Sign in with
Your question

Unable to format and install windows

Last response: in Windows XP
February 7, 2010 1:24:40 PM

Hello, I am having sony vaio vgn-fe8555e which is having default vista but i have degraded to xp sp2 and worked well for sometimes but recently my laptop got attacked by virus..i tried to clean but cudnt do and i decided to format and install the OS but unable to format and even boot and load windows(PC will get restart if i go for windows) and unable to read XP CD for installation. pls help me out thanx
February 10, 2010 4:11:43 PM

Hello Niwasreddy,

You need to see if your sony laptop is on the compatibility list for Windows 7. Make sure that the installation disc works! Can you test the Windows installation disk on another PC?

Windows 7 Compatibility: (There you will find out about hardware and software compatibilty.)
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/compatibility/en-us/de...
There is a pulldown from which you can choose "hardware" and "software".

thanks,

John M
Microsoft Windows Client Team
m
l
February 10, 2010 4:46:52 PM

The OP never said anything about windows 7. That has nothing to do with the problem as described.

@ niwasreddy
Take a soft cloth with some water, and clean any dirt and smudges off the OS disc. Use a can of duster to blow out your CD tray.

Make sure your CD drive is the first boot device in the BIOS. Once you save and exit the BIOS, on restart you should see a message to 'press any key.' Do so at that time.

If you still don't get that prompt, boot back into the BIOS. Disable any other boot options besides the CD drive. If you're using an IDE drive, make it the master drive. You may even want to unplug the hard drive.
m
l
Related resources
!