Cable HDTV just superb

Last response: in Home Theatre
Share
March 26, 2005 8:29:35 PM

Hi all,

I don't see Time-Warner and other Cable companies promoting their INHD 1&2
channels much. Those channels include IMAX movies converted into HD. And
they are just awesome. You cannot get them on Satellite. Discovery HD is
very good, but there's nothing like those IMAX movies. Right now I get all
the networks on HD, Discovery HD, Public TV HD, Showtime HD, HDNet and HDNet
Movies, and of course INHD 1&2. All this plus 2 TVs in other rooms with
expanded cable, all for $65 a month including monthly DVR fees.

When Time-Warner came out with HD, I got one of their first receivers for a
few weeks, got so severely disappointed, I returned it and went to Satellite
(Dish) for a year. They only had HBO HD; Discovery HD was not available
then. Picture quality of Standard-Def was pitiful. But now with the 8000
series receivers, I'm back to T-W. And so glad I did, just to have INHD.
Though, the model 8000HD was a disaster; the first one crashed in one day,
and the second one crashed in 3 weeks. So now I have the 8300HD and it seems
to be doing just fine. I hear it has a fan to cool the hard drive which the
8000 does not. It has a 160 GB hard drive, and can record up to 20 hours of
HD or 4 times as much SD, or a combination. Its ability to pause live TV is
truly a delight, for bathroom and phone call breaks! Or record a show, and
fast forward past the commercials at 2X or 3X speed!

Those of you who have a nice new HD TV: do yourself a big favor. Look into
Time-Warner's new 8300HD DVR and life will never be the same again as far as
TV is concerned. Only thing is this: I've got about 10 hours of great HD
shows recorded, but have no way to make a permanent recording as HD DVD
recorders have not been released yet, and recording to VCR will create just
a pitifully poor archive. So right now I will just keep them there until
either the hard drive crashes or they come up with a backup hard drive! The
8300 is in short supply right now, and I only got one because my 8000
crashed. But the crash rate of that model is so high I would not be
surprised if they are all recalled/returned. Still, without the upfront
$1000 that DirecTV wants for its HD DVR, there is no risk.

Roger

More about : cable hdtv superb

March 27, 2005 11:09:05 AM

"Roger" <nospam@world.com> wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> I don't see Time-Warner and other Cable companies promoting their INHD 1&2
> channels much. Those channels include IMAX movies converted into HD. And
> they are just awesome. You cannot get them on Satellite. Discovery HD is
> very good, but there's nothing like those IMAX movies. Right now I get all
> the networks on HD, Discovery HD, Public TV HD, Showtime HD, HDNet and
> HDNet Movies, and of course INHD 1&2. All this plus 2 TVs in other rooms
> with expanded cable, all for $65 a month including monthly DVR fees.
>
> When Time-Warner came out with HD, I got one of their first receivers for
> a few weeks, got so severely disappointed, I returned it and went to
> Satellite (Dish) for a year. They only had HBO HD; Discovery HD was not
> available then. Picture quality of Standard-Def was pitiful. But now with
> the 8000 series receivers, I'm back to T-W. And so glad I did, just to
> have INHD. Though, the model 8000HD was a disaster; the first one crashed
> in one day, and the second one crashed in 3 weeks. So now I have the
> 8300HD and it seems to be doing just fine. I hear it has a fan to cool the
> hard drive which the 8000 does not. It has a 160 GB hard drive, and can
> record up to 20 hours of HD or 4 times as much SD, or a combination. Its
> ability to pause live TV is truly a delight, for bathroom and phone call
> breaks! Or record a show, and fast forward past the commercials at 2X or
> 3X speed!
>
> Those of you who have a nice new HD TV: do yourself a big favor. Look into
> Time-Warner's new 8300HD DVR and life will never be the same again as far
> as TV is concerned. Only thing is this: I've got about 10 hours of great
> HD shows recorded, but have no way to make a permanent recording as HD DVD
> recorders have not been released yet, and recording to VCR will create
> just a pitifully poor archive. So right now I will just keep them there
> until either the hard drive crashes or they come up with a backup hard
> drive! The 8300 is in short supply right now, and I only got one because
> my 8000 crashed. But the crash rate of that model is so high I would not
> be surprised if they are all recalled/returned. Still, without the upfront
> $1000 that DirecTV wants for its HD DVR, there is no risk.
>
> Roger

Yes, cable HDTV is a good thing.
Our Comcast HD picture looks cleaner than Directv HD.

Some users say you can connect an extra harddrive to the cable box using the
firewire port [if it has one]. Others use the port to record the movies to
an external PC. It can be VERY complicated though.