680i + Q6600 + Overclocking = :(

Andrews

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2007
Good evening everyone! I've trolled these boards for quite awhile now, so I figured I might as well join in on the fun.

To introduce myself, I'm a n00b at heart who wants to see results, but can never find them. :p I've done enough reading on overclocking to make me sick to my stomach, so I thought I'd be specific and ask here.

My current specs:

evga 680i mainboard 122-CK-NF68-AR *P24 BIOS, which will not upgrade or flash higher. :(
Intel Q6600 Quad Core @ 2.4mhz *B3 stepping
egva 8800 GTX
4Gb G.Skill DDR 2 / 800mhz * 5-5-5-15 timings

Like I mentioned earlier, I've done a lot of reading, and for the life of me I can't seem to overclock this CPU. I'm shooting for a 3.0ghz system with aircooling (Zalman 9700 CPU cooler).

I'm not sure if I should just leave the 9x multiplier and up the FSB, leave AUTO voltages, change memory timings, blah blah blah! Every time I slowly increase the speed a bit, the system just reboots and loops.

I apologize if this thread has seen more attention than Paris Hilton, but I really need some good sound advice.

Thanks in advance,
Chris

akhilles

Splendid
You don't need to read anything but:

http://www.nvidia.com/docs/CP/45121/nforce_680i_sli_overclocking.pdf

What's the case & case cooling? Room temp?

Oh jeez, I think I see it. The AR revision may be it. The A1 is the best for o/cing quad. Have you o/c'ed a c2d on this mobo & how far?

Set up your bios like this:

http://www.bjorn3d.com/read.php?cID=1069&pageID=3204

Except for these:

CPU MULTIPLIER = 8 or 7
QDR = 1200
DDR = 800
MEMORY VOLTAGE = see your specs (1.9-2.3 = safe)

Your ram will need more than normal voltage if there are 4 sticks.

What error do you get when you update bios? How do you update bios? floppy/windows?

Andrews

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2007
Thanks for the quick responses. I've read about the AR mobo version not being Quad Core friendly. I've been trying to overlook this on purpose, since I don't wish to go through the hassle of taking things apart and dealing with the shipping. (which I just might have to do) I picked the parts out for the PC, but had someone build it for me. With that said, how would the eVGA RMA work? Could I just ship it to them or would I need to go through the seller of the PC?

Anyhow, I managed to update the BIOS to P30 and still notice the same scenarios, can't get much higher than 2.8ghz.

I am using the Stacker CM 830 case with 6 120mm fans, and a Zalman 9700 for the CPU heatsink/fan. I believe this to be ample cooling to push 3.0ghz. I like my room cool, so I would say it ranges between 69 and 75 degrees.

I failed to mention that the PC was shipped to me O/C to begin with, unfortunately, I lost the settings because I had to update the BIOS for the SATA connection issue. I don't recall what the specs were, but I know it was 3.0+Ghz.

Thanks again for the help, any news is good news.

akhilles

Splendid
Typically, you must contact the manufacturer to arrange for a RMA unless they instruct you otherwise. Their site usually details the procedure.

You have every right part for o/c except the combo of the mobo & quad.