glennd

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2007
hi
first post and some easy questions for you :)

what is the best CPU for a server out of the Xeon woodcrest 2Ghz @1333Mhz or the AMD Sempron 3000 ? what would be faster?

thanks
Glenn

glennd

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2007
the thing is we got a choice of either a new Xeon server or stay on the sempron 3000 one we got now and we dont know what one is the better CPU

dunklegend

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2005
The sempron is a good CPU if you only use it for internet and office, but the Xeon should be better because it has more cache and it's built specially for servers. The sempron is more like a low end desktop CPU

choirbass

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2005
well... it seems there really is only one choice if youre wanting better cpu performance... the xeon i 'believe' is dual core also (i was initially thinking it was quad core), giving it easily over twice the cpu performance increase compared to the single core budget sempron (primarily if your tasks are smp aware), im guessing the sempron is either s462 or s754, either way, the newer xeon can complete more work per clock cycle than the older K7 and K8 cpus, giving it about a 25% advantage at the same clock speed, give or take, depending on the task; ie 2.3-2.6 dual core K8 = ~2.0GHz dual core woodcrest... if the sempron is an older K7 cpu however, the difference should be even more pronounced... ...this is all assuming youre going to be stressing the cpu much, either way, you should notice quite a bit of difference for server use, even if only in system responsiveness, due to having the extra core available, to balance cpu work between cores.

glennd

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2007
blimey a very detailed answer and thank you, i didnt know the Xeon was dual core either, programes running on the server will be like plesk, apache, mysql smtp, ftp etc our only other problem would be mysql/site replication to another server in another datacenter (ill post that in another forum though).

Glenn