Sign in with
Your question

AMD sold piece of Dresden FAB

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
August 15, 2007 9:06:11 AM

The sources close to tooling manufactures are whispering aroud that AMD already closed the deal with somebody at east and that DAMIT already sold a piece of the FAB in Dresden.

AMD desperately needs cash and by selling the old nanotechnology equipment it can raise between 300 to 500 million dollars.

The same sources have implied that the deal for selling between 300 to 500 million dollars has already been made with a buyer that wants to remain unknown but we know that it comes from east. We also know that the buyer is not TSMC. We also know that AMD sold some of its old equipment that it doesn't need any more.

AMD needs the cash to return the Morgan Stanley debt and as the company needs it for its operations. This is really tough year for AMD, the toughest in years.

http://www.fudzilla.com/index.php?option=com_content&ta... ;id=2456&Itemid=1
August 15, 2007 11:49:22 AM

Yes fudzilla has allways been the most reliable source of AMD related news LAUGHING OUT LOUD(I know there is a short version, but hopefully this way the fools who actually belive what the fud will notice how ironic I am being in my statement, afterall if you belive that you might belive anything)

BTW. the earth isn't flat either ;) 
August 15, 2007 11:55:18 AM

WHAT!!! EARTH ISN'T FLAT!!! OH GOD!!!

WHY!
Related resources
August 15, 2007 12:34:10 PM

lies, it looks flat to me, cept for the mountains of course :) 
August 15, 2007 12:47:03 PM

of course the earth is flat, it it wasn't flat why don't we fall over?
August 15, 2007 12:59:16 PM

awesome, a thread hijacked by the subversive THG flat earth society.
August 15, 2007 4:40:38 PM

AMD raised $1.5B in Senior notes to pay off the Morgan Stanley loan. It just closed so they should be free of it by next month or so.

I would think that they are using Fab 30 for that since no one else is really doing 65nm SOI. They could definitely setup bulk silicon for chipsets at 90nm.

It's not really as bad as it seems. Times are tough but sales are growing. In my opinion, they should definitely drop Kuma well before 2008 to get the desktop margins up somewhat.

That's where they're getting killed.
August 15, 2007 5:16:41 PM

So... AMD is only how far in the hole now?

I do not see them making money this quarter. Its been all down hill from then. In fact, I think they are about to fall over the edge of Earth!

I wont belive anyone who says that the world isn't flat without proof. Tell me where in the bible where it says its not flat?
August 15, 2007 5:32:47 PM

Geesh people.. think a little bit.

AMDs MS loan was pretty strict on what AMD could do when it got capital, mainly it was used to pay them back.

By issueing more notes, yes they are trading one debt for another BUT, now they can sell off their old 200mm equipment and use that money to buy new equipment they need.

They couldn't do that while they still had the MS loan, because that money made from selling that equipment, which was used for collateral on the loan, would have went straight to MS.

Anyways, fud hasn't been to reliable and shouldn't be looked at as reliable, more along the lines as rumor mill talk at the water cooler.
August 15, 2007 6:38:42 PM

I don't remember reading in the bible that the earth is round or flat, but I do remember reading about a guy from ancient egypt who discovered the circumference of the earth by measuring the angle at which sunlight struck two points that were 700km apart at noon on the summer solstice. he ended up with around 40k kilometers, which is not bad for govt work.

fudzilla rulz!
August 15, 2007 6:52:45 PM

Its probably old fab gear anyway.
August 15, 2007 6:54:46 PM

bryan1995 said:
I don't remember reading in the bible that the earth is round or flat, but I do remember reading about a guy from ancient egypt who discovered the circumference of the earth by measuring the angle at which sunlight struck two points that were 700km apart at noon on the summer solstice. he ended up with around 40k kilometers, which is not bad for govt work.

fudzilla rulz!

Wasn't he put to death by the christians?
August 15, 2007 7:57:38 PM

AMD no longer builds on 90nm,has been building 65nm, is switching to 45nm and already is planing to go into 32nm shortly befor the end of 2009.
August 15, 2007 7:58:49 PM

Heh... they are still following in Intels footsteps... Its so cute!
August 15, 2007 8:04:35 PM

bryan1995 said:

fudzilla rulz!

Maybe the other 15k Kilos got lost in the translation? Ancient Egyptian Hieroglyphics to Aramaic to Ancient Hebrew to Greek to English?
August 15, 2007 8:19:39 PM

ZOldDude said:
AMD no longer builds on 90nm,has been building 65nm, is switching to 45nm and already is planing to go into 32nm shortly befor the end of 2009.

What is the X2 6400+ build on? 45+45nm? dual 45nm?
August 15, 2007 8:38:56 PM

bfellow said:
What is the X2 6400+ build on? 45+45nm? dual 45nm?

It was the hand picked/sorted last of the 90nm builds.
The only thing new about it is the # stamped on it.

The 90nm plant is probibly going to push out the 45nm and then in 2009 one of the plants will move over to the 32nm.

IBM and AMD are also trying to prefect a 22nm build but that won't happen for any cpu builder for a few years.
August 15, 2007 8:56:14 PM

ZOldDude said:
It was the hand picked/sorted last of the 90nm builds.
The only thing new about it is the # stamped on it.

The 90nm plant is probibly going to push out the 45nm and then in 2009 one of the plants will move over to the 32nm.

IBM and AMD are also trying to prefect a 22nm build but that won't happen for any cpu builder for a few years.

Just think what computers will be like in 20 years...boggles the mind, you know?
August 15, 2007 9:19:27 PM

spaztic7 said:

I wont belive anyone who says that the world isn't flat without proof. Tell me where in the bible where it says its not flat?

Isaiah 40:22 says:"There is One who is dwelling above the circle of the earth..."

Bible does confirm the Earth is round.
August 15, 2007 9:55:54 PM

Not that this is a place for Bible discussion or debate, the article you linked to, the author takes every reference as literal. Anyone that has read the Bible knows that there are many references that are either figurative or symbolic. I really like the quote in the article from Daniel that talks about the big tree that could be seen around the earth and the author uses that as a point of arguement but that scripture is one of the prophet Daniel having a vision with a symbolic meaning. So of course a literal tree could not be seen on a spherical earth. And every scripture in that article is incorrectly biased like that. The bible does agree with science that the earth is round (Isaiah 40:22), the earth hangs upon nothing (Job 26:7)and the water cycle (Ecclesiastes 1:7).

August 16, 2007 12:09:07 PM

rmicro1 said:
Isaiah 40:22 says:"There is One who is dwelling above the circle of the earth..."

Bible does confirm the Earth is round.

No circles are flat, spheres are round.
August 16, 2007 12:12:53 PM

rmicro1 said:
Not that this is a place for Bible discussion or debate, the article you linked to, the author takes every reference as literal. Anyone that has read the Bible knows that there are many references that are either figurative or symbolic. I really like the quote in the article from Daniel that talks about the big tree that could be seen around the earth and the author uses that as a point of arguement but that scripture is one of the prophet Daniel having a vision with a symbolic meaning. So of course a literal tree could not be seen on a spherical earth. And every scripture in that article is incorrectly biased like that. The bible does agree with science that the earth is round (Isaiah 40:22), the earth hangs upon nothing (Job 26:7)and the water cycle (Ecclesiastes 1:7).

The tree could be see around the earth if the earth was flat. And you just said that the bible said the tree was seen around the eath by Daniel. Thus, the earth is flat.

Who cares about your fancy dancy 3d vision.
August 17, 2007 4:56:48 AM

Here is a very interesting article I found about the hebrew word I found that is translated circle:

Is it proper to use Isaiah 40:22 to prove that the Bible teaches that the earth is round, Isaiah’s words being written at a time when men thought the earth was flat? Some have expressed the thought that the word “circle” could refer to something circular but flat.—J. L., Denmark.

Isaiah 40:22 reads: “There is One who is dwelling above the circle of the earth.” When this text says that God sits above the circle of the earth, this harmonizes with the fact that the earth is circular, viewed from all directions, but that also makes it globular in form. The Hebrew word hhug here is defined in A Concordance of the Hebrew and Chaldee Scriptures by B. Davidson as “circle, sphere.”

This same Hebrew word for circle is found in Job 22:14, where the New World Translation says of God: “On the vault of heaven he walks about.” Now, we know that the vault of heaven as seen from the earth is hemispherical, or like a half globe. The other half of the hemispherical vault of heaven extends below the earth upon which we stand and hence cannot be seen directly by us. In harmony with this fact, when Isaiah 40:22 says that God sits above the circle of the earth, then the word “circle” here is in the same Hebrew sense as that found in Job 22:14.

Thus it follows that the word “circle” in Isaiah 40:22 must mean something that is rotund, just as the appearance of the sky viewed from the earth is rotund and like a vault.
August 17, 2007 7:26:09 AM

OOI!!

The THG Fat Eath Society dose not have any religious affiliations, we're here to discuss the wonders of technology, and have a few laughs along the way, not to debate religions.

But if the THG flat Earth Society had a religious association i'm positive it would be Pastarian.

As for selling the fab, hopefully this will free up some cash for future R&D, or more current production facilities, both of which would be good for AMD. It's great news that any money they make doesn't have to be spent on debt repayment immediately, and that they now have some say as to what they do with their own money.

Ramen
August 17, 2007 8:10:18 AM

This has gone way off topic from the OP and most people clearly don't care so I will add my opinions and views to the currant mix...anyone that blindly believes dead people can/have come back to life becuse some person 2,000 year ago wrote it without thinking is not in touch with the world and laws of this universe around them in which they live.

Voodoo is a term that comes to mind that has as much 'facts' to support it and that basicly covers all religions on this planet.

Wars are fought over food/water/resorce and...Voodoo.
That is the history of things.
Everyone thinks they are the only ones that are correct or have a right to everything.
Pure bullcrap.

What ever the the cuase of 'everything' clearly most everyone is wrong...but not 100% as there clearly also was a start.
That 'start' is what people who have no answeres throughout time call God.
Rather than fight and die over it eons again and again wake up and look for the real answeres.
Think about seaching for the facts and undestanding of the how/way of the start or 'God' as a commom goal.
After all we are no longer Cave Men and think fire is 'magic'.

Does anyone else agree it's time for a Mod to lock this thread?
August 17, 2007 2:18:42 PM

ZOldDude said:
Voodoo is a term that comes to mind that has as much 'facts' to support it and that basically covers all religions on this planet.

They made good video cards too.

ZOldDude said:

After all we are no longer Cave Men and think fire is 'magic'.

Speak for yourself buddy. Like I have said in another thread, we are getting tiered of this getting picked on stuff. We are a minority, and if my memory is correct; that means in America I have more power then you.

But all this talk of the start and end start to make me think that AMD may be prolonging their end by selling their fabrications. Like it has been said before, they don't need it anymore. I lean more Intel myself and I love to hear the news that AMD is selling their stuff to try to pay off debt. But even I know it is a bad thing if AMD goes under. That only means high prices and then the legal battles that will prove at that point that Intel is a monopoly. This may take place but I think AMD should be bought out, bought by Samsung. Why not?
August 17, 2007 3:42:01 PM

Without a doubt, this is not the kind of forum that bible topics are typically discussed. However, one thing I really appreciate about this forum, is that there are some here that are serious logical thinkers. I see this from a number here and have come to expect reliable answers to a number of technical questions posed in the forums. This is a great forum.

However, when someone poses a question (show me where the bible says the earth isn't flat), it should not matter if it is a little off topic. This is a place to help each other find answers. I for sure am not saying that we should come here for every debatable topic because that would surely cause the mods to have to step in since there are many that simply wish to cause argues, hate and tension. If we keep things reasonable, show that we are mature individuals, then we should be able to help each other, even if the topic isn't quite technology based. On a side note, I will never pass on an opportunity to prove that the bible does support science.

Back to the original topic, if you were in the hospital with a serious illness, wouldn't you try to delay your death as long as you can hoping a cure could be developed? The same is with AMD. If selling the Fab brings in some much needed cash and reduces some expenses until the stabilize the finacial problems, then there shouldn't be any issues. As long as it doesn't affect their ability to meet demand and ability to keep their customers happy.
August 17, 2007 4:25:12 PM

so if the earth is flat, wouldn't there be an edge?
August 17, 2007 6:37:53 PM

To rmicro:

You are absolutely right in you last post! About the off topic and also the death of AMD, you had me laughing there for a second. But it only makes since to postpone what may be with you. I hope AMD can come back from what is looking like the inevitable end. I hope they can find the money to pay off loans, even if that means selling their stuff, and also start making revenue. I still think there is a buyout about to happen.

to rosecityotters:

It is flat; to prove it you have to go to Canada. Once there, you realize that you are on the edge. And also, AMD may be staring at the edge. It all depends on September and November. For September is the release month of Barcelona and the same day Intel is releasing Penryn. November is the target date for the 9800 gtx. If Intel and Nvidia have their way, it will be a sad and bleak day for AMD.
August 17, 2007 6:47:40 PM

Hence the saying... "He's (She's) gone over the edge."
August 17, 2007 8:11:39 PM

ZOldDude said:
there clearly also was a start.
Funny that you should state it that way. The very use of the word "start" implies the existence of time. Yet if Einstein is to be believed, time and space are inextricably linked. So there could be no time without space (or could there, hmmm)? Quite the conundrum, isn't it?

As to the original post - it sounds to me like AMD is just selling used equipment, not the fab. That's just normal day to day business in the semiconductor manufacturing world. Intel has an entire group dedicated to resale of used stuff, it's nothing out of the ordinary.
August 17, 2007 8:53:45 PM

spaztic7 said:
To rmicro:

You are absolutely right in you last post! About the off topic and also the death of AMD, you had me laughing there for a second. But it only makes since to postpone what may be with you. I hope AMD can come back from what is looking like the inevitable end. I hope they can find the money to pay off loans, even if that means selling their stuff, and also start making revenue. I still think there is a buyout about to happen.

to rosecityotters:

It is flat; to prove it you have to go to Canada. Once there, you realize that you are on the edge. And also, AMD may be staring at the edge. It all depends on September and November. For September is the release month of Barcelona and the same day Intel is releasing Penryn. November is the target date for the 9800 gtx. If Intel and Nvidia have their way, it will be a sad and bleak day for AMD.

so then your saying if we go to canada, to the edge of canada, we can fall off into space? actually a better question would be when you say flat, what kind of flat is it? as such like a coin or piece of paper? one side of the world on the "heads" side and the other side on the "tails" side?
August 20, 2007 12:30:08 PM

you see, thats the real debate there.
a b à CPUs
a b À AMD
August 20, 2007 1:10:33 PM

The way of the Jedi is the only true path, anyone who says different should have a lightsaber shoved up their bottom.
August 20, 2007 1:17:54 PM

IM REAL SORRY FOR GOING OFFTOPIC, BUT I THOUGHT I COULD POST THIS FLAT EARTH UNRELATED THING HERE

We wrote last week that someone from the east bought a piece of nano technology equipment from AMD’s Dresden factory. Sources close to tool manufacturing companies have confirmed the detail and gave us more details about it.

To our surprise it turns out that a russian government gave the money and bought between 300 and $500 million of equipment. This is the part of Russian initiative to get its country more nanotechnology resources and god knows that they have the money.

The government gave away some 5 billion total as it wants to get some improvements in nanotechnology.
AMD is still not ready to announce this deal and we are sure that Federal Trade Commision as well as the European Union wont go easy on such a deal. If the trade commsions say yes, then a piece of old Dresden equipment will go to Russia.

http://www.fudzilla.com/index.php?option=com_content&ta... p;id=2537&Itemid=1
August 20, 2007 3:20:15 PM

Valdis said:
The sources close to tooling manufactures are whispering aroud that AMD already closed the deal with somebody at east and that DAMIT already sold a piece of the FAB in Dresden.

AMD desperately needs cash and by selling the old nanotechnology equipment it can raise between 300 to 500 million dollars.

The same sources have implied that the deal for selling between 300 to 500 million dollars has already been made with a buyer that wants to remain unknown but we know that it comes from east. We also know that the buyer is not TSMC. We also know that AMD sold some of its old equipment that it doesn't need any more.

AMD needs the cash to return the Morgan Stanley debt and as the company needs it for its operations. This is really tough year for AMD, the toughest in years.

http://www.fudzilla.com/index.php?option=com_content&ta... ; ;id=2456&Itemid=1

Actually AMD issued new Senior notes to cover paying off Morgan Stanley. These additional sales will help of course. The rumor is that it was Russia and that the FTC has to approve the sale. They supposedly want most if not all of AMDs 90nm tools.

If that enables them to speed the Fab38 ramp back up it will make a HUGE difference at the end of the year since Fab 38 can do most Brisbane and Turion, while Chartered picks up the slack. That will free Fab36 to only do K10 and beyond.

A real key will be when Shanghai tapes out. if it's supposed to show up by Q208 then it needs to tape out soon. Though there is the advantage that Shanghai is just a shrink and not a new arch.
August 20, 2007 7:23:25 PM

Holly He11, I did not know that "The Red" are coming back.

Actually, I really hope they let this happen. It will place competition back between Intel and AMD. It may even give AMD a heal up.... but then again, they do need to pay off a LOT of debt before they can do anything else.
August 20, 2007 11:34:49 PM

BaronMatrix said:
Actually AMD issued new Senior notes to cover paying off Morgan Stanley. These additional sales will help of course. The rumor is that it was Russia and that the FTC has to approve the sale. They supposedly want most if not all of AMDs 90nm tools.

If that enables them to speed the Fab38 ramp back up it will make a HUGE difference at the end of the year since Fab 38 can do most Brisbane and Turion, while Chartered picks up the slack. That will free Fab36 to only do K10 and beyond.

A real key will be when Shanghai tapes out. if it's supposed to show up by Q208 then it needs to tape out soon. Though there is the advantage that Shanghai is just a shrink and not a new arch.

First, it is (according to the the information available) correct that AMD issued the senior stock to help pay of the loan to Morgan Stanley,

http://www.tgdaily.com/content/view/33291/118/

HOWEVER, this proposal will be the second offering of senior notes this year for the purpose of paying off debts(Morgan Stanley), the first being for 2.2 billion in Apri/May. Issuances of senior notes up to $3.7 Bil, less than 6 months apart does not bode well for AMD, unless one chooses to gauge them on the Enron standard.

http://www.tgdaily.com/content/view/31754/118/

Furthermore, PCRetail does not agree with your "rosy" assesment,

http://www.pcretailmag.com/news/28488/AMD-aims-to-raise-15-billion

and I quote:
Quote:

It could be viewed as significant that AMD has issued senior notes due to their very nature. The notes, a form of bond that is only available to qualified institutional buyers due to regulations governing the transactions due to their nature.

The significance of them is that should the company issuing them go bankrupt, the purchasers, as senior creditors, have to, by law, be paid back first before anyone else, including those who the debt was originally incurred from. The other inference is that AMD believe there is enough risk of them going bankrupt to issue senior notes.

While this may seem like a "great deal", -money for nothing-, to those individuals who dont understand them or their implications, senior notes are neither a great deal nor money for nothing. AMD is not merely issuing new stock, but digging its hole deeper. Senior notes come with a price tag, and their issuance, vs regular stock, is a sign of desperation due to the garuntees of payment before all other debts in the event of bankruptcy. In order to be allowed to make the first issuance, AMD had to provide extra garuntees to Morgan Stanley which resulted in reduction of funds available from the sales.

Where does this "rumour" that russia is purchasing AMDs equipment come from?

Oh, BTW< have you decided on a number yet?

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/244051-28-black-knight-white-knight-time-short#bas
Quote:

So which is it 6.8%, 7.1%, or 5%, and 2% or 2.4%? Youve now made 3 posts with 3 different number(s).

and have you decided to come clean yet?
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/forum2.php?config=tomshardwareus.inc&cat=28&post=244039&page=3&p=3&sondage=0&owntopic=3&trash=&trash_post=&print=0&numreponse=0"e_only=0&new=0&nojs=0#t1737740
!