Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

A VOOM Customer Speaks!

Last response: in Home Theatre
Share
Anonymous
March 27, 2005 6:25:53 PM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

For all you "non-voomers", as a loyal and satisfied customer, here is what is
happening in the Voom world....

1. I received, both in email and snail-mail form, notice that voom is now
"VOOM, LLC", a newly formed company, with NO plans of pulling the plug, AND
they are STILL TAKING ON NEW CUSTOMERS. We have been reassured that they are
are here to stay.

2. They are encouraging us to signup new friends, and for every friend
signed we can get a free month of premium Voom.

3. In the last 10 days, more than 10 new channels have been added to the
Voom lineup.

You people should not speak before you have the facts. Voom is NOT going
anywhere.


Don

More about : voom customer speaks

March 27, 2005 6:25:54 PM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

Hey Don -
Just because "facts" 1,2, and 3 are true does NOT mean Voom is going to
succeed, nor do they make the statement "voom is not going anywhere" a fact.
Your personal speculation is NOT fact.


"Don Diego" <fakeid@nospam.com> wrote in message
news:Rnz1e.10151$or6.9673@fe55.usenetserver.com...
> For all you "non-voomers", as a loyal and satisfied customer, here is what
> is
> happening in the Voom world....
>
> 1. I received, both in email and snail-mail form, notice that voom is now
> "VOOM, LLC", a newly formed company, with NO plans of pulling the plug,
> AND
> they are STILL TAKING ON NEW CUSTOMERS. We have been reassured that they
> are
> are here to stay.
>
> 2. They are encouraging us to signup new friends, and for every friend
> signed we can get a free month of premium Voom.
>
> 3. In the last 10 days, more than 10 new channels have been added to the
> Voom lineup.
>
> You people should not speak before you have the facts. Voom is NOT going
> anywhere.
>
>
> Don
>
Anonymous
March 27, 2005 6:25:54 PM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

Calm down people. Let's just wait and see. I think we can all agree
that 1) 2) and 3) are encouraging to say the least. We'll know soon
enough. I personally find that they will stick around and will
hopefully get on the ball marketing-wise.

Once Voom starts acting like a REAL marketer, they will pickup more
subscribers. They need to market it as a mainstream satellite provider
with the following benefits: a) more channels (HD or otherwise) than the
competition, b) better picture quality and c) better or more compelling
content. Obviously they have to take steps to make sure a) b) and c)
are accurate. They can market to HD addicts secondarily through
word-of-mouth, direct mail, the forums and big box retailers who sell
HD sets, but I don't think it should be their biggest selling point
(not enough HD sets out there yet).

So them's my 2 cents.


--
macguyincali, Posted this message at http://www.SatelliteGuys.US
Anonymous
March 27, 2005 6:25:54 PM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

On Sun, 27 Mar 2005, Don Diego wrote:
> You people should not speak before you have the facts. Voom is NOT going
> anywhere.

Voom may have weathered the immediate crisis. Nevertheless, the problems
that led to that crisis persist.

I strongly recommend against the purchase of any Voom equipment. I would
also recommend against any equipment lease which is not tied to Voom
service and/or can be assigned to a third party (consider a recent fraud
where a telecom company went belly-up, and its customers were forced to
continue paying leases on overpriced equipment that had become useless).

If you can sign up on a deal with requires little or no up-front cost, has
only a monthly service/equipment lease cost, and allows you to cancel
service and surrender the equipment without penalty, then Voom may be
worth investigating.

I considered Voom a year ago, but decided against it, because:
1) high up-front costs to purchase equipment that would become worthless
if Voom fails
2) limited non-HD offerings. I'd like more HD channels, but there are
also some non-HD channels that I consider critical (at least until
those channels exist in HD).
3) little/no consideration for multiple TVs. The cost adds up pretty
quickly.
4) no consideration for RV users; there is *no* Voom offering suitable
for use in an RV.
5) Voom's satellite is very low in the sky for people in the Pacific
Northwest. We have tall trees here; DirecTV's and Dish's satellites
barely clear the treetops.
6) No DVR that I'm aware of.

The obvious Voom installation is in *addition* to whatever other cable or
satellite service you have, with Voom feeding the HDTV and the other TVs
fed by the other facility. That basically represents a doubling of the
monthly pay-TV bill, and having to remember two systems of channels.

When Voom started offering the $1 installation and no up-front costs that
smacked of desparation to get new customers.

These problems are not insolvable; but require money to do so. Voom has
burned through a great deal of Cablevision's money; which is why
Cablevision's board decided to kill it. OK, if you're the majority stake
owner you can fire the board and put in more compliant members. You can
also throw more money at Voom to keep it going. But it can't last
forever.

Voom has to make itself more attractive to potential customers, and I
doubt that it is going to happen.

-- Mark --

http://staff.washington.edu/mrc
Science does not emerge from voting, party politics, or public debate.
Si vis pacem, para bellum.
Anonymous
March 27, 2005 6:25:54 PM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

In article <Rnz1e.10151$or6.9673@fe55.usenetserver.com>, Don Diego says...
>
>For all you "non-voomers", as a loyal and satisfied customer, here is what is
>happening in the Voom world....
>
>1. I received, both in email and snail-mail form, notice that voom is now
>"VOOM, LLC", a newly formed company, with NO plans of pulling the plug, AND
>they are STILL TAKING ON NEW CUSTOMERS. We have been reassured that they are
>are here to stay.
>
>2. They are encouraging us to signup new friends, and for every friend
>signed we can get a free month of premium Voom.
>
>3. In the last 10 days, more than 10 new channels have been added to the
>Voom lineup.
>
>You people should not speak before you have the facts. Voom is NOT going
>anywhere.
>
>
>Don
>

1,2, and 3 may be true but your conclusion is not necessarily valid.
Cablevision is going to dump VOOM. They've granted their chairman an extension
to find financing to buy it. At last report he did not have it. Unless he
raises money someplace, possibly by selling his Cablevision shares, VOOM will
die for lack of cash. Those are the facts.
Anonymous
March 27, 2005 6:25:55 PM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

A thought to consider: I wonder what percentage of the TV viewing public
has HD equipment to view VOOM? While the number is going up all the time
no doubt,is it enough of a demographic fragment to save VOOM in the long
term SOON enough? I mean,if people like myself DO NOT CURRENTLY own an
HD capable TV (I am waiting for DirecTV's Spaceway offerings before I by
an ATSC capable TV) and I think there are a lot of them,what incentive
is there to get VOOM?
I look around MY neighborhood and so far,NO ONE on my block has an HD
set yet......and VOOM needs all the subs it can get.
Bottom line: They currently can only market to a tiny sample of the
viewing public,and I do not think enough people are going to buy HD sets
fast enough to save VOOM from fiscal disaster......
Anonymous
March 27, 2005 6:25:56 PM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

"SAC 441" <SAC441@webtv.net> wrote in message
news:11009-4246FA69-106@storefull-3252.bay.webtv.net...
>A thought to consider: I wonder what percentage of the TV viewing public
> has HD equipment to view VOOM? While the number is going up all the time
> no doubt,is it enough of a demographic fragment to save VOOM in the long
> term SOON enough? I mean,if people like myself DO NOT CURRENTLY own an
> HD capable TV (I am waiting for DirecTV's Spaceway offerings before I by
> an ATSC capable TV) and I think there are a lot of them,what incentive
> is there to get VOOM?
> I look around MY neighborhood and so far,NO ONE on my block has an HD
> set yet......and VOOM needs all the subs it can get.
> Bottom line: They currently can only market to a tiny sample of the
> viewing public,and I do not think enough people are going to buy HD sets
> fast enough to save VOOM from fiscal disaster......


I'm surprised Voom and the HD STB manufactures aren't marketing the improved
quality that SD television owners will achieve with 480i output to thier
televisions. Should be a big market for people who want "DVD Quality" from
thier existing televisions. Should also be a big market for converting the
NTSC SD OTA only crowd to ATSC OTA SD. Commercial could be something like...

"You mean we don't need a new television to pick up those crystal clear
broadcasts from the networks honey? No dear, all we need is one of these new
tuners and our existing antenna. Wow Bill...that looks as good as the DVD we
rented last night. I can't believe all those shadowy ghosts are gone." etc.
Anonymous
March 28, 2005 11:45:18 AM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

X-No-archive: yes

"SAC 441" <SAC441@webtv.net> wrote in message
news:11009-4246FA69-106@storefull-3252.bay.webtv.net...
>A thought to consider: I wonder what percentage of the TV viewing public
> has HD equipment to view VOOM? While the number is going up all the time
> no doubt,is it enough of a demographic fragment to save VOOM in the long
> term SOON enough? I mean,if people like myself DO NOT CURRENTLY own an
> HD capable TV (I am waiting for DirecTV's Spaceway offerings before I by
> an ATSC capable TV) and I think there are a lot of them,what incentive
> is there to get VOOM?
> I look around MY neighborhood and so far,NO ONE on my block has an HD
> set yet......and VOOM needs all the subs it can get.
> Bottom line: They currently can only market to a tiny sample of the
> viewing public,and I do not think enough people are going to buy HD sets
> fast enough to save VOOM from fiscal disaster......
>
=====================================================
I now know dozens of people and family who have HD sets.
Anonymous
March 28, 2005 11:46:59 AM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

X-No-archive: yes

"Charles Tomaras" <tomaras@tomaras.com> wrote in message
news:IIKdnfnrXLaFtNrfRVn-1Q@comcast.com...
>
> I'm surprised Voom and the HD STB manufactures aren't marketing the
> improved quality that SD television owners will achieve with 480i output
> to thier televisions. Should be a big market for people who want "DVD
> Quality" from thier existing televisions. Should also be a big market for
> converting the NTSC SD OTA only crowd to ATSC OTA SD. Commercial could be
> something like...
>
> "You mean we don't need a new television to pick up those crystal clear
> broadcasts from the networks honey? No dear, all we need is one of these
> new tuners and our existing antenna. Wow Bill...that looks as good as the
> DVD we rented last night. I can't believe all those shadowy ghosts are
> gone." etc.
==========================================
My friend and I had to argue with Comcast to get them to install a new HD
capable box.
They kept insisting that they cannot do it unless the customer has an HD
set.
It took a while, but they finally sent one out.
>
Anonymous
March 28, 2005 1:58:08 PM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

Mark Crispin wrote:
> On Sun, 27 Mar 2005, Don Diego wrote:
> > You people should not speak before you have the facts. Voom is NOT
going
> > anywhere.
>
> Voom may have weathered the immediate crisis. Nevertheless, the
problems
> that led to that crisis persist.
>
> I strongly recommend against the purchase of any Voom equipment. I
would
> also recommend against any equipment lease which is not tied to Voom
> service and/or can be assigned to a third party (consider a recent
fraud
> where a telecom company went belly-up, and its customers were forced
to
> continue paying leases on overpriced equipment that had become
useless).
>
> If you can sign up on a deal with requires little or no up-front
cost, has
> only a monthly service/equipment lease cost, and allows you to cancel

> service and surrender the equipment without penalty, then Voom may be

> worth investigating.
>
> I considered Voom a year ago, but decided against it, because:
> 1) high up-front costs to purchase equipment that would become
worthless
> if Voom fails

I got in last April. There were no up front costs at the time.


> 2) limited non-HD offerings. I'd like more HD channels, but there
are
> also some non-HD channels that I consider critical (at least
until
> those channels exist in HD).

They've expanded this quite nicely.

> The obvious Voom installation is in *addition* to whatever other
cable or
> satellite service you have, with Voom feeding the HDTV and the other
TVs
> fed by the other facility. That basically represents a doubling of
the
> monthly pay-TV bill, and having to remember two systems of channels.

It's not "obvious" at all. Voom offers nearly everything any cable
company offers except for the DVR and PPV.
Anonymous
March 28, 2005 1:59:51 PM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

SAC 441 wrote:
> A thought to consider: I wonder what percentage of the TV viewing
public
> has HD equipment to view VOOM? While the number is going up all the
time
> no doubt,is it enough of a demographic fragment to save VOOM in the
long
> term SOON enough? I mean,if people like myself DO NOT CURRENTLY own
an
> HD capable TV (I am waiting for DirecTV's Spaceway offerings before I
by
> an ATSC capable TV) and I think there are a lot of them,what
incentive
> is there to get VOOM?

Just in my immediate family, me, my two brothers, and my Dad have an HD
TV and HD service.
Anonymous
March 28, 2005 3:02:00 PM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

Good to hear the doors haven't been bared yet. Honestly though, if this
were their last chance of success do you think they would display any
signs of weakness in their marketing and advertising material? That
would be PR suicide.

I'm glad you're happy with their sevice, but looking at what all has
happend with the company I think it's a very risky move for any new
customers to invest in VOOM equipment. If they're still running a no
money down startup offer then this is a non-issue, I wish only the best
for VOOM, but the big picture of the company hasn't been a good one.
Anonymous
March 29, 2005 3:10:33 AM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

"Mark Crispin" <mrc@CAC.Washington.EDU> wrote in message
news:p ine.LNX.4.63.0503270913200.32574@shiva1.cac.washington.edu...
> 4) no consideration for RV users; there is *no* Voom offering suitable
> for use in an RV.

Actually it works just fine in an RV, as long as its parked.
!