Satan possessed my new SH-S203B burner

swotavator

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2007
Please help!!
My computer, stats below, has been working like a champ for 4 years. I just got a spanking new sh-s203B combo DVD/CD burner from new egg. To my dismay it was SATA though my moboard is IDE only (A7N8X, asus). SO i got a ide to sata converter. I hook up the new burner, and leave my old CD drive in place, and when I load up, NEITHER of them are recognized. I have tried all types of combinations (alone, combined, one master, one slave, vice versa, every jumper setting). Truth remains, whenever I have the drives hooked up together, or the new one alone, they arent recognized by my computer. By this I mean it doesn't show up on boot, and in windows explorer, no optical drives appear. Looked in device manager and saw no conflicts. So weird. How could my one drive show up fine, nand then I add the new drive to the same cable in the slave position and they both dont get recognized? Please help- I could use any ideas you have. or hints, or tell me if i have a brick. I can deal with that.
THANKS

a7n8x
athlon 2800xp +
1 GB pc2700
windows xp pro

caradepau

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2007
Try to flash you mobo's bios. Chances are it's too old to see this much newer drive. I have that mobo, asus provides a windows flash utility to udated the bios while in windows. No need for FLOPPY..unlike EVGA and their abacus method of adding..

Well you have a few options here.

1) Try updating your mobos BIOS.
2) Buy the IDE version, S202G, (even though it has more issues than the SATA...it was designed for SATA)
3) buy an external enclosure for the S203B

Sorry to hear about your bad luck, it really is a kick ass drive.