Event ID: 2004
Date: 7/4/2005
Time: 2:47:18 AM
User: N/A
Computer: N/A
Unable to open the Server service. Server performance data will not be
returned. Error code returned is in data DWORD 0.

Data:
0000: 34 00 00 c0 4..À

On the help support link (shown above). Says that there was no info about
it. My Computer is not net worked. I have Windows XP Pro with SP2. Any help
would be Great!
6 answers Last reply
More about perfnet lockups error 2004

    King wrote:
    > I get this Event Type: Error
    > Event Source: PerfNet
    > Event Category: None
    > Event ID: 2004
    > Date: 7/4/2005
    > Time: 2:47:18 AM
    > User: N/A
    > Computer: N/A
    > Unable to open the Server service. Server performance data will not be
    > returned. Error code returned is in data DWORD 0.

    > Data:
    > 0000: 34 00 00 c0 4..À
    >
    > On the help support link (shown above). Says that there was no info
    > about it. My Computer is not net worked. I have Windows XP Pro with
    > SP2. Any help would be Great!

    Click the following link or copy / paste the URL into your browsers address
    bar.

    Microsoft TechNet: Windows XP Professional Events & Errors Help:
    http://tinyurl.com/2enhf

    In the Source box, type perfnet and in the ID box, type 2004
    and click GO.

    This will give you a description of the problem and the fix.

    --

    Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP

    http://www.dts-l.org/

    ID: 2004 Source: Perfnet
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/support/ee/result.aspx?EvtSrc=Perfnet&EvtID=2004&ProdName=Windows+Operating+System&LCID=1033&ProdVer=5.0

    To start the Server service open Services...
    Start | Run | Type: services.msc | Click OK |
    Scroll down to and double click Server |
    Under Startup type, set to Automatic | Click Apply |
    Click the Start button to start Server | When Server is
    started close Services

    If Server is not listed in Services.

    This will restore the Server service (lanmanserver).

    Start | Run | Type: ncpa.cpl | OK |
    Right click Your Connection | Properties |General tab |
    Install button | Highlight: Service | Add button |
    Highlight: File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks | OK |
    Close

    Server
    [[Used for file and print sharing from your computer or Message Queuing. For
    security purposes, you may disable this service if you do not require local
    printers and files shared across your network. Connectivity, however, still
    exists even on incoming shared network drives. Workstation needs to be
    running to connect to another computer that has the files you are looking
    for. Note: If you disable File and Print sharing, the Server Service may
    disappear from the Services listing. Just enable File and Print sharing
    again and the Server Service will return.]]
    http://web.archive.org/web/20041011114425/www.blackviper.com/WIN2K/win2kservice411.htm

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:109AA237-0646-469C-98D7-1AD31C29B7E6@microsoft.com,
    King <King@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    > I get this Event Type: Error
    > Event Source: PerfNet
    > Event Category: None
    > Event ID: 2004
    > Date: 7/4/2005
    > Time: 2:47:18 AM
    > User: N/A
    > Computer: N/A
    > Unable to open the Server service. Server performance data will not be
    > returned. Error code returned is in data DWORD 0.

    > Data:
    > 0000: 34 00 00 c0 4..À
    >
    > On the help support link (shown above). Says that there was no info about
    > it. My Computer is not net worked. I have Windows XP Pro with SP2. Any
    > help would be Great!

    Thanks. Altho my computer is Stand alone (not networked). So Error site only
    gives me the net work stats and really nothing that I can use to fix the
    problem/

    Start the Server service.

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:01B4061F-B9D5-44B3-BE4D-4539BD47483C@microsoft.com,
    King <King@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    > Thanks. Altho my computer is Stand alone (not networked). So Error site
    > only gives me the net work stats and really nothing that I can use to fix
    > the problem/
    >
    > "Wesley Vogel" wrote:
    >
    >> ID: 2004 Source: Perfnet

    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/support/ee/result.aspx?EvtSrc=Perfnet&EvtID=2004&ProdName=Windows+Operating+System&LCID=1033&ProdVer=5.0

    >> To start the Server service open Services...
    >> Start | Run | Type: services.msc | Click OK |
    >> Scroll down to and double click Server |
    >> Under Startup type, set to Automatic | Click Apply |
    >> Click the Start button to start Server | When Server is
    >> started close Services
    >>
    >> If Server is not listed in Services.
    >>
    >> This will restore the Server service (lanmanserver).
    >>
    >> Start | Run | Type: ncpa.cpl | OK |
    >> Right click Your Connection | Properties |General tab |
    >> Install button | Highlight: Service | Add button |
    >> Highlight: File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks | OK |
    >> Close
    >>
    >> Server
    >> [[Used for file and print sharing from your computer or Message Queuing.
    >> For security purposes, you may disable this service if you do not
    >> require local printers and files shared across your network.
    >> Connectivity, however, still exists even on incoming shared network
    >> drives. Workstation needs to be running to connect to another computer
    >> that has the files you are looking for. Note: If you disable File and
    >> Print sharing, the Server Service may disappear from the Services
    >> listing. Just enable File and Print sharing again and the Server Service
    >> will return.]]

    http://web.archive.org/web/20041011114425/www.blackviper.com/WIN2K/win2kservice411.htm

    >> --
    >> Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >>
    >> Wes
    >> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >>
    >> In news:109AA237-0646-469C-98D7-1AD31C29B7E6@microsoft.com,
    >> King <King@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    >>> I get this Event Type: Error
    >>> Event Source: PerfNet
    >>> Event Category: None
    >>> Event ID: 2004
    >>> Date: 7/4/2005
    >>> Time: 2:47:18 AM
    >>> User: N/A
    >>> Computer: N/A
    >>> Unable to open the Server service. Server performance data will not be
    >>> returned. Error code returned is in data DWORD 0.
    >>>
    >>> For more information, see Help and Support Center at
    >>> http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
    >>> Data:
    >>> 0000: 34 00 00 c0 4..À
    >>>
    >>> On the help support link (shown above). Says that there was no info
    >>> about it. My Computer is not net worked. I have Windows XP Pro with
    >>> SP2. Any help would be Great!

    Thank you. I think that was the trick. I just needed to start the service.
    altho I did have to install it in network connections.

    Glad to hear it. Keep having fun.

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:9E19B025-576C-4278-9A0E-5CF62CFD7E90@microsoft.com,
    King <King@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    > Thank you. I think that was the trick. I just needed to start the service.
    > altho I did have to install it in network connections.
    >
    > "Wesley Vogel" wrote:
    >
    >> Start the Server service.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >>
    >> Wes
    >> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >>
    >> In news:01B4061F-B9D5-44B3-BE4D-4539BD47483C@microsoft.com,
    >> King <King@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    >>> Thanks. Altho my computer is Stand alone (not networked). So Error site
    >>> only gives me the net work stats and really nothing that I can use to
    >>> fix the problem/

    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/support/ee/result.aspx?EvtSrc=Perfnet&EvtID=2004&ProdName=Windows+Operating+System&LCID=1033&ProdVer=5.0

    http://web.archive.org/web/20041011114425/www.blackviper.com/WIN2K/win2kservice411.htm

Windows XP