," as Microsoft recommends. As with the "Add Hardware" wizard, the XP forcibly rebooted and still didn't recognize the drive. It seems that XP is finding the drive when asked to look, something bad happens, and the system reboots.
Related resources
November 8, 2007 9:55:53 AM

Double check your BIOS and make sure all the hdd settings are set up to recognize the SATA drive, which may include how the ATA drive is recognized. Don't remember if it was on that board or what I did, was quite a while ago, but I had to change both the SATA and ATA settings. Make sure the jumpers are set correctly. On a SATA drive you sometimes have to set the jumpers to get a 1.5 SATA drive recognized when connected to a 3.0 SATA connector or vice versa. Try a different data cable as well as a different connector. If none of this works, RMA the drive, possible it's bad.
November 8, 2007 10:07:58 AM

Thanks. In regard to the jumpers and the transfer rate, my motherboard will allow 3GB transfers from SATA drives. My new drive (the one that doesn't work) is a 3.0 SATA drive. But, the SATA drive from which I run XP is a 1.5 SATA drive. Does that make any difference?
November 8, 2007 10:11:04 AM

It shouldn't given the jumpers are set for each drive. That being said, check your BIOS for your SATA settings, possible there is something in there depending on the different transfer rates. The new drive should have a default setting for 3.0 but I'd make sure.
December 13, 2007 12:41:44 AM

I too am having trouble with my SATA drive not being recognized by the BIOS. I noticed that I have to plug and unplug the cable on the motherboard and can get the drive to work. My cable seems a little loose in the connector and I still have some troubles.
December 13, 2007 9:41:54 AM

rjseigel said:
I too am having trouble with my SATA drive not being recognized by the BIOS. I noticed that I have to plug and unplug the cable on the motherboard and can get the drive to work. My cable seems a little loose in the connector and I still have some troubles.

Have you tried different cable or connector? Also, try running the repair/diagnostic software from the hdd mfg websire
a b G Storage
December 13, 2007 10:11:05 AM

Try a different port. Also make sure the power connection is secure. There should be only one power connection to the drive. The drive can burn out if there are two power connectors.
!