Did my hard drive just fail? (video)

t3chb0y

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2006
Vid : http://tbc-global.biz.tm/1107/ebayHD10.zip

Turn up the sound a little and you should be able to hear the hard drive making some weird sound...

What does that sound supposed to mean?

I'm thinking the HD failed and so does my other 2 friends...

croc

Distinguished
BANNED
Sep 14, 2005
Sounds like heads searching in vain for sector 0.... Could be a bad pcb, but is it worth it trying to find a replacement? On the off-chance?

Find a large sledge hammer, take out your frustrations, then find the nearest trash bin.

Eagle-TSI

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2007
This HD is dead my friend. The clicking noise is the head trying to move left / right and not beeing able to.

What I'm about to say here will bring alot of comments I know but it's the truth.

If you have Very Important datas on it and don,t want to pay big money to have it back, there's 1 thing that you can try.

Put your HD in the freezer for about 2 hours. What it does is that it contract the steel of the 3 discs inside and let the Arm of the head move )

Take the HD of of the frezer, have your computeer ready to receive it. ( don,t waste time cuz the HD will be warming up fast )

Connect the HD as a secondary HD on a working computer. Boot in safe mode ( faster boot ), and try to access the hd. If it's working, transfert your data to you windows HD.

This is not a 100 % working solution... it's more like a 1 %.

Why tried that very often at my job with customer hd's and it actually worked 1 time. We saved important stuff ( kinda stuff you should make back-up every night but those users are doing it once a year ).

Like I said, Don't Quote to bash on me, it does work, ... maybe 1 out of 100 ! maybe 1 out of 1000,,,, I dunno.