Feedback for my site: www.buildmyrig.com

brynnb

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2007
Hey guys,

I'm working on a new site that's still under construction, called www.buildmyrig.com. There are large parts of it still incomplete, but I'm wanting to know from people, like you, who are building new PCs, how useful you find the information there.

Some things I'd love to hear back from you guys is what information you need more of or parts that you find confusing under the "Build Guide" section. There should be some good information there, so we can both gain a little something by having you visit.

I plan on having recommendations on every page with more detailed information. A big challenge is how much to assume the regular user knows. If we start talking about chipsets on motherboards, and someone has no idea what they do, it tends to leave them confused.

Any sort of constructive replies or feedback would be great.

Thanks.

brynnb

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2007
Yeah, we'll hopefully have some other guides made once we get the build guide completed. There's still a ton of work to be done on it, though. The database idea sounds interesting, like a list of other available CPUs under the recommended ones organizing them by features. I'll probably add something like that. Thanks for the feedback.

gameryo

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2007
thats a good site considering its only under construction...keep up the good work...PS: i signed up on the forums :D

hassa

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2007
A feature that would be cool is a database for linking compatable parts

e.g. Q6600 chip would limit your motherboard choice
or wanting 8800GTX SLI would also limit your choice.

It would be a pain in the *** to setup with all the data (sort of thing you would want members to maintain for you), but it would allow people to pick certain components that they want and then see what is available to match.

Taking it to the full extreme, you would list features such as

compatable with Q6600
SLI 8800GTX
p35 chipset

The database would return a list of all motherboards that match.

This sort of feature would be useful for inexperienced users when trying to build systems

pous

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2007
I like the idea of the site. I agree that it'd be cool to have guides for building/overclocking... it'd be even better to have VIDEO guides... similar to something off of youtube or something, just have a video imbedded in the page that can play (or not) as the user is reading through things. You could even break it up into segments, like a little series on building the PC and then a separate one for OC'ing.

Other than that... I agree with hassa, it would be super helpful if their part selection early on limited what else they could pick later, nobody likes putting what they think is an 'awesome' rig together, only to find out that the parts are incompatible.

Keep up the good work though (=

ComputerCustomizer

Distinguished
May 23, 2007
Nice site. How many people do you have working on it?
I am thoroughly impressed. Keep it up! Pls.
A database of what works together and such would be a cool addition, as already mentioned. Good site layout.

brynnb

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2007
We're actually way ahead of you guys and already have a somewhat working system that puts components together that are compatible. You go through the process starting at the CPU, choosing which one you want, and then it takes you to compatible motherboards. This goes on all the way to sound cards.

There's two guys working on the site right now, including me. I own the site and I'm doing most of the content. He's been doing the component selector system along with a few news articles.

Video guides is actually a really good idea. I want this site to be as accessible as possible and I know there's a lot of people out there that hate reading.

zxcalibur

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2007
:sol: The site looks very good, well made and easy to navigate.

Videos will be a definite plus. Step-by-Step slide shows would be cool. Is the goal of the site to instruct on compatible hardware and how to put it together, or is it to design a rig that your company will build and ship? Maybe both? Do you want the visitors to just use the guide to come up with a shopping list they can use on their own or do you want them to go to you for parts or complete systems?

zxcalibur

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2007
Now that I took a closer look at the site I understand better. Looks great and very helpful for your audience.

Instructional videos and maybe funny videos would be cool to add more visitors and members.

Great job!

Falken699

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2007
GREAT site name, I am amazed you could snag it!!! You may get an offer down the line to sell it.

If you just make it a site, for now, where people post pictures and stuff, add some reviews of stuff you bought, and take reviews from readers as authors, you'd have a very popular site.

The community needs a grassroots site for build comments, and to showcase final builds. Most sites on the net take the "fun" out of it by trying to be too professional, too perfect.

Add a section called Newb's Corner, where people can post their mistakes, and things they learn along the way, where senior computer people can go in there and help everyone out.

doghills

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2007
All I can say is wow, that site has a lot of potential.

I would suggest adding the cooler master 690 to the case selection. It is a really amazing case, there are a bunch of reviews that show it. (In my opinion it is a better low end case than the centurion 5 which is saying something.)

Another thing I would add would be dual HD2900s in Crossfire, because in crossfire they beat out GTXs in SLI in a number of programs.

Another idea would be to set up a script of sometime to automatically search newegg for DDR2 800 ram at 2GB at the lowest price.

You might also think of expanding to overclocking some where down the line.

SiriusStarr

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2007
Great site! I'm going to agree with most of the suggestions here. Also, for the pre-built systems, you might want an AMD/Intel and an ATI/nVidia option for the fanboys. All-in-all, looks good. Registered and good WOT'ed.

SiriusStarr

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2007
Uh oh.... Bug:

When I go to login on the forum (http://www.buildmyrig.com/login/) I get:

You are not authorised to view this resource.
You need to login.

That's what I'm trying to do! :)

brynnb

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2007
Hey Everyone,

It's been a while since the site's been updated because of everything else going on right now. I had to take the News section down because I didn't have time to update it regularly and didn't want stale content.

There's still a lot I want to do with this site - I actually just talked to some coders today about getting the "builder beta" out of beta and having a really good, solid application that everyone can use easily. It should be in the works relatively soon.

It's always been a goal to have overclocking/build tutorials, but it's just another very time consuming effort that I haven't gotten around to, yet.

The Pre-Builts badly need to be updated, which is something I'll likely do soon. Everyone here is welcome to give suggestions for alternate components or whatever.

Also, I know the login's broken. It's a long story, but it's a huge hassle to fix. If you look at the forums, there's a little disclaimer saying that you have to login with the box at the bottom of the forums page.

Thanks for all the feedback, everyone.