I think my computer is possesed, I have never seen this before

13luckyblackcat

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2007
Well, where do I begin? Last month my PSU died, basically from overextending itself on a hot day. The mobo was fried too. So I replaced the mobo and PSU and it still would not start up, someone looked at it and it turns out that was both a connection error on my part and the start/restart button is tricky. Got my rig running yesterday, it worked fine for a few hours. Then when I went to shut down my computer yesterday, I noticed the screen was black (monitor was ON), the fans were still running, but it was otherwise as if the computer shut down. I restarted it and it would not restart, it would power for a few seconds then shut down. This morning I powered up again, was able to get into Windows for about 5 minutes, then my computer froze. Restarted computer, froze again. Then it would not restart for a few times, then it would power on, and shut down before getting to Windows. So I restarted it and went in to the setup area to see what was going on (CPU temp was 53-54 degrees, the CPU fan was running fine, mobo was 39 degrees) and the computer just shut itself down again. I am going to see someone about this problem tomorrow, but until then I was wondering if anyone had any idea what this issue might be? Software? Hardware? Something I overlooked? I have been without a computer for a month and I am very upset that this is happening after it was working fine briefly.

Thanks in advance
Amanda

Coolermaster Centurion chassis
ASUS M2N SLI Deluxe
AMD Athlon 64 x2 3800
Corsair DDR2 memory XMS2 TWIN2X1024-5400C4
Western Digital 250gb SATA
Forgot the graphics card details, EVGA something
PSU Corsair HX620W

snakedude

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2006
Sorry, the computer im using in chinese lol,
but i was trying to tell you ive had the same problem. First with my emachines. My brother removed the heat sink form the cpu and put it back on, dont know why, and dont know what else he did, but the computer would NOT go to the desktop. So i took a chance and bought a new board for the chip, and worked! I sold the computer to a friend and he did an incredibly stupid thing, while trying to overclock it he put the HT speed to 1600!! He experienced the same symptums of me, coudlnt get to the desktop, and after asking around, he had fried his HT bridge in the chipset.
So im guessing thats what happened to me before, and what happened to you.
also, if u think your situation is bad , read this:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/244412-31-doozey

Well, i have to disagree with the last guy. On my experience, hard drive problems are very consistent, and do not cause intermitent errors during boot sequence. Judging by what you said, you might have danified your RAM, wich would definetly explain the "randomic" nature of the problem. Also, I have seen a whole lot of similar errors due to a bad hardware connection (eg. thermal paste, heatsink, etc.). If your mobo does not have any means of telling you where the error is, you should know that boot process errors usually occur in this sequece: CMOS(bios = dead mobo), RAM, CPU. Peripherals and HDD may cause you to be unable to use the pc, but won't keep it from booting (unless it is actually possessed, in wich case i cannot help you =) ). You could do a ram test with a boot cd (hiren's is good), that is a good bet. Other than that, you could double-check your power source and installation, maybe try it on another pc.

13luckyblackcat

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2007
Well, I think I may have solved at least part of the problem after reading a post here where someone had a similar problem. Within seconds of using the start button to turn it on, I pull the little plugs out of the mobo that connect to the front panel. Now it's working fine. This is not a permanent solution though. Is it possible to repair my case or will I have to buy a new one? I'm not even sure how to open the area where the start button is.

It is this case: http://www.coolermaster.com/products/product.php?act=detail&tbcate=168&i d=180

Though you can't see the top front panel in the picture, the start and reset button, the mic/speaker jacks, USB and firewire are all in this pannel. I can get the front panel off to get to the drive bays but I don't see how to take apart the top panel.

The manual doesn't say how to take this panel off. http://www.coolermaster.com/uploads/support/Manual_%5BRC-532%5D_EN.pdf

Thanks ,
Amanda

croc

Distinguished
BANNED
Sep 14, 2005

Switch the pins for the start and reset buttons. (don't plug the start back in...)

Kari

Splendid
well your reset button might be malfunctioning. The first sympton (black screen, fans running etc) is similar to what will happen if you press and hold the reset button and since it is working fine with the frontpanel connectors unplugged, and if it is doing the same thing everytime when it freezes, then it is likely the reset button.
You could just leave it unplugged for now untill u get the button replaced/fixed

edit: sorry I cant help you with the case though

fferree

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
Some of the cases I've seen just clip in place. If you look inside the case at the spot where the front panel connects to the case you might be able to see the clips.