Sign in with
Your question
Closed

GeForce go 7900 gs suddenly stopped working

Last response: in Windows Vista
November 25, 2010 1:26:13 AM

Hi all, sorry for the long post but here goes:

I was surfing the web when my computer suddenly BSOD, and i didn't quite catch the reason. On restart, it hung up like the black screen of death, and finally BSOD'd again for nvlddmkm.sys

I noticed that i could boot into safe mode no problem everytime, but if i didn't press f8, i would end up at the black screen of death that either turns into a BSOD or just sits there.

I did a bunch of research and found that somehow i had nvidia driver issues. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the latest compatible driver found on the nvidia website and also the gateway laptop video driver that came w/ the laptop. Both resulted in BSOD.

Currently, out of ideas, i just uninstalled the drivers and can boot in normally w/ my display adapter listed as "video controller VGA compatible" instead of my "7900 gs".

Also, i should note that, while booting, there are either red or blue marks everywhere on the screen, in an array like pattern. Also, sometimes vertical yellow streaks. This goes away as i boot in, and just turns into small blue horizontal lines (.5cm long ea) along the desktop bg (in the black color'ed areas).

Anyone have any ideas? Thanks!
Blargh88

p.s. is there any disadvantage to just sticking with the VGA? I have a desktop computer now w/ more than enough gpu for all my needs, so my laptop is really just for surfing/videos.
November 25, 2010 4:41:24 PM

nvlddmkm.sys is more of a video card issue and with the weird blue and red marks everywhere on the screen I think your GPU is failing.
Score

Best solution

a b \ Driver
November 27, 2010 7:58:40 PM

i agree w/ venjhammet
sounds like your card is dying. This will happen. Especially since your card is kinda old (model came out in Feb. of 06).

blargh88 said:

p.s. is there any disadvantage to just sticking with the VGA? I have a desktop computer now w/ more than enough gpu for all my needs, so my laptop is really just for surfing/videos.

I'm assuming by VGA, you mean IGP (integrated graphics) that use the VGA port. If your just browsing online, checking email, ect. that should be fine. I doubt you could play HD videos or anything but everything else should be fine.
Related resources
November 27, 2010 10:07:19 PM

you can give it one last try with nVidia and clean sweep all drivers then reboot and let a fresh install of drivers.
if that woks then you're lucky but it's a try.
Score
a b \ Driver
January 31, 2012 8:50:28 PM

Best answer selected by mousemonkey.
Score
a b \ Driver
January 31, 2012 8:50:30 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!