Keyboard problem

cowcrusher

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2006
It seems only my shift,ctrl,alt and windows keys work. I even tried my friends keyboard and it didnt even let me use shift,ctrl,alt and windows keys. Wtf is the problem? my keyboard is a usb g15 and his isnt usb, windows brand. (btw os keyboard sux)

cowcrusher

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2006
plz help, if i have to reinstall windows again i will be so mad, and there has to be like some way to fix this without that. i tried to reinstall drivers and diff restore pts. now sometimes when i hit a key a number string goes till i hit some key that will stop it,idk what key it seems random.

When you attached your friend's keyboard, did you shut down the machine completely? That is necessary when attaching a PS/2 keyboard.
1. If your friend's keyboard does work following a shutdown / restart, then it sounds like your G15 is defective.
2a. If it doesn't work, then uninstall all keyboard drivers. Restart with only the PS/2 keyboard attached. If it still doesn't work, then it may be your mobo.
2b. If it does, shutdown, attach G15 and remove PS/2 kb; restart.
3a. If that doesn't work, bad G15.
3b. If it does, may be a driver issue. Download the latest ones from Logitech's site and use those. What is your O/S?

sailer

Splendid
This sounds familiar, as it happened to me. In the BIOS settings, make sure that USB devices are enabled. In my case, after I had done some overclocking which failed, when the BIOS was set to default, some of the USB settings were disabled. I reset them and everything worked fine. You might also check to see if the Plug and Play setting is set for BIOS control or for OS control. Sometimes changing that setting can help.

cowcrusher

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2006

windowsxp and no

how do i chg plug and play in windows? also ill check my bios

cowcrusher

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2006
hm, wont let me access bios, but i can use my keyboard to get past the ide controller msg i get and if i restart while loading windows i can move up or down with arrows to start in safe mode,normally, and the rest of the crap that screen says. btw, my keyboard doesnt work in safe mode either. and what is really odd is my firewall lost all its settings, now i have to deal with its popups like ive just installed it

sailer

Splendid
You don't change the plug and play setting in Windows itself, but in the BIOS. Depending on your specific motherboard, there may be a line that reads "Plug And Play O/S (yes/no)" or something similar. I've found that somtimes I need to mark the line "Yes" while installing a hardware component and then I can change the line back to "No" after the hardware is installed.

From what you wrote about starting in safe mode and the keyboard still doesn't work, along with your firewall settings being lost makes me wonder if the keyboard is faulty and/or its software messed things up, or worse, that you've picked up a worm or other virus that's slowly wiping things out.

At this point, I'd try your friends old style PS/2 keyboard again, making sure the BIOS is set to use legacy devices, and then do a complete virus check. If there's no virus and you can manage to get things back to normal with the old keyboard, then you can try downloading the lastest drivers from Logitech and then re-installing the G15 keyboard using the latest drivers. If you can get the computer to work with the old style keyboard, but not the G15, you probably have a bad keyboard.

You might try using "System Restore" to go back to a period of time before the present troubles started. But I see you wrote that you tried different restore points and it didn't help. So from what I see, either the G15 is bad, you have picked up a virus, or the OS has become badly corrupted, in which case you may be stuck for a total system re-install. Yeah, that's maddening and time consuming, but sometimes it just has to be done.

sailer

Splendid
Well, its looks like you're stuck for a couple days of install, updates, and the rest of the garbage. One nice thing is that you'll end up cleaning out some of the junk you've forgotten about and no longer use. At least that always happens when I have to do a re-install.

cowcrusher

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2006

omg my keyboard wont let me enter bios so i can make my cd drive 1st boot device,maybe it is more than 1 problem... cause i now remember that the other day some water got on my keyboard. im going to try and use the other keyboard to chg boot devices

edit: wait cant i just start the install from xp?

sailer

Splendid
Hey, that sounds like good news! Strange thing about water, it does odd things when it gets into electrical components. Hope you can get everything straightened out now. Good luck.

cowcrusher

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2006

lol, well the thing is i spilt water and i thought it didnt hit my keyboard cause its in a tray under my desk, then when it stopped working it was 5 days after i spilt my water and i lifted up my board and there was water under there. It is just weird how my friends keyboard didnt work and my dads worked the 2nd time