Sata Hard Disk Problems

Munkee87

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2007
I am running Window XP with two sata hard drives. For some reason the sata hard drives show up on the computer management screen and it says it is online but with errors on both. It also says the status of those drives are healthy but at risk. I have tried running error checking to fix the errors and recover the bad sectors, however that hasn't worked so far. Any suggestions or any reasons why this might be happening?

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
Try running the diagnostic/repair software from the hdd mfg(s). Could back up the data and format the drives. Very possible they are heading south. To be on the safe side, I'd get new drives. If still under warranty, RMA them

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
Have you tried different cables and connectors and run the mfg's diagnostic repair software? Again, possible they are bad or got corrupted Did you have any electrical outages?

qwertycopter

Distinguished
May 30, 2006
I recommend running AIDA32:
http://www.snapfiles.com/get/aida32.html

Open the Storage section and check out the SMART data. This will tell you if the drives are exceeding any of the SMART thresholds which would put the drives at risk (example: temperature). The SMART data should give you an idea of where the problem lies.

Also, If you are running a RAID then the problem might be with your array adapter and not the drives themselves.