Sign in with
Your question

Do you think my card is about to die?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 25, 2007 4:33:57 AM

Hi everyoone!

I have an XFX 7900GT card (the T71G UDE7 edition if anyone cares) factory clocked at 520MHz core (showing up as 516) and 750MHz memory (showing up as 747). Recently I started noticing a little bit of artifacting in Guild Wars. Also, I installed WOW and when I play it I get quite a bit of artifacts/after a while the screen goes blank and then shows and image again every 5 seconds (even if I quite the game) until I restart the computer.

I checked the temperature of the card (with the nTune meter that nVidia now provides) and it doesn't go about 62 when playing WOW.

Do you think that my card is dying on me or is this some software issue? (I have the latest driver from nVidias website for my OS, which is WinXP SP2 32bit).

Thanks a lot for any help!

More about : card die

a c 130 U Graphics card
August 25, 2007 8:55:24 AM

Cards dont die in a certain way but to me yes it does sound like its on its way out.
Check to see if the card is seated propperly and that any power leads are all still conected but yea it dosent sound good :( 
Mactronix
August 25, 2007 10:55:08 AM

check if it works at stock clocks, because overtime trasistors need a higher "drive" power to switch, so even factory overclocked models may not keep their overclock for ever.
Related resources
a c 272 U Graphics card
August 25, 2007 1:38:52 PM

I found the 162.18 driver to be terrible as it caused slowdowns and general loss of performance it was also very difficult to remove, the 94.24's however are working fine for me as I can live without Lost Planet which I thought was crap anyway.
August 25, 2007 2:03:42 PM

Sounds like you have more than a few problems there:

could be corrupted drivers:
1) Un-install all your video drivers , use driver cleaner to remove all traces of driver
2) check your cpu fan make sure its clean no dust behind the blades on heatsink fins
3) check fan on your video card if it has one, pullout video card reseat it.
4) check the capacitors on the video card and your motherboard look for puffing out tops
5) re-install your chipset drivers to newest versions

could be your cpu is over heating, best to check the temps while its running if its running hot try re greasing your fan and remount.

Also a bad power supply can cause this problem if it has bad caps it could be leaking ac.
August 25, 2007 2:14:47 PM

Thanks to all of you for the response!

rammedstein: It's actually not a factory overclocked card, I think it may be one of the lower clocked in fact.

mousemonkey: yeah, I hate the new drivers (especially the interface), I think I might go back to the 94s

techquy911: I am pretty sure its not my CPU. Before I started the computer up after being out of country for two months I dusted the inside with compressed air very thoroughly. The CPU (X2 4400+ overcloked to 2.4GHz) doesn't get hotter than 42 Celsius (my syustem stays at 45 max).

techguy and mactronix: yeah, I think I will try to do a complete "overhaul", maybe that will help!

Thanks a lot again!
August 25, 2007 3:26:56 PM

Well, I did all of the above and nothing helped. So, I decided to try and see if it really is the card by running another graphically much more intensive game: Oblivion. I had everyhting set on high at 1680*1050 (or whatever that widescreen resolution is) and it was running perfectly smooth inside and outside! No artifacts, no flickering, absolutely nothing. So, me is thinking that this is some other kind of problem, and I might have to contact Blizzard
a c 363 U Graphics card
a b Ý World of Warcraft
August 25, 2007 4:54:26 PM

friikazoid said:

rammedstein: It's actually not a factory overclocked card, I think it may be one of the lower clocked in fact.

It is an overclocked card. Based on nVidia's specifications, the core is supposed to run at 400MHz, not 520MHz:

http://www.nvidia.com/page/geforce_7900.html
August 25, 2007 5:10:49 PM

rammedstein said:
check if it works at stock clocks, because overtime trasistors need a higher "drive" power to switch, so even factory overclocked models may not keep their overclock for ever.

true dat...when i installed bioshock recently (great game :p  ) it told me to "update" to these new drivers.. all these drivers did was take away ALL of the software features, make games crash, and give me blue screens. 94.24 are the best out right now for the 7series IMO.
a c 363 U Graphics card
a b Ý World of Warcraft
August 25, 2007 5:18:25 PM

monst0r said:
Quote:

bro...those are the RAMDACs, not the core clocks
Quote:

Oops. I didn't look closely enough.

Anywaste, the stock core clock speed of the 7900GT is 450GHz.
August 26, 2007 11:26:59 PM

Well, I guess the card is overclocked then, never mind :) . Anyway, my problem is solved for now I think - I was messing around with the settings in WOW (since other games were just fine) and I realized I had V-Sync turned off. Usually I don't use it, but for some reason turning it on in WOW fixed the whole problem .. Again, thanks for all your help!
!