Further AMD Barcelona delays

weskurtz81

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2006
Nilo,

You might want to put some kind of disclaimer or make people aware that you know what you are posing could very well be 100% false. Come on man, it the Inquirer.

nilo

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007

I am not going to defend the Inquirer. They do post a lot of rumors. Some of them turn to be wrong, most of them are correct. You should also know that if anything Inquirer is a pro-AMD source. I believe most people on this forum know what Inquirer is, I just wanted to share the news.

Which is no worse and possibly much better and more accurate than a lot of people who post on this forum about things like 'the 2900XTX and how badass it was going to be' & 'X38 is going to do SLi' at the moment the 'facts' being thrown around about G90 & G92 performance and price and release date have nothing on any Inq article, at least the Inq has the header 'News,Reviews,Facts & Friction' which is what should have been in the title of quite a few of some of the posts I've read over the the last few months on this forum.

This might be a good time to buy AMD shares.

Edit: seriously. One could make good money buying when everybody thinks the company is doomed and selling when the company is popular again. At least that's the theory :lol:

NMDante

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2002
I'll believe the delay when September 10th comes around, and there is no Barcelona CPUs available to the channel. Now, AMD has said they will be limited, and might even just have the 1.9GHz available at launch, but I'll give them the usual 3-4 weeks to satisfy the channel's needs before claiming "paper launch" (even though they had claimed mid-summer in the beginning of the year).

But if AMD does not have the channel supplied by November 11th, it could disastrous for them, with Penryn arriving around that date.

J3EBS

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2007
Damn that comment about stock reminded me.. Before the AMD/ATI buyout, I was seriously considering buying stock. Anyone who ever told me that procrastination is a bad thing can now officially shove it. I won't ever change.

nilo

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007

That was not the point of th original article. AMD's denial also misses it. Inquirer said that AMD promised to deliver 2.0GHz parts mid August and it did not. It is a fact not a speculation. AMD saying that they are on track to deliver the parts by September 10th is a delay.

I guess it is not a big deal after all. Yes Barcelona is somewhat late. We'll know in couple of weeks whether it delivers in performance department.

wolverinero79

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2001
Best part of that article, jwlangs, was when I clicked on it, it had an ad for Intel! :-D

They could theoretically launch in September with no real product until the end of the year. Wouldn't that be business as usual for AMD? It's only the server processors in September, right? It's much less visible if the company can't provide tons of chips to corporations rather than to consumers (i.e., you can't usually newegg the latest server chip).

If AMD actually "delays" the product, they'll get a much larger black eye than from just extending their paper launch. Paper launch with product available in October vs November doesn't seem too different to me. I'd still just like to see a 3rd party benchmark.

AMD could seriously sue if anyone broke that NDA. If someone released news that the chip sucked, AMD's stock would fall through the floor, costing many people in the company milllions and millions. I'll be watching on August 31st to see how many executives dump stock.