Sign in with
Your question

Open shortcuts in full screen.

Last response: in Windows 7
August 17, 2011 10:41:08 PM

how do i keep my shortcuts to open up the screen at full size? they open in half screen. I've tried all the fixes in microsoft help. none work. I'm using windows 7 home premium.
a c 209 $ Windows 7
August 17, 2011 11:38:21 PM

Right-click the shortcut and select "Properties".

Click the "Shortcut" tab of the properties page.

In the lower portion of the page, set the "Run:" type to "Maximized".
m
l
August 25, 2011 4:43:43 AM

sminlal said:
Right-click the shortcut and select "Properties".

Click the "Shortcut" tab of the properties page.

In the lower portion of the page, set the "Run:" type to "Maximized".

Thanks. I've tried that before, but in windows 7 shortcut icons don't give you that option. There is no "shortcut" tab in properties. Programs will have that tab, but shortcuts won't. I've figured it out from another post. You open a shortcut, then open the same shortcut in another window. Close the first window, resize the second window with mouse to full screen, then hold "control" while exiting the resized window via the "file" then "exit". Next time you open any shortcut it will open in full screen. It works!!

Thanks again for responding.
m
l
Related resources
a c 209 $ Windows 7
August 25, 2011 2:44:01 PM

That's an interesting tip, but I'm a bit mystified when you say there's no "Shortcut" tab on the properties menu. There is for the shortcuts on my Windows 7 system.

What kind of shortcuts are you talking about? Are they on the desktop, or on the Start Menu, or pinned to the Taskbar?

If you're talking about shortcuts pinned to the Taskbar, what you have to do is to right-click the shortcut, then right-click the program name, then click "properties" to access the full property dialogue box.
m
l
August 25, 2011 3:04:08 PM

I'm speaking about shortcuts on the desktop. When I right click on one, then properties, I get these tabs-general, web document, security, details and previous version. Maybe I should mention that I have put these shortcuts there via right click. create shortcut, while viewing the site. ie wall street journal main page, right click, create shortcut on desktop.
thanks
m
l
a c 233 $ Windows 7
August 25, 2011 4:57:53 PM

It appears URL shortcuts are treated differently than program shortcuts.
m
l
August 25, 2011 5:14:45 PM

yes, that's what it seems like. But, you can still them (url shortcuts) to open full screen when you do as I suggested earlier.
m
l
a c 233 $ Windows 7
August 25, 2011 5:18:47 PM

Why not just have your browser open maximized then you won't have to mess with all the internet shortcuts?
m
l
August 25, 2011 5:21:20 PM

could you please explain what that means? I'm not real tech savy... I assumed my browser is open maximized.
m
l
a c 233 $ Windows 7
August 25, 2011 6:02:26 PM

Those 3 buttons in the uppermost right corner, from left to right, is minimize (to task bar), maximize (windowed full screen), and close. If you go into a program shortcut, you can tell it to open normal, minimised, or maximized.
m
l
August 25, 2011 6:22:11 PM

oh, ok new that. lol
thanks for sharing info.
m
l
a c 233 $ Windows 7
August 25, 2011 7:38:45 PM

mtp888 said:
oh, ok new that. lol
thanks for sharing info.

I'm glad of that. I was getting worried. :lol: 
m
l
a c 209 $ Windows 7
August 25, 2011 9:08:19 PM

Hawkeye22 said:
It appears URL shortcuts are treated differently than program shortcuts.
Ah, that's it. Thanks for passing that on.
m
l
!