Sign in with
Your question

Help! Windows won't install on new system, "boot disk failure"

Last response: in Systems
August 11, 2007 3:26:23 AM

Hey everyone,
Well I just finished building a new PC today, the specs are as follows.

Gigabyte P-35 DS3R motherboard
Intel Q6600
8800gts 320mb
WD 320gb internal hdd sata 3gb/s
2gb ram

My problem is when I attempt to start the computer and install Windows XP, I insert the disk, change the boot order to boot from the cd/dvd, and when it attempts to boot, I receive the message "Boot disk failure, insert system disk and press enter". I'm baffled on what to do, no matter which disk drive I put it in, what order the bios boot menu is, I get the same error. I would greatly appreciate any help anyone can give me! Thank you!
August 11, 2007 4:15:40 AM

Does the CD/DVD spin up and attempt to read, and then the hard drive light comes on? If that it the case XP can't be read and the HD gets checked and fails with boot disk failure. If so, I would suspect the CD/DVD drive or bad XP CD.
August 11, 2007 5:01:40 AM

Yes the CD/DVD drives spin up. The drives were just taken out of my previous computer for this new one. Both drives are also recognized by the bios along with the HDD. The XP cd is a burned cd but I have booted from it before on other computers and even threw it into the one I'm replying from and the XP autorun menu came right up. I have been trying to find a real xp cd around the house but I can't locate it. I've tinkered with everything imaginable in the bios, changing the sata plug the hdd is plugged into, took out the battery to reset the cmos.

This is frustrating, I was so exciting about using the quad core and I can't even get into windows :( 

Any more info would be greatly appreciated
Related resources
August 11, 2007 5:20:42 AM

Try downloading the UBCD http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/download.html and burning the iso to a CD. See if you can boot to that in your current computer to be sure it is good and then boot into it with the new computer. That will either rule out the XP disk or the drive.
August 11, 2007 5:52:42 AM

Try starting the machine with the CD in it if you have not, I have had a few flaky cd's that needed to be in the drive when it initialized to be read.
August 11, 2007 5:52:53 AM

Is the CD/DVD a PATA or SATA drive? It's probably PATA if so get a SATA drive they're cheap, hell you can get a DVD burner for under $40.00. If it's SATA find a PATA lying around and try it. Also, remove any additional drives you might have plugged in.
August 11, 2007 6:16:55 AM

That's dumb avice, the interface should not be the problem unless the MB is defective.
August 11, 2007 7:29:40 AM

I would suggest purchasing a new XP system disk.
August 11, 2007 3:22:39 PM

royalcrown said:
That's dumb avice, the interface should not be the problem unless the MB is defective.
I'm not going to get into a battle with you over this. He said the drive was working and he said the XP CD was also good. Many people have had problems exactly like his with the P965 etc. It has to do with the Jmicron controller. I'm not sure how that board is laid out, and neither are you, because I haven't looked closely yet. But it is certainly reasonable to consider the possibility that he is having interface problems, due to the above stated conditions.

Edit: I just found a thread on the main page discussing the SATA/PATA problem as it relates to the Jmicron controller.

P5K and Intel P35 JMicro woes...
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/244123-30-intel-jmicr...

Before you go spouting off about peoples advice being dumb, you might want to be sure you are correct. Otherwise you look like a complete idiot. :pt1cable:  :pfff: 
August 11, 2007 3:32:32 PM

royalcrown said:

Well I got it working. I found an XP professional disk around the house, threw it in and it booted right up and installed fine! Amazing how that other disk worked fine in one computer and another won't even read it. Well, thanks for all the help guys, I'm sure ill have more problems coming up lol first time builder here. Thanks again
August 11, 2007 4:41:30 PM

Abrahm said:
Well I got it working. I found an XP professional disk around the house, threw it in and it booted right up and installed fine! Amazing how that other disk worked fine in one computer and another won't even read it. Well, thanks for all the help guys, I'm sure ill have more problems coming up lol first time builder here. Thanks again
Good. That's why I suggested early on to make a UBCD disk and try it to rule out the Drive or XP CD. You should still make a UBCD disk, because there are a lot of useful utilities on it and you will need it sooner or later.
August 11, 2007 6:53:43 PM

Something else to consider is that you never mentioned if the cd/dvd drive was a burner drive or not. I may have missed that if you did. I have had cd/dvd player drives not be able to boot from a CD-r/cd-rw where the autorun feature still worked. But good to know you got it working. :) 
!