Sign in with
Your question

Need major help please. No display at boot!

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 22, 2007 11:40:00 PM

Hi all! I'm noob here. Came across this site on google trying to find some help.

I was just putting together my new PC by myself. Here my h/w

Asus P5N-E SLI mobo
XFX 8600gt
ocz 2x1gig ram
WD hdd
lite-on dvd
Intel E6750 cpu

So i connected everything correctly (i think). my monitor has DVI cable and the older fashion cable (Dup or something?) But I coludn't find the DVI cable so i went with the (Dup?) since the card has a Dup to DVI connector. As soon as I powered up the computer, everything looks fine, cpu heatsink, case fan, 8600gt fan, all running. But there is no display on the screen. It says "Searching for a source signal" and just keep flashing the power LED on the monitor. What can possibly be happening here and how may I fix this? The mon works okay with my older computer with the (Dup) connecting video card.

Please give me some suggestions. I don't know what to do now. Thanks!

PS: You know those cables from the PSU that connects to the mobo to give it power? I have connected that 24pin plug and the other 12V little plug. But I see two extra PCI-E power plugs. I do'nt know if I should plug them on the mobo somewhere. Will this be the problem? The 8600 fan is spinning tho...

More about : major display boot

August 22, 2007 11:52:05 PM

have you plugged a pci-e power cable into the 8600gt, itself? there should be a plug on the end of the card.
August 22, 2007 11:55:24 PM

remember to make ABSOLUTELY sure that everything is seated correctly and everything is plugged in (some things might look like they are but they could be loose)
Related resources
August 23, 2007 12:00:59 AM

don't laugh

there is a PCI-E plug on the card?...

let me check now!..
August 23, 2007 12:15:18 AM

Yes, the card goes firmly into the PCI-E slot (black slot). The PCI-E power connector on the video card is also black in most cases. Its small and has four pins. The card should have come with a power connector. Take a look at the manual that came with the card, it might help.
August 23, 2007 1:42:05 AM

The manual just says to plug the video card into the PIC-E slot firmly. my xfx8600gt doesn't come with a power connector (is it not supposed to be like this?).

I rearranged some RAMs and now i get some beeps.

1 long beep ->3 short beeps about 5secs later, 1 more beep

I don't know what that means
!