Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

RE4: Less Scary than Ever Before!

Tags:
  • Games
  • Video Games
Last response: in Video Games
Share
Anonymous
May 14, 2004 7:24:13 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.resident-evil (More info?)

About a year ago, our man Shinji sent a tape to the E3 video game trade
show in which proclaimed the following:

"Resident Evil 4' will be scarier than ever before. Don't pee your
pants!"

Capcom has since scrapped the version of RE4 he was reffering to. It
seems that bladder control is no longer an issue. If you take a look at
the recent interview with Shinji, he implies that RE4 will be *LESS*
scary than previous game.


Look at what Shinji Mikami says about RE4 now:

"... in terms of the scare factor, it's supposed to be more toned down.
Up until now, we were making the games very heavily drenched in horror
elements."

"The idea (was) that first comes the horror elements, and then the game
itself follows after. Although the concept isn't so easily kept
separate. This time around, we reversed the priority level of the
concept."

"This time, Biohazard 4 is a more action-oriented game. I told the
development staff to think of the maps as racing circuits."

In the interview he drops the "scariest Resident Evil" claim. How do
you guys feel about this?


-B O N G O

More about : re4 scary

Anonymous
May 14, 2004 7:24:14 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.resident-evil (More info?)

On Fri, 14 May 2004 03:24:13 GMT, Bongo
<octavalvehandle@earthlink.net> wrote:

>
>About a year ago, our man Shinji sent a tape to the E3 video game trade
>show in which proclaimed the following:
>
>"Resident Evil 4' will be scarier than ever before. Don't pee your
>pants!"
>
>Capcom has since scrapped the version of RE4 he was reffering to. It
>seems that bladder control is no longer an issue. If you take a look at
>the recent interview with Shinji, he implies that RE4 will be *LESS*
>scary than previous game.
>
>
>Look at what Shinji Mikami says about RE4 now:
>
>"... in terms of the scare factor, it's supposed to be more toned down.
>Up until now, we were making the games very heavily drenched in horror
>elements."
>
>"The idea (was) that first comes the horror elements, and then the game
>itself follows after. Although the concept isn't so easily kept
>separate. This time around, we reversed the priority level of the
>concept."
>
>"This time, Biohazard 4 is a more action-oriented game. I told the
>development staff to think of the maps as racing circuits."
>
>In the interview he drops the "scariest Resident Evil" claim. How do
>you guys feel about this?
>
>
>-B O N G O


Sounds like a sequel to RE Survivor. No plot, dumb story, endless
shooting. The game was good because of the horror and story. Anyone
can have stick figures shoot stuff. Why not have a RE game called
"fish in a barrel" if all it's gonna be is action?
Anonymous
May 15, 2004 11:07:35 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.resident-evil (More info?)

MuscleMan wrote:

>
> Sounds like a sequel to RE Survivor. No plot, dumb story, endless
> shooting.

After RE2, it seems like they kept cramming more action into each game to
please gamers in general. That's kind of a cheap move. I was expecting RE4
to return to the more sophisticated approach. A lot of RE fans fell in love
with the games because you weren't constantly frantically tapping buttons.

Now we learn that the opposite is true. Mikami is comparing it to a RACING
GAME!


--B O N G O
Related resources
Anonymous
May 15, 2004 11:17:42 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.resident-evil (More info?)

Nekofrog wrote:

> It'll be next to impossible to make a Resident Evil game as
> action-orientated as the shitfest Nemesis;





From what I've read, RE4 seems like its going to have 10 times the action
that RE3 had. To non-RE fans that might sound like a good thing. To the
rest of us its cause to worry.

But maybe not all is lost. (See my next post)

--B O N G O
Anonymous
May 15, 2004 7:04:05 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.resident-evil (More info?)

<Snip>
>
> In the interview he drops the "scariest Resident Evil" claim. How do
> you guys feel about this?
>

I feel like the only thing about this game that even ties it to "Resident
Evil" is the inclusion of Leon. It just seems like what's the point? You're
changing the style, the gameplay, the feel, the atmosphere, ignoring the old
storyline....what's the point? Just rename the main character and stop
calling this game RE4. Such a highly anticipated sequel is turning into a
completely different game, and I for one am not terribly thrilled.
Anonymous
May 16, 2004 5:55:06 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.resident-evil (More info?)

In message <2gn7u3F4rhi0U1@uni-berlin.de>
"PR Mega" <prmega@gamebox.net> wrote:

> I feel like the only thing about this game that even ties it to "Resident
> Evil" is the inclusion of Leon. It just seems like what's the point? You're
> changing the style, the gameplay, the feel, the atmosphere, ignoring the old
> storyline....what's the point? Just rename the main character and stop
> calling this game RE4. Such a highly anticipated sequel is turning into a
> completely different game, and I for one am not terribly thrilled.

Devil May Cry 3 anyone? Capcom are still notorious for this sort of
thing, the end product is going to be quite a surprise....

Cheers,
Rob
Anonymous
May 17, 2004 12:02:42 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.resident-evil (More info?)

"PR Mega" <prmega@gamebox.net> wrote in message
news:2gn7u3F4rhi0U1@uni-berlin.de...
> <Snip>
> >
> > In the interview he drops the "scariest Resident Evil" claim. How do
> > you guys feel about this?
> >
>
> I feel like the only thing about this game that even ties it to "Resident
> Evil" is the inclusion of Leon. It just seems like what's the point?
You're
> changing the style, the gameplay, the feel, the atmosphere, ignoring the
old
> storyline....what's the point? Just rename the main character and stop
> calling this game RE4. Such a highly anticipated sequel is turning into a
> completely different game, and I for one am not terribly thrilled.
>
>

What you talking about? The video I saw on IGN was of the villagers that can
communicate and stuff (that was something/may/2004)... That can easily be a
better virus that still retains some intelligence, kinda like the caveman
brain or something... Maybe they are zombies who have been trained...
Either way it looks OK, still not "scary"... But RE2 wasn't 'scary', and I
think that is what this newer game is more likely to be like (or at least
hope).

CW..
Anonymous
May 18, 2004 10:39:26 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.resident-evil (More info?)

Rob White wrote:

> Capcom are still notorious for this sort of
> thing, the end product is going to be quite a surprise....
>
>

A couple of years from now, it will be interesting to look back a RE's history
with GameCube. It could be that, after all this talk about the RE series "moving
to GameCube", Capcom ended up sticking Nintendo with a bunch of Gaidens.


Is it mentioned in any interview WHY Capcom dumped the previous version of RE4?
(Saving it for PS2 or PS3 maybe?)


--B O N G O
Anonymous
May 18, 2004 2:27:05 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.resident-evil (More info?)

On Tue, 18 May 2004, Bongo wrote:

> A couple of years from now, it will be interesting to look back a RE's history
> with GameCube. It could be that, after all this talk about the RE series "moving
> to GameCube", Capcom ended up sticking Nintendo with a bunch of Gaidens.
>
>
> Is it mentioned in any interview WHY Capcom dumped the previous version of RE4?
> (Saving it for PS2 or PS3 maybe?)

The initial RE 4, of course, became Devil May Cry. The first RE 4 we
saw in trailers belonged to an RE4 that Mikami & co. didn't feel was
good enough -- much like "RE 1.5". Both RE 0 and RE 4 are *real* RE
games, not spin-offs or "gaidens". They're more core than CODE:
Veronica; as much so as RE 1 or RE 2.

--
Best,
Imad Hussain
magius@purdue.edu
Anonymous
May 18, 2004 2:30:01 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.resident-evil (More info?)

what about the tomb raider games? they don't have horror per se.

~Freeza Frost
Anonymous
May 18, 2004 7:05:17 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.resident-evil (More info?)

On Tue, 18 May 2004 06:39:26 GMT, Bongo
<octavalvehandle@earthlink.net> wrote:

>
>
>Rob White wrote:
>
>> Capcom are still notorious for this sort of
>> thing, the end product is going to be quite a surprise....
>>
>>
>
>A couple of years from now, it will be interesting to look back a RE's history
>with GameCube. It could be that, after all this talk about the RE series "moving
>to GameCube", Capcom ended up sticking Nintendo with a bunch of Gaidens.
>
>
>Is it mentioned in any interview WHY Capcom dumped the previous version of RE4?
>(Saving it for PS2 or PS3 maybe?)
>
>

With how much time and money that went into the development of RE4
before it was scrapped, I seriously doubt they would move it to an
inferior system (PS2), as it would cost even more to downgrade their
product. The PS3 isn't even on the horizon, so that's most likely out.

>--B O N G O
>
>
>
Anonymous
May 25, 2004 8:14:18 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.resident-evil (More info?)

On Sat, 15 May 2004 07:17:42 GMT, Bongo <octavalvehandle@earthlink.net>
said:


>
>From what I've read, RE4 seems like its going to have 10 times the action
>that RE3 had. To non-RE fans that might sound like a good thing. To the
>rest of us its cause to worry.
>
>But maybe not all is lost. (See my next post)
>
>--B O N G O
>

That seems to be the case with most games more action = better game.
With some genres maybe that's true but IMHO thats not the case in survival
horror (Dino Crisis anyone?).
They're saying RE4'll have more action, hopefully this is refering to more
actions Leon can do (i.e. the kicking ladders, going through windows etc)
and not suggesting a turkey shoot.
I'd have to say the E3 footage looked action packed in a good way.
RE4 looks like the most innovative game in the series yet. The gameplay
hasn't come far since the original RE to RE0. Sure the have been one off
novelities such as dodging, defense weapons and character switching but
it's the same old RE we all know and love (even if some of us are beginning
to tire of it).
If Capcom get it right RE4 is gonna be one helluva game and be the new
benchmark of the series.

----

Be a man.....

Be a KLUGMAN!!!!
Anonymous
May 25, 2004 2:14:27 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.resident-evil (More info?)

"Bongo" <octavalvehandle@earthlink.net> wrote in message
news:40B2DF38.202D9B21@earthlink.net...
> > They probably didn't like the direction it was going (ie, just
> > nothing to do with any virus' or whatever so I read)
>
> The fist GameCube version of RE4 did have a virus, "The Progenitor Virus".
> (According to its trailer.)

Yes, but the second one - you are supporting (dolls etc...) is more eerie
and ghost-like... Nothing virus-y about it.

>
> > ... nothing seems to have changed much from what I've read...
> > Still the daughter, still the townspeople,
>
> That was a change. I think you are comparing the different trailers for
> RE4.v3. Those are the ones with the president daughter, villagers, monks,
etc.

I'v only seen the daughter, and a couple of townspeople with Leon shooting a
couple of times and slamming the door... No monks for me... That sounds
weird huh!?
Just one trailer though.

> The older GC version was the one with the swarm-thing, eerie dolls and
glowing
> blue guy. Mikami says that is all gone. It seems to me they would have
salvaged
> at least some of it. They are obviously using the same character model for
> Leon. Also the laser site on the gun can be seen in the old trailer.
> Considering that Capcom whipped this game up in such a short period of
time,
> they might have borrowed other stuff from the older one too.
>
> --B O N G O
>
>

Then how late were you!?
There was no news about RE4, then suddenly a few months back I read about
townspeople, daughter, and virus... Then a bit after that it's about a
forest-y/south africa thing... Then roumers about them being both parts of
the same game - not new games (ie, start off in south africa then move to
the zombie town and daughter)... Then I come in here and you're saying they
ditched it AGAIN...
I never heard anything about ANY dolls apart from in here and from you... :
S

=========
Comp Whizz
=========
!