Sign in with
Your question

Windows XP second-hand purchase

Last response: in Windows XP
February 6, 2010 3:59:49 PM

Hello! I'm thinking of buying Windows XP Home license and because I want to save some money I turned to check some Windows XP Home Genuine second-hand offers. I came across a guy selling his Retail Genuine version which has been activated once before but is doesn't come with OEM EULA, so it can be installed on various machines.
After that I chatted with a techie who elaborated that Windows cannot be re-sold and this sale is illegal. He also said that if I were to buy any Windows from unauthorized distributor, the license would always be invalid because it's not my name written in the receipt. I easily assumed that after I read some threads over the same topic but what I don't understand is how any of this should concern end user like me?
If I am ever to be checked in the future (which is highly unlikely for an end user like; even at an airport check), I can always say that a friend of mine (whose name is written in the receipt) has lent me his computer to use it for a while. And nobody can prove anything. Is this correct ? Or am I mistaken ? :sarcastic: 

P.S. Sorry for my English and thanks for your replies.

More about : windows hand purchase

February 6, 2010 4:29:52 PM

Probably you can get some hint from the following URL:

Buying secondhand computer how to check if windows Os (Xp)

is legal prior to purchase?

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en/genuinewindowsxp/...

if i have purchased secondhand copy of genuine win xp pro then can i register it :

http://sawaal.ibibo.com/computers-and-technology/if-pur...

http://www.quickonlinetips.com/archives/2005/05/microso...

http://cgi.ebay.ca/New-Microsoft-Windows-XP-Professiona...

Good luck..
February 6, 2010 11:18:26 PM

greenfield, did you read the disclaimer at the bottom of the eBay link?

Quote:
Disclaimer:
This is Dell OEM software thus a Dell computer will be included. No warranty.... Thank you!

I'm tempted to get it for myself.... Bargain!
Related resources
February 7, 2010 2:03:04 AM

It doesn't say anything about what kind of Dell PC comes with it. And with $8.95 shipping costs, I wouldn't expect much. If it was anything worth while, they would be advertising in big bold letters that a PC comes with it.

Go for it though. I'm curious to know what comes with it.
February 7, 2010 2:06:40 AM

ToughMan69 said:
Hello! I'm thinking of buying Windows XP Home license and because I want to save some money I turned to check some Windows XP Home Genuine second-hand offers. I came across a guy selling his Retail Genuine version which has been activated once before but is doesn't come with OEM EULA, so it can be installed on various machines.
After that I chatted with a techie who elaborated that Windows cannot be re-sold and this sale is illegal. He also said that if I were to buy any Windows from unauthorized distributor, the license would always be invalid because it's not my name written in the receipt. I easily assumed that after I read some threads over the same topic but what I don't understand is how any of this should concern end user like me?
If I am ever to be checked in the future (which is highly unlikely for an end user like; even at an airport check), I can always say that a friend of mine (whose name is written in the receipt) has lent me his computer to use it for a while. And nobody can prove anything. Is this correct ? Or am I mistaken ? :sarcastic: 

P.S. Sorry for my English and thanks for your replies.

As long as you are buying a retail copy of windows, it's legal for you. It becomes illegal, if the seller is still using the registered install of windows. If they have formatted their computer, and installed a different version, the license is no longer in use. You can then purchase it from them, and use it. The bottom line is, that copy can only be in use on 1 PC at a time.
February 7, 2010 5:38:24 AM

Lol Aford... I was being facetious.

The ad looks legit, I think their disclaimer didn't accurately portray what they meant to imply (dangerous, SOMEONE will want a pc with their puirchase I bet).

Nonetheless though the ad should have said the Xp OS cd was a Dell OEM one in the actual description not as an italicised disclaimer at the bottom of their listing.
February 7, 2010 5:44:18 AM

Awww, c'mon btk1w1. Don't shy away now. You could get an amazing deal! :lol: 

I am curious to know what kind of PC they include....
February 7, 2010 5:54:03 AM

lol
February 7, 2010 8:02:13 AM

aford10 said:
As long as you are buying a retail copy of windows, it's legal for you. It becomes illegal, if the seller is still using the registered install of windows. If they have formatted their computer, and installed a different version, the license is no longer in use. You can then purchase it from them, and use it. The bottom line is, that copy can only be in use on 1 PC at a time.

Thanks for your replies again and for that one particularly. The seller is an eminent user of the forum I saw the offer on and I don't think he will jeopardize his reputation with selling me currently activated copy of the OS. I bargained to buy it for 50$ instead of 65$, which was the original offer. :D 
February 7, 2010 12:26:29 PM

Good deal.

Keep in mind, if it's been activated more than 3 or 4 times, you may have to call Microsoft to have it activated.
February 7, 2010 4:13:00 PM

According to him, it's been activated only once. We'll see in a couple of days. :) 
!