Sign in with
Your question

How to Set up Raid with no Floppy Drive in Vista

Last response: in Storage
November 10, 2007 1:26:14 PM

I am getting ready to build a new system and planned on going raid 0 with 2-500 gb drives. After reading I noticed that every one says load drivers on floppy in order for the OS to use the correct drivers during the install. What do you do if you dont have a floppy drive? Can and usb thumb/flash drive work or will windows not recognize it in pre windows mode?

November 10, 2007 2:41:02 PM

yo que putas se cabron, no it wont, stranger
November 10, 2007 6:59:05 PM

I never needed drivers when I installed Windows Vista...I just installed it and my raid works fine...I think Vista is loaded with alot of drivers already you can try installing it with out the drivers...they might already be on the CD.:) 
Related resources
November 10, 2007 7:10:20 PM

I read something about being able to put RAID drivers on a bootable CD or Flash Drive ONLY with VISTA. Of course you'll need a floppy with XP and there's no way around that as I found out with my build last night...

Correction, just looked in my MB manual under RAID setup and it says ONLY with a floppy OR USB FLASH DRIVE. Your MB manual should have a section with step by step instructions on how to set it up. If not, I could type in the instructions from my MB manual... but I'm too lazy unless you REALLY need it... : P
a b G Storage
November 10, 2007 7:10:59 PM

If RAID doesn't work and you need drives try disabling RAID from the BIOS before installing Vista. Then install the RAID drives and then enable RAID in BIOS or the other way around (enable BIOS 1st then install drivers). But usually Vista will install drives. I have come across this issue when installing RAID with XP and Vista.
November 11, 2007 2:17:31 AM

If this is an Intel Matrix Storage RAID solution, then Windows Vista comes with the drivers pre-installed.
November 11, 2007 12:21:31 PM

Its a Gigabyte GA-P35-DS4 (Rev. 2) motherboard and the manual says it has either a South Bridge or the Gigabyte Sata 2 devices. Not sure why they have 2 different types of SATA interfaces though?

Chip set of the MB is North Bridge- Intel P35 and South Bridge- Intel ICH9R

MB Specs.

http://www.giga-byte.com/Products/Motherboard/Products_...
November 11, 2007 6:09:32 PM

If you use the ports connected to the ICH9R, the drivers are already on the Vista CD. It's probably best to go ahead and create the RAID volume in the OROM (The CTRL-I tool you see after the BIOS) before installing Windows-- the biggest reason is to make sure that you're really in RAID mode.

As long as you start in RAID mode, you could create the RAID0 volume later, through the Windows UI. It has the ability to do a "Create from existing" which basically will migrate the data from the single disk to a new RAID0 volume. (i.e. add a second disk to a system, and to a "Create From Existing" to a new RAID0 using both disks)
November 16, 2007 10:21:52 PM

Well new system build went well. Raid 0 with 2-500 gb drives so 1TB total. I went ahead and bought another floppy drive to replace my defective one , big $14 dollars worth. I was being lazy and didn't want to go buy one. Anyways went ahead and loaded the drivers off of that during OS install. Thanks for the input. Drives sure do seem to be going all the time though. Its like the HD LED never stops going.

November 19, 2007 2:44:56 AM

There's nothing about RAID0 that would cause the disks to be continuously in use. You might want to look at what processes are running. Do you have anything doing disk defrags in the background, for example? A good spyware/ virus check may also be in order (although that may be less likely given your recent install).
November 19, 2007 11:24:50 AM

andrew010766 said:
Well new system build went well. Raid 0 with 2-500 gb drives so 1TB total. I went ahead and bought another floppy drive to replace my defective one , big $14 dollars worth. I was being lazy and didn't want to go buy one. Anyways went ahead and loaded the drivers off of that during OS install. Thanks for the input. Drives sure do seem to be going all the time though. Its like the HD LED never stops going.

Vista indexes everything on your hard drive by default. The large amount of HDD I/O will slow, then stop, as Vista learns where everything is.
November 19, 2007 12:34:45 PM

Thanks for all the suggestions. I found out Vista has a scheduled automatic defrag by default. So the problem was defrag was running in the background all the time and not able to finish because I was either using the system or if not the system was in sleeep mode so defrag could not run and would start up when the system came back on. Anyways turned off auto defrag and just run it manually when I need to.
!