Was I ripped off for this hard drive? I paid $80 for 15k/147gb

enPhotic

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2006
Well, I don't think you got ripped off, I'd say that's a good price for that drive, if it's not too old.

It's not obsolete, it's a hard drive mainly used in file servers and such.

The drive uses an interface called SCSI. Unfortunately, SCSI cannot connect directly to the P5K, or really any motherboard on the market. To use the drive you would have to buy a separate RAID controller card, that has SCSI ports on it. This would be installed on one of the PCI slots, and the hard drive would connect to the card.

zenmaster

Splendid
Feb 21, 2006
No, you were not "Ripped" off, but this device is not really designed for home computers but rather Office Servers.

You will need to add a "SCSI" Controller card to your computer to make it work.

Something like this............
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816401008

However, your best bet is to try and sell it again and try and buy a SATA HDD instead of SCSI.

You were not ripped off, but most likely the drive was stolen via Employee theft.

It is worth far more than $80.

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
That's a PCI-X not PCIe.

@OP: I agree, sell it and get a SATA drive. Be careful, if the drive is stolen, you can get burned for theft or receiving/ trafficking in stolen goods. HDDs have serial numbers, and I would imagine most companies register them.

That Hard Drive retails anywhere from $259-$450.
So....even if you have to buy a SCSI controller, I wouldn't say the OP got ripped off.
However, you could have bought a 10,000rpm Raptor for the price of the drive and controller, would have plugged right into your motherboard, and for all practical desktop/home build purposes would have performed just as well.

LoneEagle

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2006
I believe it a 80 pins (SCA) too, right (not 68 pins)? 80 pins is a combined power to the 68 pins. If you buy a SCSI card, you must also add an adapter to convert 80 to 68. The previous post is an adapter for 68 pins. 80 are also normally in a cage for HotSwappable drive in a RAID5 configuration.

For the drive, 15K are the best and very expensive. Really for server environment.

Depends on how it was adverised. If the seller clearly stated it was a SCSI drive, then no.

If the seller didn't say what type of interface was necessary, then yes.

carver_g

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2007
Considering you need a $70 SCSI card to use it, yes you got ripped off.

?

$80 for the drive
$70 for the controller (using your number)
$10 for an 80 to 68 pin SCA adapter

$160 total. That's less than one would pay for the same size Raptor, and the SCSI drive spins 5k faster.

onestar

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2007
By the way...any SCSI controller from Ultra2 on up will work with that drive, however be aware that the data speed will be governed by the controller you choose even while the differences are neglible. Know also, that some SCSI controllers do not come with a bootable BIOS so be careful in your selection if you intend to boot from that drive. You will need an 80 to 68 pin SCSI adapter and a 68 pin cable.

One of the great things about SCSI is the number of disks one can run from one controller. I have one setup with 4 10K drives and another with three.

jt001

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2006
I don't know where you guys are getting your prices, but on eBay you can find a used SCSI card for under $10, sometimes even with RAID. I scored a dual channel RAID card with 256meg cache for $20 on there a few months back.

Also, the adapter typically costs more around $2-3, he can easily get the card and adapter for under $20.

As far as the drive, that is an insanely cheap price, I'm gonna have to agree with the poster that said it was likely stolen.

mford66215

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2007
My friend Mr. E. Bay has 147Gb scsi drives for sale under $80 all the time. I've purchased a bunch of them (hot swap versions) with max bids less than $65.

Usually these aren't stolen, mostly off-lease or pulled working when corporate upgrades the drive systems, etc.

Yes, I have >1Tb of hot swap scsi's running at the house for my music and movies...I mean, who doesn't anymore?

inktri

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2007
Thanks for all the replies guys

Umm with all these controller cards and 68pin to 80pin adapters, will the hard drive be significantly slower than if I were just to use some motherboard with SCSI ports?

And I heard someone mention about the heat. Will this really heat up too much if my computer has close to no cooling system?

I initially went for a 15k hard drive because I'm trying to build a cheap web server and figured a hard drive with a high rpm was necessary... will some SATA 10k rpm do just fine?

onestar

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2007
You will get rather uniform performance even with native controllers.

Adequate case cooling is always a good idea, but especially so if you are using SCSI as they (10k and 15k drives) are typically referred to as "space heaters". Anything that spins that fast is bound to generate some heat.

Web servers do not really "need" such high speed drives unless you have a great many simultaneous hits. SCSI is most noted for it's sustained tranfer speed. Almost any modern hard drive will perform well for modest service.