Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Poor PQ of NCAA BB on CBS??

Last response: in Home Theatre
Share
Anonymous
March 26, 2005 4:58:18 PM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

Anyone else watching the NCAA games on CBS see the picture quality fluctuate
from pretty good to fuzzy and poor every few minutes or so during the game?
It seems like the picture will be good and then there will be several
seconds when it gets kind of blurry, often when the action starts again
after a foul or timeout. I'm using a DN 921 receiver and picking it up OTA
but I've never seen this problem with any other OTA or Satellite HD,
including football which is usually VERY good. This leads me to believe that
it's a problem with the actual feeds from CBS Network or the location
trucks. Anyone else seeing the same thing or does it all look good to
everyone else??

bobUKcat

More about : poor ncaa cbs

Anonymous
March 27, 2005 3:36:33 AM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

bobukcat wrote:
> Anyone else watching the NCAA games on CBS see the picture quality fluctuate
> from pretty good to fuzzy and poor every few minutes or so during the game?
> It seems like the picture will be good and then there will be several
> seconds when it gets kind of blurry, often when the action starts again
> after a foul or timeout. I'm using a DN 921 receiver and picking it up OTA
> but I've never seen this problem with any other OTA or Satellite HD,
> including football which is usually VERY good. This leads me to believe that
> it's a problem with the actual feeds from CBS Network or the location
> trucks. Anyone else seeing the same thing or does it all look good to
> everyone else??
>
> bobUKcat

I have not been watching the NCAA games all that much, but I have not
seen the effect you are getting. Does your local CBS station multi-cast?
A lot of broadcast stations have been busy recently adding a 2nd sub
channel with the local weather & news tickers (with paying ads). The 2nd
sub-channel will degrade the picture quality regardless, but if the
station has not taken care to minimize the bandwidth taken up by the 2nd
channel, it will degrade the picture quality of the HD broadcast more
than it has to.

Alan F
Anonymous
March 27, 2005 5:24:57 AM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

I've been watching it here this afternoon on my Bell ExpressVu 6100. I have
an Hitachi 51S500, and the HD picture and sound are stunning - even my wife
had to comment. No problems here - absolutely brilliant!

--

Dave (Since1962) AYBABTU
www.canmorealberta.com

bobukcat wrote:
| Anyone else watching the NCAA games on CBS see the picture quality
| fluctuate from pretty good to fuzzy and poor every few minutes or so
| during the game? It seems like the picture will be good and then
| there will be several seconds when it gets kind of blurry, often when
| the action starts again after a foul or timeout. I'm using a DN 921
| receiver and picking it up OTA but I've never seen this problem with
| any other OTA or Satellite HD, including football which is usually
| VERY good. This leads me to believe that it's a problem with the
| actual feeds from CBS Network or the location trucks. Anyone else
| seeing the same thing or does it all look good to everyone else??
Anonymous
March 27, 2005 9:35:34 AM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

In article <e6edna9XN-k3pdvfRVn-ig@comcast.com>,
Alan Figgatt <afiggatt@comcast.net> writes:
> bobukcat wrote:
>> Anyone else watching the NCAA games on CBS see the picture quality fluctuate
>> from pretty good to fuzzy and poor every few minutes or so during the game?
>> It seems like the picture will be good and then there will be several
>> seconds when it gets kind of blurry, often when the action starts again
>> after a foul or timeout. I'm using a DN 921 receiver and picking it up OTA
>> but I've never seen this problem with any other OTA or Satellite HD,
>> including football which is usually VERY good. This leads me to believe that
>> it's a problem with the actual feeds from CBS Network or the location
>> trucks. Anyone else seeing the same thing or does it all look good to
>> everyone else??
>>
>> bobUKcat
>
> I have not been watching the NCAA games all that much, but I have not
> seen the effect you are getting. Does your local CBS station multi-cast?
> A lot of broadcast stations have been busy recently adding a 2nd sub
> channel with the local weather & news tickers (with paying ads). The 2nd
> sub-channel will degrade the picture quality regardless, but if the
> station has not taken care to minimize the bandwidth taken up by the 2nd
> channel, it will degrade the picture quality of the HD broadcast more
> than it has to.
>
Our local CBS station has apparently dropped the weather radar (but left
on the news/weather subchannel), and the improvement appears to be significant.
Before, I would see the breakup with lots of movement, but now -- just
a cursorary check -- it looks a little better.

John
Anonymous
March 27, 2005 12:45:32 PM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

"John S. Dyson" <toor@iquest.net> wrote in message
news:D 25gn6$gt1$3@news.iquest.net...
> In article <e6edna9XN-k3pdvfRVn-ig@comcast.com>,
> Alan Figgatt <afiggatt@comcast.net> writes:
>> bobukcat wrote:
>>> Anyone else watching the NCAA games on CBS see the picture quality
>>> fluctuate
>>> from pretty good to fuzzy and poor every few minutes or so during the
>>> game?
>>> It seems like the picture will be good and then there will be several
>>> seconds when it gets kind of blurry, often when the action starts again
>>> after a foul or timeout. I'm using a DN 921 receiver and picking it up
>>> OTA
>>> but I've never seen this problem with any other OTA or Satellite HD,
>>> including football which is usually VERY good. This leads me to believe
>>> that
>>> it's a problem with the actual feeds from CBS Network or the location
>>> trucks. Anyone else seeing the same thing or does it all look good to
>>> everyone else??
>>>
>>> bobUKcat
>>
>> I have not been watching the NCAA games all that much, but I have not
>> seen the effect you are getting. Does your local CBS station multi-cast?
>> A lot of broadcast stations have been busy recently adding a 2nd sub
>> channel with the local weather & news tickers (with paying ads). The 2nd
>> sub-channel will degrade the picture quality regardless, but if the
>> station has not taken care to minimize the bandwidth taken up by the 2nd
>> channel, it will degrade the picture quality of the HD broadcast more
>> than it has to.
>>
> Our local CBS station has apparently dropped the weather radar (but left
> on the news/weather subchannel), and the improvement appears to be
> significant.
> Before, I would see the breakup with lots of movement, but now -- just
> a cursorary check -- it looks a little better.
>
> John

Here in West Michigan I have the same thing. It has only just started with
this tournament. Football last fall was fantastic. Also, I get a lot of
audio breakups on CBS HD; this has been going on since I got my antenna put
up.
Anonymous
March 27, 2005 1:49:57 PM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

> I have not been watching the NCAA games all that much, but I have not
> seen the effect you are getting. Does your local CBS station multi-cast?
> A lot of broadcast stations have been busy recently adding a 2nd sub
> channel with the local weather & news tickers (with paying ads). The 2nd
> sub-channel will degrade the picture quality regardless, but if the
> station has not taken care to minimize the bandwidth taken up by the 2nd
> channel, it will degrade the picture quality of the HD broadcast more
> than it has to.
>
> Alan F

Interesting, I didn't know that multicasting could / would cause problems
with the HD feed, but no, WKRC here in Cincy does not multicast. The weird
part is that this has never been a problem for NFL games or any other
program I've watched. I was going to e-mail Harris who is sponsoring the
HDTV broadcast of the tournament and tell them they aren't getting their
money's worth but it sounds like the problem may be at the local station as
it's not a problem for everyone.

bobukcat
March 27, 2005 6:49:39 PM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

"Kelly Coleman" <kelecoleman@charter.net> wrote:

>
>
>"John S. Dyson" <toor@iquest.net> wrote in message
>news:D 25gn6$gt1$3@news.iquest.net...
>> In article <e6edna9XN-k3pdvfRVn-ig@comcast.com>,
>> Alan Figgatt <afiggatt@comcast.net> writes:
>>> bobukcat wrote:
>>>> Anyone else watching the NCAA games on CBS see the picture quality
>>>> fluctuate
>>>> from pretty good to fuzzy and poor every few minutes or so during the
>>>> game?
>>>> It seems like the picture will be good and then there will be several
>>>> seconds when it gets kind of blurry, often when the action starts again
>>>> after a foul or timeout. I'm using a DN 921 receiver and picking it up
>>>> OTA
SNIP
>
>Here in West Michigan I have the same thing. It has only just started with
>this tournament. Football last fall was fantastic. Also, I get a lot of
>audio breakups on CBS HD; this has been going on since I got my antenna put
>up.
>


Yes, I am seeing the same here although it is not happening that often
so some with smaller HD sets or those very involved with the action
are just not noticing the very brief out of focus look. I just wanted
you know you are not seeing things. ;^)
Anonymous
March 31, 2005 3:43:47 AM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

"bobukcat" <bobukcat@killspam.fuse.net> wrote in message
news:9e601$4245b0c7$d844d335$31302@FUSE.NET...
> Anyone else watching the NCAA games on CBS see the picture quality
fluctuate
> from pretty good to fuzzy and poor every few minutes or so during the
game?
> It seems like the picture will be good and then there will be several
> seconds when it gets kind of blurry, often when the action starts again
> after a foul or timeout. I'm using a DN 921 receiver and picking it up OTA
> but I've never seen this problem with any other OTA or Satellite HD,
> including football which is usually VERY good. This leads me to believe
that
> it's a problem with the actual feeds from CBS Network or the location
> trucks. Anyone else seeing the same thing or does it all look good to
> everyone else??
>
> bobUKcat
>
>

Yes, I get WLKY from 55 miles away and on my DLP it would get very blurry
and then clear up, has done this for every HDTV game I watched. They did
turn of the sub-channel, but it did not help much.

MikeULbird
Anonymous
April 2, 2005 11:09:33 PM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

"bobukcat" <bobukcat@killspam.fuse.net> wrote in message
> news:9e601$4245b0c7$d844d335$31302@FUSE.NET...
>> Anyone else watching the NCAA games on CBS see the picture quality
> fluctuate
>> from pretty good to fuzzy and poor every few minutes or so during the
> game?
>> It seems like the picture will be good and then there will be several
>> seconds when it gets kind of blurry, often when the action starts again
>> after a foul or timeout. I'm using a DN 921 receiver and picking it up
>> OTA
>> but I've never seen this problem with any other OTA or Satellite HD,
>> including football which is usually VERY good. This leads me to believe
> that
>> it's a problem with the actual feeds from CBS Network or the location
>> trucks. Anyone else seeing the same thing or does it all look good to
>> everyone else??
>>
>> bobUKcat
=============
Someone specializing in MPEG encoding at AVSforum.com replied to this
problem recently, suggesting it's a property of an older encoder (Harris)
still used by some stations. His (dr1394) post is in the programing section,
wtihin the last several weeks, so a search could pinpoint it. Never seen it
myself, but my cable company has a direct fiber-optic feed, bypassing any
broadcasting gear.
John
!