3x750GB SATA RAID5 vs Single 300GB SAS Questions!!

venturahighspeed

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2007
Hello, this is my first post on this website. Hopefully I can get some help regarding an issue I'm having with a client.

My company builds custom PCs. I have a customer who needs a high-end dual QuadCore PC. She will be using the system for graphic design, mainly Photoshop CS3 and other 2D graphic programs. The question comes down to hard drive. Should I install 3x750GB Western Digitals in a RAID5 or install a single Seagate 300GB SAS drive?

My instinct tells me that RAID5 is the way to go. Speed, backup, storage size, etc. And I am under the impression SCSI's main benefit is for server type applications such as frequent database read/writes, and should offer little benefit for standard Photoshop use. I can't see any benefits the SAS will offer for this customer. Any thoughts?

Thanks, much appreciated.

Ryan

pinaplex

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2007
Actually, as long as the datafiles such as the photos, etc are kept on a separate drive (an external drive) and that drive is backed up properly, you should be able to chose either option. Remember the RAID5 should NOT be used in place of a proper backup. Only to guard against hardware failure.

in the end, it might be more cost effective to go with the 3x750GB Raid5 array, and back up data onto a separate HDD.