Best 250GB/320GB HD for the money?

p3matty

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
Looking to upgrade from my 120GB IDE HD to a 250 or 320 (seem to be popular sizes) SATA2 HD. I've heard great things about Western Digital and Seagate drives in this segment. Anyone any better or any worse than any others? Anything coming "down the pipe" that will be out before end of the year that might be better I should wait on?

Also, was thinking of just getting 2 decent 160 GB drives and RAID 0'ing them together for even better performance. From what I can tell, this would be about $20 more or so than just buying 1 320 drive, and will theoretically beat the one drive solution hands down, and my board is a P5K-e/WIFI so is totally RAID capable. And before you say it, I will have a backup solution in place for my files....

mimart7

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2007
I am running a RAID 0 using 2 320 GB Seagate SATA drives, good performance. Nothing bad to say about WD or Seagate, have used both with no problems (insert foot in mouth) . I'd go for the extra storage. Storage prices are coming down, as far as anything new coming out this year, nothing radical that i have heard about. Of course there are the new 32 & 64 GB flash hard drives, but too small.

cosmicc

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2007
I have a WD 250gb, I don't run RAID or anything, but as for WD, good company, good performance, no problems. I definetly want to get more storage sometime soon though.