mustangman311

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2006
Based on leaked Black Friday adds, I know that Circuit City will be selling this drive (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148235) for $80, instead of $135.

Seeing as a regular 500GB internal is $110 on Newegg, how plausible and possible would it be to buy this, and remove it from the casing for use as an internal drive? Is the drive going to be IDE compatible? Anyone seen a tutorial for this, or know anything that could help?

FSXFan

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2007
It doesn't say if the drive itself is an IDE or SATA, could be either one. The drive is the same as any other internal HDD. I have opened up a seagate (different model) and just installed in another enclosure for a lady I know (the interface board died). It also worked fine connected directly to a pc (it was IDE). Anyway, sounds like a good deal as long as you have an available port of each kind since you don't know what kind it is.

ps. The Seagate I tore apart was literally torn apart. It's not made to come apart unless you have their stupid triangular screwdriver. I would guess this one is built the same way, and if so it will not be returnable if you remove the drive.

runswindows95

Distinguished
Why don't you just wait and see if someone has an internal HDD on sale? Seems pointless to buy an external HDD only to rip it apart and use it as an internal considering if it doesn't work, you void all return policies and warranties as well.

FSXFan

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2007

Yes. Either IDE or SATA.

FSXFan

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2007
What do you mean by "safe"? If you mean safe from physical harm, an enclosure is surely safer than just carrying around a bare drive. If you mean safe as in your data, well I guess it's just as safe as the user (are you prone to losing things or having them stolen).

FSXFan

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2007
Typically the only the way the drive is going to crash and lose all the data is when it has a high shock load placed on it, especially during operation. Many external enclosures have some type of shock dampening, but you still should not throw it across the room and try not to drop it. Prolonged exposure to high heat will kill a drive also.

The one I had to replace was bought at a discount store (supposedly it was damaged hurricane Katrina stock) and had water spots on the board inside. It worked fine for a while and then it just quit one day. I put the drive in a new enclosure and it's still working as far as I know.

I have a few externals here at home I've never had any trouble with.

I

Distinguished
May 23, 2004

This is not correct, consider it happens to internal drives with no high shock (handling) event. If you mean crash in a more specific way as "head crash" then it becomes more true to say that one way to make the head crash is from shock.

I

Distinguished
May 23, 2004
The external drives typically have a shorter warranty and may soon be down lower than $80 for 500GB so IMO there is no reason to buy one in an external enclosure unless you actually plan on using the enclosure for that or some other drive.

Further the drive is SATA and inside what one Newegg reviewer describes as a "sealed metal cage" you will have to damage, meaning that opening the enclosure to get the drive at all will make your warranty immediately void not just technically but they will be able to tell if you tried to RMA it.