trying scsi for the first time

G

Howdy,

I am going to give scsi a try as I picked up a few parts from a buddy getting rid of his older stuff.

I received 4 scsi drives. they are 147 GB 10k RPM U320

I have a EVGA 680i Mobo http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813188013

I know I need a scsi card and was able to pick up an adaptec card from my same buddy for real cheap.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816103089

Will this set up work without problems?

I may or may not set these up in a raid, I am not sure. I presently have an 80gig sata2 as my main drive so I am not sure which way I will go yet.

Any suggestions or comments?

double_helix

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2007
The Adaptec card has a PCI interface, then more than likely you'll be fine. Just install the drivers, plug in the SCSI card on an available PCI slot, set the ID# and should be good to go...

Don't forget to terminate.

G

Thank you for the reply. I am all set with the drivers and the termination at the last spot now thanks. My last question comes from the available pci slot. From what I understand a pci slot is 32 bit. According to the labels on the card and box it says the scsi card is 64 bit. I went to the Adaptec web site a few minutes ago and it lists the card as...

1-channel, 64-bit (32-bit compatible)

There are a lot more teeth on the bottom of the card than there are holes available in the pci slot on the mobo. However, with the cut out notches on the card it looks like the card will fit into the pci slot leaving a few teeth outside the slot.

I opened a few PDFs on Adaptec's site and found this...

Although the Adaptec SCSI Card 29160 is a 64-bit PCI card, it also
works in a 32-bit PCI slot. When installed in a 32-bit PCI slot, the
card automatically runs in the slower 32-bit mode.

I am sorry if these questions sound stupid but I am very unfamiliar with scsi but want to learn about it without destroying my PC in the process.

Thank you in advance

double_helix

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2007
The questions are not stupid, but I cannot say for certain. From what I've seen is that a 64-bit card should work in a 32-bit PCI slot but the bandwidth would be limited. Hope someone here can confrim that...

I'm almost positive that it'll work but, like the PDFs noted, you won't get the full potential out of the card.

mike99

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
Unless you use a server motherboard, you will not get the full benefit of that card. You could get an AHA2940 on Ebay very cheap, which is a 32bit PCI card and will work as fast as that one you have. The card you have states that it is 32bit compatable, it will fit in your motherboard OK, but will run as a 32bit card.

Mike.

Joe_The_Dragon

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2006

there are desktop nforce boards with pci-x slots. You may be able to find a pci-e to pci-x card out there. There are also pci-e scsi cards.