Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Updating new drives and disabling integrated graphics

Last response: in Applications
March 19, 2012 12:18:02 AM

Hello, I will have to deal with a couple of software issues soon and im unsure of how to handle them.

First off Im placing an aftermarket gpu on amb that already has an integrated gpu on it. I know that I have to disable the onboard gpu but how do I go about it? Is it simply done via bios?

Secondly, im building a pc from scratch but im recycling the harddisk because I dont see the point in buying a new one given that im ditching my old pc and the old harddrive will go unused. Anyways, the old disk contains info. regarding the old motherboard as well as the integrated graphics on it. How do I go about it? Do i need to remove the old mb/gpu drive files or can I get by with simply sticking the old disk on the new desk?

I suppose that Im also going to be needing to install/ update a lot of drivers. Would it be okay to go ahead and install the drivers that come on the cd ( until I can get my hands on the latest drivers) or should I go straight ahead and download the lastest drives from the site?

I did most of the wiring today and I should be recieving the cpu, gpu and ram tomorrow. I suppose that it is okay to have messy cabling atm but once I get going I should have some sort of organization. Im having trouble separating the cables mainly because the psu cables are very tough and arent very flexible. I tried to separate cables as much as I could today but I always ended up grouping the psu cables with the fans/ other small wires.

Also would there be any problems if I was to saturate the 4 pin power cables with the fan cables? I have 7 fans and I was barely able to find a plug for all of them.

Sorry about mixing up the questions in a single thread. I dont want to have threads or all over.

Any help will be appreciated,

Thanks in advance.

Best solution

a b \ Driver
March 19, 2012 11:18:19 AM

1. The onboard GPU can be disabled in the bios.

2. If the old drive is IDE you may want to replace it with a SATA drive, unless the new motherboard has an IDE connection. You can simply move the drive to the new system. During the install of your OS, you will be given a chance to partition the drive. Delete all partitions and create a new one for the OS. Be sure to back up any data before this step.

3. You can use the drivers on the motherboard CD, but I always like to download the newest ones before hand.

4. Cabling is usually easiest during the build instead of afterwards, especially if you have cables you need to run behind the motherboard.

5. Seven fans is ok as long as you don't exceed the maximum rating of the PSU.
March 19, 2012 9:54:30 PM

Oh, yeah, I do not plan on dealing with the cable organization until once the syste is running. I will do that once I have everything plugged in but before I start it up.

Also, I was hoping in not having to reset the old disk. I just dont want to lose that information and I dont want to buy a new one lol. Would that be a problem?

Im using this psu SeaSonic M12II 620 Bronze 620W. How do I know if it can handle the 7 fans?
Score
Related resources
March 19, 2012 9:54:39 PM

Best answer selected by xtremeclowny.
Score
a b \ Driver
March 20, 2012 10:50:29 PM

This topic has been closed by Area51reopened
Score
!