Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Sony Grand WEGA KF50WE620 (opinions wanted)

Last response: in Home Theatre
Share
Anonymous
March 27, 2005 10:25:02 PM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

Hi,

This seems like best place to get an opinion on the Sony KF50WE620 (50 inch
LCD back projection). Maybe it's just my eyes, but I like the image much
better than the DLP units, or any other LCD for that matter. Seems to have
the options I'm looking for too.

Any reasons not to buy it?

Thanks in advance for you constructive opinions.
Anonymous
March 27, 2005 11:00:11 PM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

"MGB" <buchwald@telusplanet.net> wrote
>
> This seems like best place to get an opinion on the Sony KF50WE620 (50
> inch
> LCD back projection). Maybe it's just my eyes, but I like the image much
> better than the DLP units, or any other LCD for that matter. Seems to
> have
> the options I'm looking for too.
>
> Any reasons not to buy it?

The current generation Sony LCD RPTVs have a solid reputation. Some people
don't like their picture, but if you do then it's a good buy. They do a
specially good job on regular broadcasting. Myself, I have a problem with
those big plastic wings, but that's a matter of personal taste and the space
you have in your house. Early 620s had a habit of eating lamps at $300 a
pop, but current ones seem to have gotten over that.

Sony will be bringing out a new generation of LCD rear projection TVs this
summer. The main advantage is greater capacity for the home user to
fine-tune the picture, plus less width on the 42 and 50 inch models. You can
read about them here
http://news.sel.sony.com/pressrelease/5686

If these features don't tempt you to wait (which I'm going to do) they may
cause prices of the current generation sets to drop during the summer.

If you do buy, enjoy your 620.
March 28, 2005 1:28:24 AM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

I have the 42 inch Sony Wega. I switched from a 42 inch plasma because the
picture was better on the LCD. Little difference in the HD pic but
significantly better on the SD picture, which unfortunately, is what I get
the most of in the sticks here in Florida.

Jim

"MGB" <buchwald@telusplanet.net> wrote in message
news:2UC1e.99886$ZO2.92111@edtnps84...
> Hi,
>
> This seems like best place to get an opinion on the Sony KF50WE620 (50
> inch
> LCD back projection). Maybe it's just my eyes, but I like the image much
> better than the DLP units, or any other LCD for that matter. Seems to
> have
> the options I'm looking for too.
>
> Any reasons not to buy it?
>
> Thanks in advance for you constructive opinions.
>
>
Related resources
March 28, 2005 4:50:54 AM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

"Dave Gower" <davegow.removethis@magma.ca> wrote in message
news:2PKdnVyMzNWN1NrfRVn-oQ@magma.ca...
>
> "MGB" <buchwald@telusplanet.net> wrote
>>
>> This seems like best place to get an opinion on the Sony KF50WE620 (50
>> inch
>> LCD back projection). Maybe it's just my eyes, but I like the image much
>> better than the DLP units, or any other LCD for that matter. Seems to
>> have
>> the options I'm looking for too.
>>
>> Any reasons not to buy it?
>
> The current generation Sony LCD RPTVs have a solid reputation. Some people
> don't like their picture, but if you do then it's a good buy. They do a
> specially good job on regular broadcasting. Myself, I have a problem with
> those big plastic wings, but that's a matter of personal taste and the
> space you have in your house. Early 620s had a habit of eating lamps at
> $300 a pop, but current ones seem to have gotten over that.
>
> Sony will be bringing out a new generation of LCD rear projection TVs this
> summer. The main advantage is greater capacity for the home user to
> fine-tune the picture, plus less width on the 42 and 50 inch models. You
> can read about them here
> http://news.sel.sony.com/pressrelease/5686
>
> If these features don't tempt you to wait (which I'm going to do) they may
> cause prices of the current generation sets to drop during the summer.
>
> If you do buy, enjoy your 620.
>
If you can wait, mature sets will sport two way cable cards. The first might
hit the street late Fall. No word yet from Sony on this issue.

Richard.
Anonymous
March 28, 2005 4:50:55 AM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

"Richard" <rfeirste@nycap.rr.com> wrote

> If you can wait, mature sets will sport two way cable cards. The first
> might hit the street late Fall. No word yet from Sony on this issue.

Well I'm on satellite so really have no use for either the built-in HD tuner
or cable card, but out of curiosity, what is a two way card?
Anonymous
March 28, 2005 4:50:55 AM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

I just can't see the extra $$$ in every sony set I see being worth it, every
store you walk into there's a samsung for $ 2600.00, toshiba for $ 2800.00,
panasonic for $ 3200.00, then theres a sony for usally much higher price
than the previous 3. I did consider them when purchasing my last tv and did
manage to get the prices close on sony/toshiba, but ended up going with a
toshiba 62hmx84, thats my preference, and everyone has one. I watched about
1 hour of pearl harbour dvd at two different stores on two different sets.
I would suggest anyone do the same, take your time, compare standard/high
def if possible. Good luck with whatever you end up purchasing.

"Richard" <rfeirste@nycap.rr.com> wrote in message
news:o xI1e.122791$H05.5675@twister.nyroc.rr.com...
>
> "Dave Gower" <davegow.removethis@magma.ca> wrote in message
> news:2PKdnVyMzNWN1NrfRVn-oQ@magma.ca...
>>
>> "MGB" <buchwald@telusplanet.net> wrote
>>>
>>> This seems like best place to get an opinion on the Sony KF50WE620 (50
>>> inch
>>> LCD back projection). Maybe it's just my eyes, but I like the image
>>> much
>>> better than the DLP units, or any other LCD for that matter. Seems to
>>> have
>>> the options I'm looking for too.
>>>
>>> Any reasons not to buy it?
>>
>> The current generation Sony LCD RPTVs have a solid reputation. Some
>> people don't like their picture, but if you do then it's a good buy. They
>> do a specially good job on regular broadcasting. Myself, I have a problem
>> with those big plastic wings, but that's a matter of personal taste and
>> the space you have in your house. Early 620s had a habit of eating lamps
>> at $300 a pop, but current ones seem to have gotten over that.
>>
>> Sony will be bringing out a new generation of LCD rear projection TVs
>> this summer. The main advantage is greater capacity for the home user to
>> fine-tune the picture, plus less width on the 42 and 50 inch models. You
>> can read about them here
>> http://news.sel.sony.com/pressrelease/5686
>>
>> If these features don't tempt you to wait (which I'm going to do) they
>> may cause prices of the current generation sets to drop during the
>> summer.
>>
>> If you do buy, enjoy your 620.
>>
> If you can wait, mature sets will sport two way cable cards. The first
> might hit the street late Fall. No word yet from Sony on this issue.
>
> Richard.
>
March 28, 2005 4:59:47 PM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

"Dave Gower" <davegow.removethis@magma.ca> wrote in message
news:i_ydndqTTchw49rfRVn-ug@magma.ca...
>
> "Richard" <rfeirste@nycap.rr.com> wrote
>
>> If you can wait, mature sets will sport two way cable cards. The first
>> might hit the street late Fall. No word yet from Sony on this issue.
>
> Well I'm on satellite so really have no use for either the built-in HD
> tuner or cable card, but out of curiosity, what is a two way card?
Current cable card equipped tuners let you subscribe to pay channels but not
purchase pay programs or use their interactive schedule program, etc.

Richard.
March 28, 2005 5:35:29 PM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

"MGB" <buchwald@telusplanet.net> wrote in message
news:2UC1e.99886$ZO2.92111@edtnps84...
> Hi,
>
> This seems like best place to get an opinion on the Sony KF50WE620 (50
inch
> LCD back projection). Maybe it's just my eyes, but I like the image much
> better than the DLP units, or any other LCD for that matter. Seems to
have
> the options I'm looking for too.
>
> Any reasons not to buy it?
>
> Thanks in advance for you constructive opinions.
>
>

I am with you mostly.....have been focusing on the Samsung DLP's but
everytime I compare the Sony with it, the Sony wins hands down. That was
until last week when I saw a JVC HD-ILA. Now I am as confused as ever.
Waiting is probably the best thing as most of the companies are coming out
with newer models promising better piks.
Anonymous
March 28, 2005 6:42:36 PM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

"Tecumseh" <tecumsehcanada@rogers.com> wrote

<... That was
> until last week when I saw a JVC HD-ILA. Now I am as confused as ever.
> Waiting is probably the best thing as most of the companies are coming out
> with newer models promising better piks.

I know the feeling. Some people say go ahead and buy because there will
always be something new and better and you can wait forever for the perfect
set. But I have the distinct impression that the industry is going through a
specially pivotal period now, with ATSC standards coming in and
micro-display sales taking off, which is driving frantic innovation and
investment among the manufacturers. So if someone is in the position I'm in
of having a decent TV (a 5-year old 36 inch direct view Sony) I think it
does pay not to be in too much of a hurry right now.

If I had to buy now I'd probably be tempted by the 50 inch Hitachi LCD.
Cheaper than the 620 and better overall picture IMHO, and in production
longer than the ILA. But since I'm going to wait I suspect I'll wind up
choosing between the upcoming Sony A10 and the next gen ILAs, neither of
which are burdened by those ugly speaker wings.
March 29, 2005 4:50:41 PM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

I am a total ignoramus when it comes to all things electronic and have
difficulty in comprehending the posts in this news group, where half the
written "words" are in the form of capital letters such as OTA, NTSC, DLP,
CRT, LCD, etc., etc. most of which I do not understand, nor do I
particularly wish to. I have always coped perfectly well with the normal
expanded words of the English (not the American dialect) language, & I am
just an ordinary bloke who occasionally wants to watch a TV show.

18 years ago I bought a 19" Sony TV which served us without any trouble
whatsoever for 18 years. 18 months ago, Comcast cable announced with great
fanfare that they were now transmitting in High Definition. Being totally
naive and ignorant, my wife and I decided the time had come to upgrade from
our trusty 19" set to this marvellous new system which we had heard all
about from our European and Japanese friends.

We went to Circuit City and after looking at everything on display, decided
on a Sony Grand Wega 42" High Definition Monitor. We have not regretted the
decision one iota. The quality of the picture is outstanding in High
Definition, and perfectly satisfactory on other channels which are not.

Where I made the mistake was in assuming that all the channels which we had
hitherto been watching in "regular" types of transmission were to be shown
in High Definition. They are not. There are only a handful of channels
which are in High Definition, and those seem to be repeating the same film
over and over again, mostly on INHD and INHD2 channels. I then bought a
Samsung tuner and, with the aid of a rotating aerial, was able to pick up a
few more High Definition broadcasts by radio waves. This extended out
viewing pleasure somewhat.

It seems to me that High Definition is in an experimental mode here in the
United States of America. It appears to me so many companies have different
ideas as to how to transmit what, that there is surely a call for some sort
of standardisation before the whole thing can settle down.

In the meantime, we enjoy what we can see, and would unreservedly recommend
the Sony Grand Wega as delivering the goods for a person who merely wants to
watch television and not get into all the esoteric ins and outs of 480i or p
or 1080 or whatever the current techno speak is babbling about.

Of course, the quality of the shows one watches is an entirely different
subject, and does make me wonder if the outlay was worth it in the first
place. Rubbish is rubbish whether it is in "ordinary television" or High
Definition.


"MGB" <buchwald@telusplanet.net> wrote in message
news:2UC1e.99886$ZO2.92111@edtnps84...
> Hi,
>
> This seems like best place to get an opinion on the Sony KF50WE620 (50
> inch
> LCD back projection). Maybe it's just my eyes, but I like the image much
> better than the DLP units, or any other LCD for that matter. Seems to
> have
> the options I'm looking for too.
>
> Any reasons not to buy it?
>
> Thanks in advance for you constructive opinions.
>
>
March 29, 2005 11:57:20 PM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

"Geoff" <engconn@comcast.net> wrote in message
news:2bGdnftW9obpCNTfRVn-rg@comcast.com...
> I am a total ignoramus when it comes to all things electronic and have
> difficulty in comprehending the posts in this news group, where half the
> written "words" are in the form of capital letters such as OTA, NTSC, DLP,
> CRT, LCD, etc., etc. most of which I do not understand, nor do I
> particularly wish to. I have always coped perfectly well with the normal
> expanded words of the English (not the American dialect) language, & I am
> just an ordinary bloke who occasionally wants to watch a TV show.
>
> 18 years ago I bought a 19" Sony TV which served us without any trouble
> whatsoever for 18 years. 18 months ago, Comcast cable announced with
great
> fanfare that they were now transmitting in High Definition. Being totally
> naive and ignorant, my wife and I decided the time had come to upgrade
from
> our trusty 19" set to this marvellous new system which we had heard all
> about from our European and Japanese friends.
>
> We went to Circuit City and after looking at everything on display,
decided
> on a Sony Grand Wega 42" High Definition Monitor. We have not regretted
the
> decision one iota. The quality of the picture is outstanding in High
> Definition, and perfectly satisfactory on other channels which are not.
>
> Where I made the mistake was in assuming that all the channels which we
had
> hitherto been watching in "regular" types of transmission were to be shown
> in High Definition. They are not. There are only a handful of channels
> which are in High Definition, and those seem to be repeating the same film
> over and over again, mostly on INHD and INHD2 channels. I then bought a
> Samsung tuner and, with the aid of a rotating aerial, was able to pick up
a
> few more High Definition broadcasts by radio waves. This extended out
> viewing pleasure somewhat.
>
> It seems to me that High Definition is in an experimental mode here in the
> United States of America. It appears to me so many companies have
different
> ideas as to how to transmit what, that there is surely a call for some
sort
> of standardisation before the whole thing can settle down.
>
> In the meantime, we enjoy what we can see, and would unreservedly
recommend
> the Sony Grand Wega as delivering the goods for a person who merely wants
to
> watch television and not get into all the esoteric ins and outs of 480i or
p
> or 1080 or whatever the current techno speak is babbling about.
>
> Of course, the quality of the shows one watches is an entirely different
> subject, and does make me wonder if the outlay was worth it in the first
> place. Rubbish is rubbish whether it is in "ordinary television" or High
> Definition.
>
>
> "MGB" <buchwald@telusplanet.net> wrote in message
> news:2UC1e.99886$ZO2.92111@edtnps84...
> > Hi,
> >
> > This seems like best place to get an opinion on the Sony KF50WE620 (50
> > inch
> > LCD back projection). Maybe it's just my eyes, but I like the image
much
> > better than the DLP units, or any other LCD for that matter. Seems to
> > have
> > the options I'm looking for too.
> >
> > Any reasons not to buy it?
> >
> > Thanks in advance for you constructive opinions.
> >

IMHO, the LCD is WB than DLP or LCOS although LCOS is ++ if u know what I
mean as 4 1080i it is no 720p but really gr8.
BTW, got to buy ASAP the LCD not the DLP.
just my $0.02.....ok u know eh ?
March 30, 2005 1:23:42 AM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

Tecumseh wrote:
> "MGB" <buchwald@telusplanet.net> wrote in message
> news:2UC1e.99886$ZO2.92111@edtnps84...
>
>>Hi,
>>
>>This seems like best place to get an opinion on the Sony KF50WE620 (50
>
> inch
>
>>LCD back projection). Maybe it's just my eyes, but I like the image much
>>better than the DLP units, or any other LCD for that matter. Seems to
>
> have
>
>>the options I'm looking for too.
>>
>>Any reasons not to buy it?
>>
>>Thanks in advance for you constructive opinions.
>>
>>
>
>
> I am with you mostly.....have been focusing on the Samsung DLP's but
> everytime I compare the Sony with it, the Sony wins hands down. That was
> until last week when I saw a JVC HD-ILA. Now I am as confused as ever.
> Waiting is probably the best thing as most of the companies are coming out
> with newer models promising better piks.

The first time I saw the 50" Grand Wega (KDF-50WE655), I knew it was the
set for me. DLPs dazzle me with unwanted rainbows and CRTs are just too
bulky - and couldn't afford a plasma ;-)

Those ILAs look *really* bad to me, somehow. The picture seems sharp
and contrasty but, somehow, the picture doesn't "hang together", if you
know what I mean; it's almost as if I can see holes in it (same with the
DLPs, as well).

- John
March 30, 2005 1:40:37 AM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

"Tecumseh" <tecumsehcanada@rogers.com> wrote in message
news:58mdncJCvfD7ZdTfRVn-2Q@rogers.com...
>
>
> "Geoff" <engconn@comcast.net> wrote in message
> news:2bGdnftW9obpCNTfRVn-rg@comcast.com...
>> I am a total ignoramus when it comes to all things electronic and have
>> difficulty in comprehending the posts in this news group, where half the
>> written "words" are in the form of capital letters such as OTA, NTSC,
>> DLP,
>> CRT, LCD, etc., etc. most of which I do not understand, nor do I
>> particularly wish to. >>>>SNIP>>>>

>
> IMHO, the LCD is WB than DLP or LCOS although LCOS is ++ if u know what I
> mean as 4 1080i it is no 720p but really gr8.
> BTW, got to buy ASAP the LCD not the DLP.
> just my $0.02.....ok u know eh ?
>

HUH?
>
Anonymous
March 30, 2005 5:05:35 AM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

Where in the United States are you? When we got our HDTV (Sony KDF-60XS955)
last fall, I was surprised by how MUCH HD was available to watch. We have
the channels on Time-Warner's "HD tier" (INHD etc.) plus HBOHD, plus much of
the prime programming on the 4 big networks + much weekend sports, including
almost all pro and big college football. Not too shabby for this point in
the changeover.

We went through (1) an HDTV digital cable box + OTA (over the air, btw) (by
the way, btw) :-), then (2) a CableCard and have recently ditched the
CableCard (Time Warner beat us down with spotty frequent CC service
problems) and gone to a (3) TW SA8300 HD-DVR cable box. Records 2 HD shows
at a time and shows them back looking like the original, or damn close.
Plus we can watch OTA at the same time, if necessary. (Only occasionally on
Sunday nights.) At this point, the HD-DVR is by far the best, although I
could suggest some Tivoesque improvements in the DVR's software design. But
that's in another post.

Finally, I disagree that "Rubbish is rubbish whether it is in "ordinary
television" or High Definition." A great HD picture makes at least
borderline rubbish quite watchable. But, obviously, this is not a good
thing. The better for the corporations to addict us to prescription drugs,
high-sugar cereals and alcohol, I suppose. (Thank god for the MUTE button
on the remote and FAST FORWARD on the DVR!)

mack
austin


"Geoff" <engconn@comcast.net> wrote in message
news:2bGdnftW9obpCNTfRVn-rg@comcast.com...
>I am a total ignoramus when it comes to all things electronic and have
>difficulty in comprehending the posts in this news group, where half the
>written "words" are in the form of capital letters such as OTA, NTSC, DLP,
>CRT, LCD, etc., etc. most of which I do not understand, nor do I
>particularly wish to. I have always coped perfectly well with the normal
>expanded words of the English (not the American dialect) language, & I am
>just an ordinary bloke who occasionally wants to watch a TV show.
>
> 18 years ago I bought a 19" Sony TV which served us without any trouble
> whatsoever for 18 years. 18 months ago, Comcast cable announced with
> great fanfare that they were now transmitting in High Definition. Being
> totally naive and ignorant, my wife and I decided the time had come to
> upgrade from our trusty 19" set to this marvellous new system which we had
> heard all about from our European and Japanese friends.
>
> We went to Circuit City and after looking at everything on display,
> decided on a Sony Grand Wega 42" High Definition Monitor. We have not
> regretted the decision one iota. The quality of the picture is
> outstanding in High Definition, and perfectly satisfactory on other
> channels which are not.
>
> Where I made the mistake was in assuming that all the channels which we
> had hitherto been watching in "regular" types of transmission were to be
> shown in High Definition. They are not. There are only a handful of
> channels which are in High Definition, and those seem to be repeating the
> same film over and over again, mostly on INHD and INHD2 channels. I then
> bought a Samsung tuner and, with the aid of a rotating aerial, was able to
> pick up a few more High Definition broadcasts by radio waves. This
> extended out viewing pleasure somewhat.
>
> It seems to me that High Definition is in an experimental mode here in the
> United States of America. It appears to me so many companies have
> different ideas as to how to transmit what, that there is surely a call
> for some sort of standardisation before the whole thing can settle down.
>
> In the meantime, we enjoy what we can see, and would unreservedly
> recommend the Sony Grand Wega as delivering the goods for a person who
> merely wants to watch television and not get into all the esoteric ins and
> outs of 480i or p or 1080 or whatever the current techno speak is babbling
> about.
>
> Of course, the quality of the shows one watches is an entirely different
> subject, and does make me wonder if the outlay was worth it in the first
> place. Rubbish is rubbish whether it is in "ordinary television" or High
> Definition.
>
>
> "MGB" <buchwald@telusplanet.net> wrote in message
> news:2UC1e.99886$ZO2.92111@edtnps84...
>> Hi,
>>
>> This seems like best place to get an opinion on the Sony KF50WE620 (50
>> inch
>> LCD back projection). Maybe it's just my eyes, but I like the image much
>> better than the DLP units, or any other LCD for that matter. Seems to
>> have
>> the options I'm looking for too.
>>
>> Any reasons not to buy it?
>>
>> Thanks in advance for you constructive opinions.
>>
>>
>
>
Anonymous
March 30, 2005 9:38:33 PM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

I had the same reaction when I attempted to read that post ... <G>

--
"Sleep is a poor substitute for coffee."
- Anon

"Geoff" <engconn@comcast.net> wrote in message
news:frqdnVFqI7U1jNffRVn-1A@comcast.com...
>
> "Tecumseh" <tecumsehcanada@rogers.com> wrote in message
> news:58mdncJCvfD7ZdTfRVn-2Q@rogers.com...
>>
>> "Geoff" <engconn@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> news:2bGdnftW9obpCNTfRVn-rg@comcast.com...

>> IMHO, the LCD is WB than DLP or LCOS although LCOS is ++ if u know what I
>> mean as 4 1080i it is no 720p but really gr8.
>> BTW, got to buy ASAP the LCD not the DLP.
>> just my $0.02.....ok u know eh ?
>>

>
> HUH?
>
>
>
Anonymous
March 31, 2005 6:04:20 PM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

That post from "Geoff" was a joke, based on the original poster saying that
he was confused by the acronyms people used on the newsgroup.

mack
austin


"MrMike6by9" <MrMike6by9@tepidmail.com> wrote in message
news:sPudneUHqJ__t9bfRVn-uA@comcast.com...
>I had the same reaction when I attempted to read that post ... <G>
>
> --
> "Sleep is a poor substitute for coffee."
> - Anon
>
> "Geoff" <engconn@comcast.net> wrote in message
> news:frqdnVFqI7U1jNffRVn-1A@comcast.com...
>>
>> "Tecumseh" <tecumsehcanada@rogers.com> wrote in message
>> news:58mdncJCvfD7ZdTfRVn-2Q@rogers.com...
>>>
>>> "Geoff" <engconn@comcast.net> wrote in message
>>> news:2bGdnftW9obpCNTfRVn-rg@comcast.com...
>
>>> IMHO, the LCD is WB than DLP or LCOS although LCOS is ++ if u know what
>>> I
>>> mean as 4 1080i it is no 720p but really gr8.
>>> BTW, got to buy ASAP the LCD not the DLP.
>>> just my $0.02.....ok u know eh ?
>>>
>
>>
>> HUH?
>>
>>
>>
>
>
April 1, 2005 4:38:36 PM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

--


"Mack McKinnon" <MckinnonRemoveThis@tvadmanDeleteThisAsWell.com> wrote in
message news:ErT2e.12572$1H3.11939@tornado.texas.rr.com...
> That post from "Geoff" was a joke, based on the original poster saying
that
> he was confused by the acronyms people used on the newsgroup.

Actually you have it more confusing .... the post was from me (Tecumseh)
just joking around being the classroom clown.
Sorry guys
Take care
Tec

>
!