Motherboard Wiring Questions

humbajoe

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2007
I'm putting together my first computer and I'm having a boat load of confusion with the wiring part of this. I think I've figured out a good chunk of the problems I've been having, still have a couple wires hanging around that i'm scratching my head over but what those connect to i don't think I really need anyway.

The biggest problem is i can't figure out what pins to plug my front ear and mic port connectors to. my motherboard tells me that the pins are supposed to plug into these:

1: PORT1_L
2: AUD_GND
3: PORT1_R
4: PRECENCE_J
5: PORT2_R
6: SENSE1_RETURN
7: SENSE_SEND
8: Empty
9: PORT2_L
10: SENSE2_RETURN

and my manual tells me to connect ear and mic connectors to the following:
MIC-VCC to MIC POWER or MICPWR
MIC-IN to MIC INPUT or MIC2
GND to GROUND or AGND
EAR L to AUD_FRONT_L
EAR R to AUD_FRONT_R
LINE L to AUD_RET_L
LINE R to AUD_RET_R

does anyone know what I'm supposed to do in the case of my particular motherboard here?

Also if anyone can help, the other cords I'm scratching my head over are labeled "Case Open", "Speaker", and I'm not certain which of these vines of power connectors I connect my case fan to.

Also, I'm using an EVGA nForce680i SE SLI motherboard and a Thermaltake Swing VB6000 Series case

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
This is the online manual that are often easier to read, their bigger and in color. Check page 11, looks like the sound connection is on the far side of the reset switch in front of the PCI slot, number 21 on page 11. P24 has the audio connection. Hopefully, you have a plug coming from the case and won't have to plug in each individual wire. You should be able to either plug the case fan to a molex plug, the big, white plastic plug. The onboard audio may not support the front mic.
http://www.evga.com/products/pdf/680i%20manual.pdf

humbajoe

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2007
oh, I found the spot where i have to plug the audio in, and I do have to plug in each individual wire. I already looked at that manual and that's where the confusion is coming through because they label their pins entirely different from why my wires are labeled, as I've stated above

fferree

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
That situation can be confusing. The wiring of course comes with the case and the labelling varies and sometimes you don't use all the wires. I always study the manual and try to figure out what is what.
The on-line manual was a great idea.

humbajoe

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2007
Yes, as I've stated...many times now I've already looked through the manuals INCLUDING the online manual. If you'd just look at my original post I've already included all of the information that has been gathered from these resources.

I don't mean to sound pissy here but...did any of you actually read my post in full?

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006

I think fferree and, I know, I read your post and I think we're saying the same thing, to solve this problem you must start with the manuals for the mobo and case. I have an old Antc case that requires connecting each wire for the from USB and firewire, fortunately it's going to a grandkid at the end of the week, and as in your case the case labels the wires differently that the mobo labels the pins. What you need to do is start with the case manual and find the wires for the line out and which is positive and negative and then find the equivalent pins on the mobo. There is a lot of trial and error but usually in a row of pins one side is + and the other -. Once you figure out one, e.g., the line out, you go to the next. This takes time and patience. The alternative is to take the machine to a local shop that builds machines and pay them to hook it up. The solution starts with the manuals but it's a puzzle and you have to work it out.

fferree

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
One additional pointer is to look closely at the ends of the wires. There is a tiny triangle imprinted on one end, the positive end. You weren't really talking about the front panel connectors, but audio connectors
The question is: does your case have the audio wires that connect to the motherboard?

humbajoe

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2007
I am talking about audio connectors, for the front headphone and microphone port.

I have looked through the manuals and that is where the info in my first post came from.

fferree

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
I downloaded that motherboard manual (6MB). Were you checking it online or downloaded? This PDF file can be examined closely by zooming in on the screen. Please check out page 65 and figure out what that means. It would be worth it to download the manual.

humbajoe

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2007
Both, the information is not in the manual.

I just bought a new soundcard that provides proper documentation and better quality sound, so it doesn't matter anymore I guess