therealchrist

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2006
Will there be any cheao X38 boards at launch? I'm trying the make a pc that will last for a good while( well at least the mobo, psu,case, ram , hdd and dvd) and I am currently looking at the Gigabyte GA P35C-DS3R it is cheap, supports all LGA 775 chips, DDR2 + 3 and is nicely overclockable. The only thing it does not have is PCI-E 2 . I was hoping to use this mobo for 3 or 4 years ( maybe more) and I reckon by then PCI- 2 will be the norm.

So do you guys know off any cheap x38 boards coming out?? Also what are your oppinions on PCI-2 ?? Do you think it will be long before it starts being used??

cb62fcni

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2006

Depends on your definition of "cheap." I'm estimating that the lowest-priced models (Such as Foxconn, possibly MSI) will be right around $250. Although it probably won't be long before GPUs are made with support for PCIE 2.0, there will remain a market for PCIE x16 for the next several years. Look at what happened with AGP, the same thing will likely replay for PCIE. There really aren't that many features that differentiate between the two, and since features such as overclockability are only speculation with the new chipset I wouldn't feel bad at all about buying P35 instead.

therealchrist

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2006
Cheers man thats making me feel a bit better. I am really suprised they are coming out with PCI-E 2 so soon. I wonder how long it will be before GPU's will start making any decent use off of it.

I think the X38 boards will be obsolete in 2 years when nehalem is introduced. DDR3 is very pricey now, and is not a better performer than DDR2. New vga cards will almost certainly work with the current pci-e x16. They won't sell many if they don't. I think there will be reasonably priced X38 motherboards, but you might have to wait . Get a basic gigabyte P35 DDR2 board, and save the $ for something else.