768MB into 2 slots - which goes where?

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

I'm upgrading my system memory from 512 to 768 MB on a MS-6382
motherboard with only 2 memory slots (ie one will have 256 & the other
512 MB).

If slot 0 is the lower end of the address range should I put the 256
MB module here? I'm thinking that if I put the 512 MB chip here then
most of the time it'll be the only one 'working'.

On the other hand, I don't know much so any advice would be welcome!

--

John Latter

Model of an Internal Evolutionary Mechanism (based on an extension to homeostasis) linking Stationary-Phase Mutations to the Baldwin Effect.
http://members.aol.com/jorolat/TEM.html

'Where Darwin meets Lamarck?' Discussion Egroup

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Hi

Have you had a look in the manual for your motherboard to see what that
suggests?

--

Will Denny
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

"John Latter" <jorolat@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message
> I'm upgrading my system memory from 512 to 768 MB on a MS-6382
> motherboard with only 2 memory slots (ie one will have 256 & the other
> 512 MB).
>
> If slot 0 is the lower end of the address range should I put the 256
> MB module here? I'm thinking that if I put the 512 MB chip here then
> most of the time it'll be the only one 'working'.
>
> On the other hand, I don't know much so any advice would be welcome!
>
> --
>
> John Latter
>
> Model of an Internal Evolutionary Mechanism (based on an extension to
> homeostasis) linking Stationary-Phase Mutations to the Baldwin Effect.
> http://members.aol.com/jorolat/TEM.html
>
> 'Where Darwin meets Lamarck?' Discussion Egroup
> http://groups.yahoo.com/group/evomech

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Two slots and two sticks does not offer endless possibilities.. have you
tried them yet?..

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/User

it all to themselves." - Lane Kirkland

On Sun, 3 Jul 2005 21:36:05 +0100, "Will Denny" <willdenny@mvps.org>
wrote:

>Hi
>
>Have you had a look in the manual for your motherboard to see what that
>suggests?

Er, the manual's at hand somewhere...

I remember it saying 2 slots = 2GB max.

Is there a problem with 256 in one & 768 in the other?

--

John Latter

Model of an Internal Evolutionary Mechanism (based on an extension to homeostasis) linking Stationary-Phase Mutations to the Baldwin Effect.
http://members.aol.com/jorolat/TEM.html

'Where Darwin meets Lamarck?' Discussion Egroup

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

On Sun, 3 Jul 2005 16:42:00 -0400, "Mike Hall \(MS-MVP\)"
<mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> wrote:

>Two slots and two sticks does not offer endless possibilities.. have you
>tried them yet?..

No I haven't tried them yet, I thought I would ask before buying in
case there was some reason I couldn't put 256 in one slot & 512 in the
other.

Unfortunately I don't know the answer to my own question... :)

--

John Latter wrote:
> On Sun, 3 Jul 2005 16:42:00 -0400, "Mike Hall \(MS-MVP\)"
> <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> wrote:
>

>>Two slots and two sticks does not offer endless possibilities.. have you
>>tried them yet?..
>

> No I haven't tried them yet, I thought I would ask before buying in
> case there was some reason I couldn't put 256 in one slot & 512 in the
> other.
>
> Unfortunately I don't know the answer to my own question... :)

It is absolutely essential that any new RAM module(s) be fully
compatible with both the motherboard and/or any other RAM module(s)
already in the system. Additionally, there are sometimes jumper
switches on older motherboards that need to be reset for new RAM
configurations. Consult your motherboard's manual or the
manufacturer's web site for specific instructions and compatibility
requirements.

If you cannot lay your hands upon the computer's manual and the
manufacturer doesn't provide a support web site, you can use these
utilities to help determine the correct type of RAM needed:

SiSoft's Sandra
http://www.sisoftware.co.uk/index.php?dir=&location=sware_dl&lang=en

Belarc Advisor

Unlimited Possibilities' AIDA32
http://forum.aumha.org/overflow/aida32.zip

Also, Crucial Memory's web site (www.crucial.com) has a database
to help to find the right RAM for your specific make and model
computer and/or motherboard.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH

> On Sun, 3 Jul 2005 21:36:05 +0100, "Will Denny" <willdenny@mvps.org>
> wrote:
>
>>Hi
>>
>>Have you had a look in the manual for your motherboard to see what that
>>suggests?
>
> Er, the manual's at hand somewhere...
>
> I remember it saying 2 slots = 2GB max.
>
> Is there a problem with 256 in one & 768 in the other?
>
> --
>
> John Latter

Your motherboard manual will tell you. Some boards require matched pairs of
memory but if you previously only had one memory module it won't apply to
your system. You only have 2 possibilities- just put the new memory into the
free slot and try it. It sounds like it should be fine so long as it is
matched speeds to that required- again your manual will tell you. And
probobably tell you how to put the memory in. If you don't have the manual
download a copy from the makers website.

On Sun, 3 Jul 2005 22:05:32 +0100, "Alan Smith" <alan@hidden.email>
wrote:

>"John Latter" <jorolat@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message
>> On Sun, 3 Jul 2005 21:36:05 +0100, "Will Denny" <willdenny@mvps.org>
>> wrote:
>>
>>>Hi
>>>
>>>Have you had a look in the manual for your motherboard to see what that
>>>suggests?
>>
>> Er, the manual's at hand somewhere...
>>
>> I remember it saying 2 slots = 2GB max.
>>
>> Is there a problem with 256 in one & 768 in the other?
>>
>> --
>>
>> John Latter
>>

>Your motherboard manual will tell you. Some boards require matched pairs of
>memory but if you previously only had one memory module it won't apply to
>your system. You only have 2 possibilities- just put the new memory into the
>free slot and try it. It sounds like it should be fine so long as it is
>matched speeds to that required- again your manual will tell you. And
>probobably tell you how to put the memory in. If you don't have the manual
>download a copy from the makers website.

Hi Alan,

The manual says the mobo can take up to 2GB and "at least one DDR
module must be installed".

It doesn't specifically state (other than by inference in the above)
whether different memory sizes ca be installed in the 2 slots.

In stead it gives a table saying

slot 1(bank 0 & bank 1): 32,64,128,256,512 Total = 32 - 512 MB
slot 2(bank 2 & bank 3): 32,64,128,256,512 Total = 32 - 512 MB
Total system memory = 32MB - 2GB

I think it'll be ok - just thought more experienced people would be
able to say yes or no as a matter of course.

--

John Latter

Model of an Internal Evolutionary Mechanism (based on an extension to homeostasis) linking Stationary-Phase Mutations to the Baldwin Effect.
http://members.aol.com/jorolat/TEM.html

'Where Darwin meets Lamarck?' Discussion Egroup

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

John,
1. By the info about the motherboard you provided. It appears that you have
2 Slots with 2 Banks each.

2. It appears that you will need to buy and install the memory sticks in
pairs. If you open your PC, you will probably have 2 sticks of 256MB of RAM
to give you a total of 512MB of RAM.

3. You should go to www.crucial.com , and use their guide by PC manufacture,
to see how many sticks that you need to install at a time.

4. The memory brand may not need to be the same, as what is installed:
a. When buying "paired" sticks, make sure that they are the same type
and the same size.
b. Also that they meet or exceed the recommended type for your
motherboard.
c. Make sure you buy from someone who has a good warranty or return
policy, if the sticks don't work for your PC, or fail.

--

Click on Link to Add MS to your News Reader: news://msnews.microsoft.com
Rich/rerat

(RRR News) <message rule>

wrote:

> [...]

>>the
>>free slot and try it. It sounds like it should be fine so long as it is
>>matched speeds to that required- again your manual will tell you. And
>>probobably tell you how to put the memory in. If you don't have the manual
>>download a copy from the makers website.
>>
> Hi Alan,
>
> The manual says the mobo can take up to 2GB and "at least one DDR
> module must be installed".
>
> It doesn't specifically state (other than by inference in the above)
> whether different memory sizes ca be installed in the 2 slots.
>
> In stead it gives a table saying
>
> slot 1(bank 0 & bank 1): 32,64,128,256,512 Total = 32 - 512 MB
> slot 2(bank 2 & bank 3): 32,64,128,256,512 Total = 32 - 512 MB
> Total system memory = 32MB - 2GB
>
> I think it'll be ok - just thought more experienced people would be
> able to say yes or no as a matter of course.

It sounds that as long as it is the right memory type and speed it should
work

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

On Sun, 03 Jul 2005 18:27:20 -0600, Bruce Chambers
<bchambers@cable0ne.n3t> wrote:

>John Latter wrote:
>> On Sun, 3 Jul 2005 16:42:00 -0400, "Mike Hall \(MS-MVP\)"
>> <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> wrote:
>>

>>>Two slots and two sticks does not offer endless possibilities.. have you
>>>tried them yet?..
>>

>> No I haven't tried them yet, I thought I would ask before buying in
>> case there was some reason I couldn't put 256 in one slot & 512 in the
>> other.
>>
>> Unfortunately I don't know the answer to my own question... :)
>>

> It is absolutely essential that any new RAM module(s) be fully
>compatible with both the motherboard and/or any other RAM module(s)
>already in the system. Additionally, there are sometimes jumper
>switches on older motherboards that need to be reset for new RAM
>configurations. Consult your motherboard's manual or the
>manufacturer's web site for specific instructions and compatibility
>requirements.
>
> If you cannot lay your hands upon the computer's manual and the
>manufacturer doesn't provide a support web site, you can use these
>utilities to help determine the correct type of RAM needed:
>
>SiSoft's Sandra
>http://www.sisoftware.co.uk/index.php?dir=&location=sware_dl&lang=en
>
>Belarc Advisor
>http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html
>
>Unlimited Possibilities' AIDA32
>http://forum.aumha.org/overflow/aida32.zip
>
> Also, Crucial Memory's web site (www.crucial.com) has a database
>to help to find the right RAM for your specific make and model
>computer and/or motherboard.

Thanks Bruce, I have made sure the specs are the same - crucial memory
doesn't list Time UK computers (or didn't last time I looked), all I
want to know is if I can put 256 M in one slot & 512 MB the other.

--

On Sun, 3 Jul 2005 23:33:53 +0100, "Alan Smith" <alan@hidden.email>
wrote:

>"John Latter" <jorolat@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message
>> On Sun, 3 Jul 2005 22:05:32 +0100, "Alan Smith" <alan@hidden.email>
>> wrote:
>>

>>>"John Latter" <jorolat@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message

>>>Your motherboard manual will tell you. Some boards require matched pairs
>>>of
>>>memory but if you previously only had one memory module it won't apply to
>>>your system. You only have 2 possibilities- just put the new memory into
>>>the
>>>free slot and try it. It sounds like it should be fine so long as it is
>>>matched speeds to that required- again your manual will tell you. And
>>>probobably tell you how to put the memory in. If you don't have the manual
>>>download a copy from the makers website.
>>>
>> Hi Alan,
>>
>> The manual says the mobo can take up to 2GB and "at least one DDR
>> module must be installed".
>>
>> It doesn't specifically state (other than by inference in the above)
>> whether different memory sizes ca be installed in the 2 slots.
>>
>> In stead it gives a table saying
>>
>> slot 1(bank 0 & bank 1): 32,64,128,256,512 Total = 32 - 512 MB
>> slot 2(bank 2 & bank 3): 32,64,128,256,512 Total = 32 - 512 MB
>> Total system memory = 32MB - 2GB
>>
>> I think it'll be ok - just thought more experienced people would be
>> able to say yes or no as a matter of course.
>>
>> --
>>
>> John Latter
>>

>It sounds that as long as it is the right memory type and speed it should
>work

I hope so! On the other hand I can always buy another 512 MB chip &
have 2 of 'em!

--

On Sun, 3 Jul 2005 19:15:58 -0400, "RRR_News" <rrr_news@isp.com>
wrote:

>John,
>1. By the info about the motherboard you provided. It appears that you have
>2 Slots with 2 Banks each.
>
>2. It appears that you will need to buy and install the memory sticks in
>pairs. If you open your PC, you will probably have 2 sticks of 256MB of RAM
>to give you a total of 512MB of RAM.
>
>3. You should go to www.crucial.com , and use their guide by PC manufacture,
>to see how many sticks that you need to install at a time.
>
>4. The memory brand may not need to be the same, as what is installed:
> a. When buying "paired" sticks, make sure that they are the same type
>and the same size.
> b. Also that they meet or exceed the recommended type for your
>motherboard.
> c. Make sure you buy from someone who has a good warranty or return
>policy, if the sticks don't work for your PC, or fail.

I do have 2 slots with 2 banks each. I was surprised to find crucial
now list Time Computers (UK) but they don't list my model :(

I've just found this:

"Example 1. Assume the system is type 1 and has a 32 MB DIMM in the
first slot. This system allows expansion to 256 MB. If you want full
expansion, you'll need to remove the 32 MB DIMM and install two 128 MB
DIMMs. If you want to keep the 32 MB DIMM, you could add a 128 MB DIMM
for a total of 160 MB of memory (32 + 128), which is suitable for
running Windows 98. Keep in mind that some motherboards don't allow
modules larger than 128 MB or 256 MB in a slot. Also, move the smaller
DIMM to the second slot and put the larger DIMM in the first slot.
Doing so is not essential, but may improve access speed."
http://www.informit.com/articles/article.asp?p=30069&seqNum=6&rl=1

It may not be my manufacturer but at least it indicates that sizes can
sometimes be mixed. I note it recommends the larger module going in
the 1st slot whereas I want to put it in the 2nd slot so that not all
the 'work' is done in one chip - if I do get the 512 MB chip I'll
probably post on how I can measure the access speed to see if there is
any difference!

Jorolat

>Click on Link to Add MS to your News Reader: news://msnews.microsoft.com
>Rich/rerat
>
>(RRR News) <message rule>
><<Previous Text Snipped to Save Bandwidth When Appropriate>>
>

>"John Latter" <jorolat@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message
>On Sun, 3 Jul 2005 22:05:32 +0100, "Alan Smith" <alan@hidden.email>
>wrote:
>

>>"John Latter" <jorolat@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message

>>> Er, the manual's at hand somewhere...
>>>
>>> I remember it saying 2 slots = 2GB max.
>>>
>>> Is there a problem with 256 in one & 768 in the other?
>>>
>>> --
>>>
>>> John Latter
>>>

>>Your motherboard manual will tell you. Some boards require matched pairs of
>>memory but if you previously only had one memory module it won't apply to
>>your system. You only have 2 possibilities- just put the new memory into
>>the
>>free slot and try it. It sounds like it should be fine so long as it is
>>matched speeds to that required- again your manual will tell you. And
>>probobably tell you how to put the memory in. If you don't have the manual
>>download a copy from the makers website.
>>
>Hi Alan,
>
>The manual says the mobo can take up to 2GB and "at least one DDR
>module must be installed".
>
>It doesn't specifically state (other than by inference in the above)
>whether different memory sizes ca be installed in the 2 slots.
>
>In stead it gives a table saying
>
>slot 1(bank 0 & bank 1): 32,64,128,256,512 Total = 32 - 512 MB
>slot 2(bank 2 & bank 3): 32,64,128,256,512 Total = 32 - 512 MB
>Total system memory = 32MB - 2GB
>
>I think it'll be ok - just thought more experienced people would be
>able to say yes or no as a matter of course.

--

John Latter

Model of an Internal Evolutionary Mechanism (based on an extension to homeostasis) linking Stationary-Phase Mutations to the Baldwin Effect.
http://members.aol.com/jorolat/TEM.html

'Where Darwin meets Lamarck?' Discussion Egroup

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

John

On a system with four physical slots, there was, and still is a requirement
that memory be installed in matched pairs.. in a three slot system, memory
size can be mixed, but they may have to be moved around to get best
performance.. two slot systems allow for different memory sizes.. again
there may be a requirement to place larger before smaller or vice versa..

It is very much board dependant, and as we all run different boards, it is
difficult to say what should happen without reference to the manual..

The main consideration is that memory is of the same type.. ie. SDRAM pc133
or DDR 2100/2700 etc..

You could always contact Time Computers for verification..

--

> [...]
>>
>>The manual says the mobo can take up to 2GB and "at least one DDR
>>module must be installed".
>>
>>It doesn't specifically state (other than by inference in the above)
>>whether different memory sizes ca be installed in the 2 slots.
>>
>>In stead it gives a table saying
>>
>>slot 1(bank 0 & bank 1): 32,64,128,256,512 Total = 32 - 512 MB
>>slot 2(bank 2 & bank 3): 32,64,128,256,512 Total = 32 - 512 MB
>>Total system memory = 32MB - 2GB
>>
>>I think it'll be ok - just thought more experienced people would be
>>able to say yes or no as a matter of course.
>
> --
>
> John Latter
>
> Model of an Internal Evolutionary Mechanism (based on an extension to
> homeostasis) linking Stationary-Phase Mutations to the Baldwin Effect.
> http://members.aol.com/jorolat/TEM.html
>
> 'Where Darwin meets Lamarck?' Discussion Egroup

chelsea

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2005
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Hi John,
I think your pretty safe putting your memory in whichever order you want.
Time motherboards just take plain old generic memory and as the banks are
not electricaly isolated ie they remain switched on all the time-there is
not likely to be any visible performance gain doing it either way. As stated
its essential to get the correct type of memory, but again you can be pretty
sure Time will not have fitted expensive error checking memory, so all you
need to do is ensure the speed of the new memory remains the same-look on
your existing memory stick it will have a value such as CL2 or CL2.5 screen
printed on the modules-its a good idea to match the new memory to this
value. On the other hand with memory now so cheap why not buy 2x500MB. In
theory getting perfectly matched memory is the ideal but its not 100%
necessary.

Chelsea

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

On Mon, 4 Jul 2005 05:52:41 -0400, "Mike Hall \(MS-MVP\)"
<mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> wrote:

>John
>
>On a system with four physical slots, there was, and still is a requirement
>that memory be installed in matched pairs.. in a three slot system, memory
>size can be mixed, but they may have to be moved around to get best
>performance.. two slot systems allow for different memory sizes.. again
>there may be a requirement to place larger before smaller or vice versa..
>
>It is very much board dependant, and as we all run different boards, it is
>difficult to say what should happen without reference to the manual..
>
>The main consideration is that memory is of the same type.. ie. SDRAM pc133
>or DDR 2100/2700 etc..
>
>You could always contact Time Computers for verification..

Thanks Mike, I've ordered the memory now (all the specs match at
least) but if I do have any problems I'll order another 512 MB.

--

On Mon, 4 Jul 2005 16:54:56 +0100, "Chelsea" <gallium1@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>Hi John,
>I think your pretty safe putting your memory in whichever order you want.
>Time motherboards just take plain old generic memory and as the banks are
>not electricaly isolated ie they remain switched on all the time-there is
>not likely to be any visible performance gain doing it either way. As stated
>its essential to get the correct type of memory, but again you can be pretty
>sure Time will not have fitted expensive error checking memory, so all you
>need to do is ensure the speed of the new memory remains the same-look on
>your existing memory stick it will have a value such as CL2 or CL2.5 screen
>printed on the modules-its a good idea to match the new memory to this
>value. On the other hand with memory now so cheap why not buy 2x500MB. In
>theory getting perfectly matched memory is the ideal but its not 100%
>necessary.
>
>Chelsea

Hi Chelsea,

The specs match and even the manufacturer is the same (Samsung) & if I
do have any problems I'll try and get another 512 MB from the same
source.

--

John Latter

Model of an Internal Evolutionary Mechanism (based on an extension to homeostasis) linking Stationary-Phase Mutations to the Baldwin Effect.
http://members.aol.com/jorolat/TEM.html

'Where Darwin meets Lamarck?' Discussion Egroup

damo

Distinguished
May 29, 2004
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

I have been told to always put the biggest (non-faulty!) RAM you have in the
first slot because the system will fill up the first before using the second
and so on. I think it also improves performance but that remains to be seen
Damo

On Mon, 4 Jul 2005 20:53:55 +1000, "Damo" <random@fake.com> wrote:

>I have been told to always put the biggest (non-faulty!) RAM you have in the
>first slot because the system will fill up the first before using the second
>and so on. I think it also improves performance but that remains to be seen
>Damo

Thanks Damo, I thought that putting the smaller chip in the first slot
would distribute the 'workload' more evenly & help with heat
dissipation but no-one has commented on this.

I may try the 512 Mb chip in both positions - only drawback is access
to slot 0 is hindered by the AGP card & I dread touching more than I
need to!

Jorolat