Hackrez

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2007
Hey, my current hard drive is getting prety damn full (4gb left argh!) I want to get a new one and have a found a 500gb SATA for prety cheap, was wondering since my current hard drive is IDE is it safe to link it up to the SATA and use the SATA as a slave drive? And I want to keep my my OS and all my crap on the drive I have now, so would this work out?

4745454b

Titan
It would work out fine, as long as you have SATA ports. Just plug in the power cable and the SATA data cable and you are done. The only jumper found on SATA drives will be the one that forces the drive from SATA II mode to SATA I. There isn't much difference between the two from the end user standpoint, so I'm not even sure I'd bother looking to see how its jumpered. Unless of course you have SATA ports and not SATA II (or SATA2, or SATA 300, etc).

The SATA disks connect to the motherboard via dedicated SATA cables. The whole master-slave thing is for IDE only, and hopefully will die soon. What sort of motherboard do you have?

Edit:like 4745454b said, you'll be fine, as long as your motherboard has SATA ports. If it's not too ancient it should have them.