Next generations champ?

I think it is safe to say intel is running the processor market. I remember when i built my first PC it was AMD all the way, they were dominating intel in the processor market. So what do we have to look forward to for the next generation of processors? Is it possible AMD can reclaim the throne? What exactly are we looking at past intels current quad cores? It seems to me that intells quads arent even close to the full potential of a true quad core.
21 answers Last reply
More about next generations champ
  1. zompton said:
    It seems to me that intells quads arent even close to the full potential of a true quad core.

What has led you to that conclusion?
  2. Is this a troll-thread? Invitation to a flame-fest? Sorry, I miss the point.
  3. I don't think the future will have a "champ" and #2.
    The AMD "star" core should do more work per clock and have some other advantages. The Yorkfield should be faster just by running faster. (At least until Nehalem)
    Basically, Intel will make updates more quickly while AMD will make more major changes less often.
    AMD will work more closely with vendors and customers while Intel tries to be the best chip maker.
    Again, they won't try to fight each other. Just like Ford doesn't compete with Ferrari.
  4. The "true quad core" thing may help AMD is some ways.. like multitasking or multiple processors working together, but most things use just a single core to work anyway.
  5. Quote:
    Is this a troll-thread? Invitation to a flame-fest? Sorry, I miss the point.

I'm missing the point too.

Reads like a troll. Smells like a troll. Must be a troll! :pt1cable:
  6. zompton said:
    I think it is safe to say intel is running the processor market. I remember when i built my first PC it was AMD all the way, they were dominating intel in the processor market. So what do we have to look forward to for the next generation of processors? Is it possible AMD can reclaim the throne? What exactly are we looking at past intels current quad cores? It seems to me that intells quads arent even close to the full potential of a true quad core.

I think it's safe to say you know nothing about the industry, and your thoughts on AMD are nothing more than wishful thinking.
  7. If you only read this MB, you might think Intel rules the roost. Everyone on here has bought/is buying/or is considering an Intel C2Q 6600 or at least a Core2Duo... and why not? Fast and cheap.

But, this board should not be considered a sample of the current processor market. The people on these boards only constitute a small percentage of the processor market... more specifically, the high end.

The bulk of processors being sold are not C2D's and C2Q's.
  8. enewmen said:
    I don't think the future will have a "champ" and #2.
    The AMD "star" core should do more work per clock and have some other advantages. The Yorkfield should be faster just by running faster. (At least until Nehalem)
    Basically, Intel will make updates more quickly while AMD will make more major changes less often.
    AMD will work more closely with vendors and customers while Intel tries to be the best chip maker.
    Again, they won't try to fight each other. Just like Ford doesn't compete with Ferrari.

Au contrare' mon ami.

Ford does compete with Ferrari.
    Ford tried to buy Ferrari in the sixties. Ford thought the deal close to closed until Enzo Ferrari started making ludicrous last minute demands, then backed out of the deal all together (supposedly he never intended to sell out but toyed with Ford for his own reasons). Ford, which had intended to use Ferrari to compete internationally, was POed enough that they then chose to go the hard route and work a FIA car on their own. Ford took englisman Eric Broadlys Lola Gt and used it as the basis for the now famous GT 40s...the only american car to ever win an FIA international championship. The carrs initially didnt fair so well, so Carrol Shelby, who was was already racing against Ferrari (and in fact atually raced for Ferrari in his youth) with his cobras and Daytona coupes and was brought in to help. The rest, is history.

As for how for currently competes with Ferrari well, theres the recent Ford GT, the modernized reincarnation of the GT 40, then there are/were fords PAG subsidiaries....Jaguar, Aston Marton(sold off by ford earlier this year), through both of which ford competes against Ferrari as well as the other high end/exotic auto manfacturers on the international circuits.

Try another analogy.....maybe Yugo vs Ferrari
  9. wow your a real ford fan arnt you, thats cool they need ppl like you right now;

surely the Ford Gt compete with the lower end ferraris maybe wrong?
  10. zompton said:
    Wow. I didn't thi... No I'm not going to.
  11. Fan of american "get up off our lazy behinds and get the job done" America can do some interesting stuff, when its motivated. I dont look at the GT 40 as a success for Fford, but as a success for america in a European dominated sport.
    As for the GT, depends what direction ford goes. Its a 200+mph car that handles well right now, even by European standards, but Ford has a prototype 700HP open cockpit variant they are toying with thats even better, then there is an aftermarket twin turbo 800 HP version they've been looking at.

So they can sit on their behinds, or push the car further. Whether or not they push a varient into GTP open class, I dont know. Prolly not since they're pretty content in the lower classes.
  12. We will know who the future champ is......in the future.

I'm a friggin prophet.
  13. What has this thread shown?

The next generation's champ is...

...FORD!
  14. I didnt mean to make that sound like a "troll" post, and yes i am fairly uneducated about PC componants, i was just wondering what the furture holds.
  15. The CPU performance lead goes back and forth between Intel and AMD. As of now with the exception of a few engineers at AMD no one knows what the future holds. I like most people hope for a quality product that will push Intel and Nvidia to keep innovating and keep prices down. The race in the future which is already starting will most likely be how many cores can we fit on a die. It should be a much more interesting fall and winter than last and hopefully AMD can come back swinging.
  16. If you guys keep this up, I'm gonna blow a load, and fall asleep. Do you really want that?
  17. turpit said:
    Fan of american "get up off our lazy behinds and get the job done" America can do some interesting stuff, when its motivated. I dont look at the GT 40 as a success for Fford, but as a success for america in a European dominated sport.
    As for the GT, depends what direction ford goes. Its a 200+mph car that handles well right now, even by European standards, but Ford has a prototype 700HP open cockpit variant they are toying with thats even better, then there is an aftermarket twin turbo 800 HP version they've been looking at.

So they can sit on their behinds, or push the car further. Whether or not they push a varient into GTP open class, I dont know. Prolly not since they're pretty content in the lower classes.

My favourite snippet about the GT 40 is that as well being one of the sexiest looking cars ever made that went as well as it looked, but for me one of the best facts is that it was built in Slough!

http://www.gt40.co.uk/gt40st16.html
  18. Let's dissect your post (funny, I hate it when people do this, now I'm a hypocrite :D)

zompton said:
    I think it is safe to say intel is running the processor market.

Pretty much always have except in the server arena, more money to advertise (how many intel ads do you see vs AMD ads?).

zompton said:
    I remember when i built my first PC it was AMD all the way, they were dominating intel in the processor market.

Only in the server arena, almost all OEMs filled their PCs with pentiums and celerons, now C2Ds too. AMD has begun to seep into this area with their turion X2s, particularly in laptops. This is what I have seen in Australia anyway.

zompton said:
    So what do we have to look forward to for the next generation of processors?

Dunno, don't really care. I got no money for it anyway.

zompton said:
    Is it possible AMD can reclaim the throne?

Yes, as always, it is possible. But only really in the enthusiast and server market (see first reply).

zompton said:
    What exactly are we looking at past intels current quad cores?

Don't really understand that sentence.

EDIT: I get it now lol. 8/16+ cores maybe?

zompton said:
    It seems to me that intells quads arent even close to the full potential of a true quad core.

Maybe, I wouldn't know. I don't care much for quads, I'm still running a single core.
  19. @ randomizer Is it true that kangaroos do not fart?

As for the future I want cold fusion, holographic game rooms and faster than light travel.
  20. No idea, but they certainly don't post mail, nor do they live in cities (although in some outer suburbs they do).
  21. :lol: I just thought I'd ask as I heard it on Q.I the other night and I was hoping someone in Oz would be able to confirm it. :lol:
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Processors Intel