brandon6199

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2007
Hi. I'm new to the forums and I seem to be having a slight problem with my Intel Core 2 Duo E6550 processor. It idles at about 42 degrees celcius, and at full load it might go over 50 degrees celcius. I know plenty of other people that have the same processor as mine, and idle at about 30 degrees celcius, and barely even go over 40 degrees at full load.

I have a Zalman CNPS9500 CPU cooler, and Arctic Silver 5 applied. I am positive I installed the CNPS9500 correctly, and I am almost positive I applied the thermal paste correctly. I put a relatively small dot in the center of the CPU and spread it with syran wrap over my finger and made a thin layer of it.

I have pretty good airflow in my case. 1 120 mm intake fan in the front, and 3 exhaust 80 mm fans at the side and back, not to mention a PCI Fan card to blow onto my graphics card and the 92 mm fan on my CNPS9500 which moves quite a bit of air.

I think I might have the answer to my problems, but I thought I'd post here just in case. Well it's really hot where I live. It sometimes reaches over 100 degrees fahrenheit in the daytime here, and its just really hot here. That might be the problem, OR the fact that 2 of my 80 mm exhaust fan point directly into a wall :p

I overclocked my CPU to 3.00 GHZ, with stock vcore @ 1.264 volts.

And also, my AS5 hasn't completely, "burned in" yet. I applied it about a week ago.

Oh and one more thing :p My CPU Temp is 41 degrees celcius, but my Core #1 and Core #2 temps are about 27 degrees celcius. Which reading should I go by?

Sorry if this is in the wrong section, wrong forum, or hell if my question is even stupid :p

Thanks.

barneybadass

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2006
Hmmm... are you sure your HS is down correctly?

I've heard of several folks having a corner of the HS not secured.. so it's not making proper contact with the CPU.

Kari

Splendid
about the core temps. It seems all the 6x50 processors have tjunction of 100c and not the earlier 85C, so add 15C to the core temps and you're close to the correct temps.
And if i did my calculatios correctly 100F is about 38C, so theres your problem :p

grieve

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2004
I would re-set the heatsink…

Apply the paste following the Arctic Sliver website directions.
http://www.arcticsilver.com/ins_route_step2intelas5.html

You described your application of the paste as follows, which is not the correct way, perhaps you have bad conductivity.
'' I put a relatively small dot in the center of the CPU and spread it with syran wrap over my finger and made a thin layer of it. ''

***edited my link as the origional did not work***

I think you are getting people reading temps in a inaccurate way.

Motherboard software is never accurate.
Speedfan reads 15c too low on 100c T-junction cpus
coretemp 0.95 should read right.

http://www.thecoolest.zerobrains.com/CoreTemp/ <----best way
www.almico.com/speedfan.php<--- works too if you add the 15c offset to it for 100c T-junction cpus.
speedfanqn3.gif

don't forget to tell it to "remember it" for each core

vylo

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2006
My comp is stuffed in a corner in a hot room with little to promote air flow.

With a Zalman and 2 fans (front and back). I get under 40 idle.

I think you seated yours correctly. My got a little loose and my temps when to 80 idle. My best guess is it is:

A. The location of your computer (close to wall, stuff piled on it, in a hot room, etc.)

B. The way you applied the thermal paste (I have lower temps with the stock paste).

C. You have dust gathering on the heatskink.

Check C first. Blow it out with some compressed air. If A isn't the case either, then move onto B as a last resort.

brandon6199

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2007

I bought the heatsink about a week ago :p There is no dust on it whatsoever. A might be the problem, but I might try B. Thanks guys :pt1cable: