Internet explorer error on home built system

pduffy

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2007
Hi,
I have2 system, one purchased and one home built. They more or less have the same specs and both are running windows xp media centre edition 2005 OS.
The pre assembled system boots up a lot faster so how can I change or make the boot sequence better on the homebuilt?

Also I downloaded IE 7 on to both and on the pre-assembled it runs fine but on the homebuilt it gives an error everytime you click on the drop down menu at the side of the address bar, and shuts IE down. Has anyone any tips to fix this or wht could be causing it??

Thanks

bberson

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006
Define more or less. You can try defragging the hard drive on the slower system, but more likely it just happens to have a faster hard drive. Or perhaps it's simply a better-engineered system, as pre-assembled boxes often are.
One possibility is some toolbar or other nasty you installed, or a problem with a driver for some piece of hardware you installed. HP all-in-one's are notorious for this kind of crap.

-Brad

TSIMonster

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2006
Have you already tried reinstalling IE7? There could have been an error in the install. How did you install it? Through Windows update?

Personally, I would just use Firefox or Opera, but thats just me.

rabidbunny

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2006
The only thing I can think of is maybe malware, viruses, or non-updated drivers.
Other than that, I have not seen this situation before. Sorry i couldn't be more of help right now...

T.

baddad

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2006
I have two machine's I just rebuilt using the same mother board in each with a fresh reload of the OP system and neither will run IE7 but run IE just fine. I don't normally use IE but others in the house hold do, I use Firefox.