1st time builder - Anything I could have done different?

paintballz

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2007
Hey all,
This is my first rig and I had a budget of $800. I should have asked you guys what you thought before I purchased and ordered and build my new system, but I was too anxious.

Anyway, here's what I came up with and was wondering how I did on my parts selection. Everything is up and running about 2 weeks now and no probs. I use my rig mostly for gaming via solo and lan, I also do some dvd ripping/burning and of course surfing the web.

How'd I do?

Case $69.99
Ultra X-Blaster Black ATX Mid-Tower Case with Clear Side
• Thermaltake 120mm Ball Bearing Case Fan $7.99
• Ultra Black/Titanium 120mm Ball Bearing Fan $9.99

Mobo $119.99
MSI K9N SLI Platinum Socket AM2 NVIDIA nForce 570 SLI MCP

CPU $65.99
AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ Windsor 2.0GHz Socket AM2 Processor

Video Cards $109.99 each
2x in SLI - XFX GeForce 7600GT 256MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16

PSU $49.97
Ultra / X-Finity / 600-Watt / ATX / Dual 80mm Fan / SATA-Ready / SLI Ready / Titanium

HD $69.99
WD Caviar 250GB SATA-3G HD 7200/16MB/SATA-3G

DVD $35.99
PHILIPS 20X DVD±R DVD Burner 2-Tone SATA

Memory $49.99 each
2x - G.SKILL 1GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)

Thanks for any input (positive or negative).

rabidbunny

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2006
It looks great to me. Sounds like you are quite pleased with it.
One thing that might've been a better choice is a single, more powerful card instead of the two GT's in sli. the 7600gt is a midrange card and imo I would buy a more powerful card with that money and then save up for a second one if I needed it.

MrCommunistGen

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2005
Its been said several times on the forums that going SLI on anything but the highest end cards is usually not the best use of money, especially when using a slower CPU. SLI requires CPU overhead, and the X2 3800+ has enough trouble feeding a single GPU. Although they aren't too bad I would try to find a better power supply other than an Ultra in the same price range. Also, if you could post all of your prices someone might be able to help optimize your bang/buck ratio.

-mcg

chookman

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2007
I would have dropped the SLI 7600GT for maybe an 8800gts or 8600... then you could have searched maybe for a more featured motherboard without SLI but other than that it looks good.

In anycase you are happy and all is running well (thats all that matters), Good Job

paintballz

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2007
Hey thanks for all the replies...

I added my cost for all the parts. I have a question about the single more powerful card as opposed to the 2 7600gt SLI configuration though. I found the 8800GTS at $300, but I couldn't find any cheaper than that. So what single card can give the same or more performance for only $220?

BTW even though I did already purchase my goods, I still find this feedback and criticism very helpful for future upgrades as well as builds.

thx

---- What single card can give the same or more performance for only $220? ----

It depends on game, resolution and settings. Here's an example. Play with the URLs (change resolution and game).

Battlefield, 1600x1200, 7600GT SLI gets 28.6 fps
http://www23.tomshardware.com/graphics_sli2007.html?modelx=33&model1=815&model2=804&chart=338

Same game, resolution, and settings, the $180 x1950xt gets 35.7 fps, while the $280 8800 GTS 320 MB gets 43.8 fps.
http://www23.tomshardware.com/graphics_2007.html?modelx=33&model1=724&model2=778&chart=278

paintballz

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2007

Speaking of PSUs, part of the reason that I did go with the 2 7600GTs is the fact that they don't require the PCI-E power connection and it is a much more energy efficient card than the 8800GTS which requires 26 Amps at 12 Volts, and from my research is normally only found on much higher priced PSUs. So if you include the fact that I would have needed a PSU which would have cost me another $100+ and the 1 8800GTS is $60-$80 more than both my 7600GTs, that would have put me very close to the $1000 mark. Unless there is some other way to get the cost back down to $800. Actually my cost was more like $750-760ish.

...any ideas?

emp

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2004
yeah but the 7600GT in SLI don't even come CLOSE to the power of a 8800GTS, aside from that, you should NEVER skimp on your PSU, it is the single most vital (And overlooked) part of your system. I can understand where you're coming from, but your reasoning was flawed due to lack of information.

SLI/Crossfire is only reserved for those systems that not even a 8800GTX/HD2900XT are enough, not for midrange cards, it is the same as 512MB memory midrange cards, just a marketing gimmick for the uninformed masses.

What could you have done differently? Dropped your case, mobo, graphics cards, and PSU. Then get an AM2 cheap Gigabyte mobo for $60, get the centurion 5 case for $50, get the 8800GTS for $280, and an Antec NeoHE 500 for $90. Like that you would've gotten maybe 170% the performance on games that you're getting now.

rsetter1

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2007
No matter what you buy/build there will be something more powerfull, less money, better looking before you get your new rig broke in. That's the frustrating part of it all.
What I have a hard time with is that the faster my PC is the more impatient I get. I want it and I want it now.
Is there some kind of support group for this kind of mania?
The bottom line is "Are you old enough for Granny Goose". Sorry wrong commericial.
The bottom line is, "Are you satisfied with your build and did you learn from your first build". If you can answer yes then you hit a home run.
Good job Paintballz

Leonides

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2007
Nice setup, regardless of the "current (Amp)" output, on your PSU, even if it does meet specifications for your processor, and video cards etc., I'd be sweating everytime I play hardcore games on a $50 PSU. Unfortunately the less established the PSU manufacturer is, the more likely you'll get a PSU that fluctuates way to much, making it less reliable over time. The good thing is that since your PSU only cost you $50, it serves as a (temporary) fix to get your system up and running in the mean time. You can always buy a higher end PSU once you save enough money, so long as you don't stress your computer under heavy loads.

As far as Graphics cards go, with the $220 you spent on both cards, you could have maybe just used an old PC case instead of buying one, I know it sounds like much trouble to find one, but if you really wanted to, you could ask around and I bet you'd get someone that has an old BEST Buy HP PC that has a decent case. Use that, and having bought just one extra fan unit would have probably been okay too. That saves you $80 and downgrading your mobo a little would get you an extra $20 or so. You have about $320 to get yourself an 8800GTS now, save tax and whatever other small difference in price. I know this sounds like a tedious process, especially having to look around for a used case but once it's up and running, you won't regret it, if performance is what you really want. AN extra $50 will get you the power supply you need to complete your whole system. Borrow $50 or something. :lol: Good build though, you can still do a lot of gaming with that, it's just not optimal as far as getting the greatest bang for the buck. All you really need is to get your PSU upgraded to secure that $800 investment you just made. 8800GTS or no 8800GTS you can still find a PSU that would have worked with an extra $50. I just recently saw a few single, dual, and quad rail 12v PSU's that provide enough current @ $100, some with a $50 savings which would put them at $150 otherwise, and these are quality manufacturers. The catch is, they provide relatively low power. In non-SLI mode, you won't need more than 600W or so, with the setup that (you) have, so it's perfect for you anyway. Just don't decide to add another 8800GTS in the future without upgrading that PSU again. :pt1cable: Maybe later you can upgrade that processor to the new 64 X2 3.2Ghz already debuting in Japan in a few days, or AMD's Phenom, or their integrated video/cpu eventually :bounce: man I like these smileys

Maybe I'm missing something here.
Yes, the 7600GTs don't require PCI-E power connectors.
But, your power supply, that Ultra X-Finity 600 Watt Sli Ready PSU actually has TWO PCI-E 6 pin connectors.
Even if it didn't have the PCI-E connectors the video cards that require the PCI-E connectors include a pig-tail connector in the accessory package. The PSU only has to provide enough AMPS on the 12volt rail.
That Ultra X-Finity has more than the required Amps to run the 8800GTS, or even GTX for that matter.
Its even listed as an approved PSU over at SLIzone.com.
A single 7600GT draws about 51watts and a single 8800GTS about 115watts so its not like you'd be saving the planet running 2 7600GTs. You did sacrifice MAJOR gaming performance gains to save just ~$70.

Since it's already a done deal I guess we can hope that others drop into the forum and ask for opinions and options before the buy the hardware.