Sign in with
Your question

Enough power for 8600gt/2600xt?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 21, 2007 2:03:19 PM

So I just bought my wife a Dell. I know, I know, Dell's suck yada yada yada. Well. I've got my computer and she had one for her stuff (itunes, casual games, pics, etc.) Well, I decided it was time for her to get something dual-core. I ordered a Dell cuz that's nice and easy. Problem now is, I think from time to time I might want to use it for some light gaming and want to upgrade the gpu. It's got an 8300gs (I believe this is an OEM part that is not publicly available). Of course it's junk. I am thinking about trying one of the mentioned cards but am worried about power. I went to extreme power calculator and it came up OK. However, I don't know about the amps. The computer has an X2 5000+, 2gb ram, 1 optical drive, 1 SATA hdd, a few USB plugins and the gpu. The psu is 300W with 18A on the 12V. Will it stand up to the replacement of the card with one of the other 2? Thanks for any advice.

More about : power 8600gt 2600xt

a c 130 U Graphics card
August 21, 2007 6:59:05 PM

Dont know about the 8600 but it will should run a 2600xt ok as they dont require additional power taking it all straight from the slot.It may be the same for the 8600 i dont know but i do know that of the two the 2600xt is the better gaming card which as you are a casual gamer may sound unnesecary but when i say better i mean not as bad :) .
Here is a good link about the whole of the two ranges have a read and get back with any questions.
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/HD-2600-AND-GEFORCE-8600,...
Mactronix
August 21, 2007 7:36:05 PM

I know that both of those cards pull their power from the slot. I believe the 2600 uses around 45W. But what I am more worried about is the amps. I have not been able to find anything on either card about amps on the 12v rail. As the power supply in the Dell is only 18A, I think I have much to fear if a card needs a bigger draw. Also, I am not really a casual gamer. I have a much better build of my own that handles current games. My wife's computer though is on the main floor of our house and sometimes after I am done online I want to fire something up gamewise without having to fire mine up for just a short time. So I would like the best card that would run under that PSU. Which I am hoping to be one fo the two I mentioned. Of course they probably won't run Oblivion or others like that, but if I can get a card to run a few older titles that would be great. So I can just quick fire something up. Thanks for the reply though.
Related resources
a c 130 U Graphics card
August 21, 2007 7:57:18 PM

Dont worry about the amps it wont be a problem a pci slot supplies about 70/75watts so you will easy run a 2600xt the whole point is that no extra power conecter means no worries about it running its designed to run in that slot they are all standard.
You say you have a better build that you game on,well i dont know how well you know the x1000 series and 7 series cards but for comparisom the Hd 2600xt used to run about level with a x1650xt which is the same give or take as a 7600gt.
Yesterday i was told that the newest drivers improved it a bit and i would expect (personally)that the next ones will improve it a bit more.I have no proof of this its just my opinion.
Dont know if that makes any sence to you but it will play Oblivion quite well at about medium+setttings i would say my old agp system has a x1650 in it and that plays it at about that level
August 21, 2007 9:55:54 PM

I actually have an x1600xt lying around that I think about throwing in the wife's computer, but I wouldn't mind something new to go with the new computer. My other rig; e6600@2.925, 2gb ram, 8800gts 320, 74gb raptor, 750w thermaltake, and couple other goodies. Probably should've ponied up the dough for a 640 gts though. Game @ 1600x1200 and it bogs sometimes, not often though.
a c 130 U Graphics card
August 21, 2007 10:56:51 PM

well given you have the card lying about it seems to come down to what you want to do with it most.
How badly will it bug you to know that the old card is in the new system?
Would you make much use of the HD decoding abilities if you put the 2600 in it?
Im guessing the 1600xt would run the aero(im assuming you have vista)?but it wont run any dx10 while limited the HD will.
So its over to you now to make a decision
Put the old card in or buy a new one if you do the xt is the better all round card
Mactronix
August 22, 2007 6:43:12 AM

jjknoll said:
So I just bought my wife a Dell. I know, I know, Dell's suck yada yada yada. Well. I've got my computer and she had one for her stuff (itunes, casual games, pics, etc.) Well, I decided it was time for her to get something dual-core. I ordered a Dell cuz that's nice and easy. Problem now is, I think from time to time I might want to use it for some light gaming and want to upgrade the gpu. It's got an 8300gs (I believe this is an OEM part that is not publicly available). Of course it's junk. I am thinking about trying one of the mentioned cards but am worried about power. I went to extreme power calculator and it came up OK. However, I don't know about the amps. The computer has an X2 5000+, 2gb ram, 1 optical drive, 1 SATA hdd, a few USB plugins and the gpu. The psu is 300W with 18A on the 12V. Will it stand up to the replacement of the card with one of the other 2? Thanks for any advice.

You must have gotten an Inspiron (300w psu). I have a Dimension E521 that the Inspiron replaced. My psu is 305w.
You shoud have 2 12v rails, probably 18a + 18a. That's what mine is and it's 22amps. I run a 8600GT on mine. I have a X2 5000+, 3GB ram, 2 optical drives, 1 SATA hdd, floppy drive, and a X-fi sound card. No issues at all with power consumption. The limits on the gpu would be 8600GTS or 7900GS or GT.
August 23, 2007 8:42:20 PM

Yeah I got the 521. However, I got it with the 8300gs and the power supply is only 300w with no pci-e power connectors. I do want to get a 2600xt, but after looking around they say a 400w psu is recommended. Since the 2600 does not have a power connector (thus drawing up to a max of 75w through the slot) why would this need a larger psu than say the 8600gt that also has no power connector and says it requires only a 300w psu. I would really like to go with 2600xt (especially since we are back up on hours at work). A little light from people in the know on the difference in power requirements on 2 cards that must draw very similar power would be great! Thanks again for all the help past and future.
a c 130 U Graphics card
August 23, 2007 8:56:44 PM

Honestly it wouldnt matter if you had a 800 watt supply the slot isnt going to get any more power if the card dosent need extra power ie has no lead or place to plug one in which the 2600 dosent it will run.
Some times companies like to cover themselves a bit thats all.
Mactronix
August 23, 2007 10:15:15 PM

Thanks for the help Mac. Another question though. I know that a larger psu won't supply any more power to the slot, but if I had a 200W psu or say, a lot more peripherals on my 300W; do you suppose that the slot could become underpowered? Or maybe that the draw there would not allow other components to run/run correctly?
a c 130 U Graphics card
August 24, 2007 5:32:43 AM

What you are suggesting is possable in theory but you would need lots of extra stuff ie three hard drives three optical drives flopy drive couple extra usb connections but a psu will be supplied with x amount of cables to get to the scenario you are suggesting you would need to add cables or splitters yourself the psu is split in to different rails and different things come from different rails it depends on the psu and your pc as to which goes where.
Mactronix
!