Sign in with
Your question

Retail CPU question

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
August 11, 2007 5:48:43 AM

i recently purchased a Q6600 with an EVGA 680i sli A1. I plan on using artic silver 5 and was wondering if on a new retail cpu, do you have to remove a thermal pad or paste or does it come totally plain so you can just apply the thermal grease right away. Need to know if i need to by the remover stuff. Sorry for probably stupid question, this is my first build.

thanks

More about : retail cpu question

August 11, 2007 5:50:43 AM

The heatsink bundled with the processor will have some cheap thermal grease on it, which you can remove with rubbing alcohol and some cotton swabs. After that, you can apply AS5 to it instead.
August 11, 2007 5:56:43 AM

Im not planning on using the stock fan/heatsink and have ordered a Zalman CNPS 9700. Sorry for the confusion, didn't explain that very well. What i meant is that the CPU itself won't have anything already on it right? but the heatsink will be the Zalman
Related resources
August 11, 2007 5:59:24 AM

No, the CPU itself will be completely clean.
August 11, 2007 6:01:30 AM

So then i don't have anything to remove, only add, correct? Also are you supposed to apply the thermal grease to the heatsink base and the cpu or just the cpu? i have heard conflicting answers as most say just the cpu, but some instructions for certain coolers say to put it on both? What do you think?
August 11, 2007 6:10:58 AM

The heatsink might also have that nasty pink thermal tape, it's okay, but you'll be better off ditching it.
a b à CPUs
August 11, 2007 6:18:48 AM

If my memory serves me correct the Zalmans come clean (no tape or pad) with a small tube of compound included in the box which the OP won't need to use if they already have the Arctic 5.
August 11, 2007 6:24:54 AM

mousemonkey, you are correct, Zalman sends clean heatsinks. My choice of method for AS5 is to put the necessary amount on the CPU itself and then let the heatsink naturally spread it out as you put it on and initially use it.
August 11, 2007 8:54:28 AM

newbuilder3 said:
i recently purchased a Q6600 with an EVGA 680i sli A1. I plan on using artic silver 5 and was wondering if on a new retail cpu, do you have to remove a thermal pad or paste or does it come totally plain so you can just apply the thermal grease right away. Need to know if i need to by the remover stuff. Sorry for probably stupid question, this is my first build.

thanks

Newbuilder,

As others have noted, the cpu won't come with any compound or pad.

This is about the coverage you’ll get if you follow the instructions at arcticsilver.com for the quad core. The red line depicts a thin bead of Arctic Silver 5. It would have spread slightly more with another half turn of each screw.

Note: If you pull it off like I did to take that picture you’ll need to clean it up and reapply. ArctiClean Thermal Material Remover and Thermal Surface Purifier work great for cleaning and prepping.

That mess you see on the right is just from me removing the heatsink.

You may want to read this if you haven't already:

http://www.arcticsilver.com/pdf/appinstruct/as5/ins_as5... cap.pdf
August 13, 2007 3:03:46 AM

Thank you all. that was very helpful
!