Sign in with
Your question

core temp shutdown problem e4300

Last response: in CPUs
August 13, 2007 11:53:11 PM

hey, if anyone can help out, thank you in advance.

the problem i have is i installed my new components- gigabyte 965p-ds3, e4300, 2gb corsair xms 667. anyway, i am using arctic silver 5 with the stock cooler, but it was running pretty hot. about 45-50c idle, and upwards of 65-70c on load (stress tests).

but the main problem is that when i run core temp my computer almost always reboots. i know its not my power supply because i tried a different one and got the same results. the power supply i am using is the antec neo power 500. if i run a program and then run core temp, the computer just instantly reboots itself.

when i was installing the motherboard, i cut my hand, and a bit of blood got on the motherboard, but it still seemed to work fine- i installed windows and things like that. so i dont think that effected it.

has anyone else had this problem of rebooting on the ds3 motherboard with any core 2 duo chip? or having problems with higher than normal temperatures?
a c 455 à CPUs
August 13, 2007 11:58:43 PM

I'm guessing you did not install the heatsink properly.

I had a similar issue with my E6600 when I first installed it. Apparently, the Scythe Ninja was not attached properly. After carefully installing the Ninja my temps dropped to a normal range.
August 14, 2007 12:04:17 AM

i installed the heatsink properly. ive reseated it 3 times, reapplying the arctic silver and cleaning it each time. you cant really mess up putting the heatsink on, it just clips on.

i believe it is something due to the CPU or the motherboard. or it may be something else
Related resources
a c 455 à CPUs
August 14, 2007 12:18:52 AM

You're not overclocking are you?
August 14, 2007 12:49:51 AM

not now, because of the temps. before,i had it up to 2.4 with no voltage increase. that didnt bring the temps up too much maybe about 5c difference if i can remember. i am going to wait a few days for AC5 to burn in because that is supposed to lower temps 2-5c.

i did some checking on core temp and it seems it is common for core temp to crash the computer and cause restarts. so if i ignore that problem, i just need to keep the temps under control. there was a review on a hardware site that had their core 2 idling at 41c at stock. right now im at about 48. so if it drops to about 44 or 45 after the AS works in, thats only a couple degrees above. i would attribute that to it being about 80 or so degrees in my room.
a c 455 à CPUs
August 14, 2007 12:55:19 AM

What is the temperature of the room?

Have you considered an aftermarket heatsink fan?
August 14, 2007 1:41:21 AM

i dont know the temperature exactly. between 70 and 80 fahrenheit. i dont want to invest in an aftermarket cooler, thought i might have to. this was supposed to be a budget build.
August 14, 2007 1:44:42 AM

Hrmmm thats rly odd.
If u got a mate who is good with PC's... a fresh pair of eyes MAY pick up something u missed.

As for blood of ur board, its hard to tell.
I had a water leak while my sys was on. Coolant was running down my board over my gfx card and thru the empty pci slots.

AHAHHAA

Didnt kill it tho
August 14, 2007 2:01:55 AM

The problem is that you are using coretemp! And probably the latest version. Use the older .94 version or whatever it is, I believe it will read correct for B2 stepping, or use SpeedFan. I also dont like TAT for general load temp testing because its "load" is severely too high and thus its "load temps" are 10-15c higher then you will EVER be able to create in "real world" computing.

I see alot of people using coretemp and/or TAT (for loads) on E4300 and thier is an inherent problem with this combination. Coretemp and TAT use a Tj max temp of 100C on B2 stepping Allendales and Conroes (E4300 and earlier E6XXX) in thier calculations instead of the proper 85C. Therefore the temp readouts are 15C too high. That coupled with the overly inflated loads placed on cores by TAT and you get a double whammy on your load temps making people think they have a problem where none exists. Use Speedfan and orthos for your E4300. If your really partial to coretemp version .95 just subtrack about 15C for your temp and thats probably a more accurate reflection of your junction temps.

And from what you said about your temps, minus 15C would put you just about right for stock cooling. Roughly 30C idle and around 60C under load. What are you using for your load?

If you dont believe me, then block off your HS and let the CPU heat up until it throttles back down, using TAT. Note that it will throttle at 97-100C instead of the 83-85C that its supposed to throttle at. I did that to mine just to prove it to myself. And as usual, I was right. Use Orthos "blend" for a "realistic" load temp. TAT gives loads that are severely unnaturally high so I dont use it.
August 14, 2007 7:12:53 AM

scrapper- i have speedfan also. temp1 = 44c, temp2= 21c, core0= 31c, core 1= 34c. this is all at idle, just my web browser open. on the TAT program, it reads 48 and 50c.

so you're saying i should minus 15c from programs like core temp and TAT, which would roughly equal the temps i am getting from speed fan for core 0 and core 1. or were you just saying for the T junction one?
my friend just build his system and his core 2 e6420 always says 85c for tjunction, my e4300 always says 100c. i think that is normal.

* okay i just downloaded core temp .94. i was using .95 before. now my temps are 31 and 33c idle. thats pretty good for stock cooling. when i run orthos by johnny lee temps go to 42-46c for both cores on the blend test. speed fan is giving me the same temps also for cores 0 and 1.

thank you! is there anything else i should be checking?
August 14, 2007 5:06:15 PM

chocobocorey said:
scrapper- i have speedfan also. temp1 = 44c, temp2= 21c, core0= 31c, core 1= 34c. this is all at idle, just my web browser open. on the TAT program, it reads 48 and 50c.

Yes as I said, TAT will give temps a good 15C high on E4300 and possibly on ALL B@ stepping.

chocobocorey said:
so you're saying i should minus 15c from programs like core temp and TAT, which would roughly equal the temps i am getting from speed fan for core 0 and core 1. or were you just saying for the T junction one? my friend just build his system and his core 2 e6420 always says 85c for tjunction, my e4300 always says 100c. i think that is normal.

1st. Yes, minus 15C. 2nd. His E6420 is probably, almost certainly, not a B2 stepping hence the 85C and correct temps for him using just about ANY program.

chocobocorey said:
* okay i just downloaded core temp .94. i was using .95 before. now my temps are 31 and 33c idle. thats pretty good for stock cooling. when i run orthos by johnny lee temps go to 42-46c for both cores on the blend test. speed fan is giving me the same temps also for cores 0 and 1.

thank you! is there anything else i should be checking?

I think your good now but keep something in mind for future reference. There is no way to directly access the thermal diodes on the C2D via software for direct temperature readouts. The chips just dont have the capability. What the software is doing is taking a couple "ASSUMED" variables, like the 85C or 100C for Tjunction max, and doing some calculations. Then they simply output based on these assummed values. So the temp is actually a best guess, a good "reference point" and its probably close enough. The point is is that these temp readouts are not absolutes, but they are consistant just just take the number you see as a baseline and if your temps ever start to vary widely from this baseline temp then its time to investigate.

If you use orthos CPU stress test, and your temp stays under 50C... YOUR GOLDEN!!! if your temps is in the mid-50's your getting a little warm but nothing to get concerned about. Once you start pushing 60's and above you probably should thing about doing something. Your not really "critical" per se until your pushing the 70C mark but I recommend never being at or over 60C for any reason. If you cant keep it under 60 consider a bigger/better HS or just lap your CPU and HS. When I first started running over 3.0Ghz my temps were close to 60C with this ninja. And the ninja is HUGE!!!! I lapped both the CPU and the ninja and it dropped my load temps from about 57-58C to a max load temp of 48C. Using TAT pushes me back up to around 60C again but thats just soo much overkill. I stay under 50C in ANY situation. In gaming, HL2 DM, S.T.A.L.K.E.R., Insurgency Source, FEAR, FARCRY, I generally run about 42-45C.

I also have excellent case ventilation. I have 4 - 120mm fans. 2 exhaust, 1 front and one window intake. I also have a 80MM blowhole fan that I will soon cut out for a 120mm. And my X1950XT vents outside the back of the case which is a major help in sure. Not to brag, but I run my ninja passively now and my temps are the same do to some ghetto modding. Check this out.. hehe http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/243797-29-ghetto-pass...
August 14, 2007 5:38:18 PM

I have basically the same setup as you. You should try lowering vcore to 1.200v. It might go lower, so just lower it one notch at a time until it crashes or won't boot windows. You'll have to raise it if you overclock. I can do 2.8 at stock voltage, 1.125v at 1.8, but it will vary by cpu.
August 14, 2007 5:41:51 PM

Just a few corrections.
His E6420 is definately a B2 Stepping.

The E4300 is not a B* stepping but an L2 Stepping.

Both of those chips have only shipped with a single stepping.
The following chart shows all of the steppings for all of the C2D chips.

If a CPU has shipped with multiple steppings such as the E6400 which has shipped as both B2 and L2, it will be listed twice.

http://processorfinder.intel.com/List.aspx?ProcFam=2558... ;OrdCode=

Most of everything else you have read jives with what I have heard, but can't comment authoratatively so I will not.
August 14, 2007 7:07:16 PM

i OCed it to 3.02 GHz (336x9). thats as high as i want to on stock cooling, as the temps can get to about 68c on orthos load. the voltage is 1.4 something. the small notch before 1.425.

so i enabled EIST and those things in the bios and speedstep in windows. (go to power options and switch mode to minimal power management). so now when im in windows i drop to a 6x multi and about 1.05v (cpu-z is always off a bit). windows temps are between 32 and 34c
August 15, 2007 5:43:10 AM

zenmaster said:
Just a few corrections.
His E6420 is definately a B2 Stepping.

The E4300 is not a B* stepping but an L2 Stepping.

OMG thank you for catching my brainfart. Sorry about that. I have been talking about later CPU soo much I totally botched that one. L2 stepping is what all E4300's and the earlier E6XXX's are. But I think he got the point regardless.
!